J's up front and Heavy in the rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
Grrrr, been searching for 30 minutes but still nothing found, there's so much posted regarding lifts but nothing on this setup. J springs on the front and 2.5" heavy springs in the rear. Does anyone run this setup? please advise...
I have J's all the way around w/ trim packers on the front right now, and the stink bug is very much stinkin'. Wondering what heavies in the rear will do... I'm after about an 1" lower in the rear.
Setup: hardly any rear cargo, Slee front bumper, home-made (but heavy) sliders, factory rear bumperettes. So you see, I'm heavy up front...

850J/864 here.

Unloaded the 863J/864 are about the same height. As load increases the 864 drops about 1/2 the distance the 863J does. I think 864's will send you in the wrong direction. I will snap a pic of my "rake"

The top photo is my "standard load" which is about 50kg in the back. This is my drawers, CO2 and my standard tools. In this photo the main and sub tanks are full.
The second photo is with 100kg additional weight in the back and the third is with 200kg additional weight.

I am not running packers at either end.

D-
std.jpg
100kg.jpg
200kg.jpg

Thnaks for pics. So you say 864 is not what I want? The J springs are a friends. He temporarily has my 851/860 springs to trouble shoot driveline vibration (which the medium 2.5 lift did correct this). We'll keep the two this way until he can correct what he needs to.
We changed the rear springs first, making his truck have the 850J/860 setup and he only has sliders and a large tool box in the cargo, it looked level but maybe on the "too level" side so that's why I thought 850J/864.
So maybe I should do 850J/863... thoughts?

It think we should clarify a bit.

I may have missed something. I think the 864 (my set-up) may be considered "extra heavy" and the 863/J considered "heavy"

What you refered to as a "J/2.5 heavy" combo may be an 850J/863. This particular combination yields a fairly "level" truck with a moderate rear cargo load. An 863J vs an 864 is about the same unloaded height as I mentiond above. So this can be a bit tricky to achieve the stance you are looking for.

If the 850J/863 is a bit too level, the 864 will really raise the rear fast and an 863J may be a better choice as it will compress faster than the 864.

Last edited:
cruiserdan said:
It think we should clarify a bit.

I may have missed something. I think the 864 (my set-up) may be considered "extra heavy" and the 863/J considered "heavy"

What you refered to as a "J/2.5 heavy" combo may be an 850J/863. This particular combination yields a faily "level" truck with a moderate rear cargo load. An 863J vs an 864 is about the same unloaded height as I mentiond above. So this can be a bit tricky to achieve the stance you are looking for.

If the 850J/863 is a bit too level, the 864 will really raise the rear fast and an 863J may be a better choice as it will compress faster than the 864.

Got it! Thanks for the clarification. So what I should really do is since I have the 863J on the rear right now, I will experiment with different weight loads in the back and take notes and pics like you have. Then when I have to give the springs back I can be clear if I want the 863J or 863 but definitely not the 864...

I'm benefiting from having different springs to try for free right now, can't beat that.:)

Agreed, being able to "test" without having to buy a bunch of springs is very helpful.

I should add that my vehicle "sat" the way it looks in the bottom photo when it had 863's in the rear and the "load" in the top photo. That should give you some idea. Additional food-for-thought, 863J's with the load in the center photo would look like the 864's do in the bottom photo.

D-

cruiserdan said:
Additional food-for-thought, 863J's with the load in the center photo would look like the 864's do in the bottom photo.
D-

Much food indeed.
I guess I do have some things that stay in the cargo area, as I have a custom shelf that covers the cargo area made of 3/4" plywood and a pelican case for tools under it. I made the shelf just high enough for pelican cases to slide under and be secure... but that's another thread...

I have the 850J/863 setup. No rear jumpseats, and no aftermarket bumpers etc, and it has a slight nose down attitude.

TY
P5040236.JPG

Hey Eric, mine is set up with 850J/863's also and have been pretty happy with it. (same setup I ran at tellico with ya).

I ran 850J+1"/863 for awhile. I liked it. Sat level, drove well etc...

Then I got a set of 863J's for free.... :D

I had the 850J/863 combo at first. With an ARB and winch up front and no cargo or rear bumper in the back the truck still had some rake toward the front.

I then added 1 inch spacers to the front and the stance was fairly level. It looked good in my opinion. You already have the J's in the front with spacers. All you need now is the 863's in the back and it should level out.

As a side note, when the Slee rear bumper went on I had to add two sets of trim packers to the back to compensate.

Hope that helps.

informationjunky said:
Hey Eric, mine is set up with 850J/863's also and have been pretty happy with it. (same setup I ran at tellico with ya).

I seem to remember your truck sitting well, but alas, I really wish I would have been paying attention. You doing MLK run this year?

CruisinGA said:
I ran 850J+1"/863 for awhile. I liked it. Sat level, drove well etc...

Is this what I drove whilst driving your truck in N. GA a few months ago? right now I can't do the 1" Mr. Gasket (I do have it though) even though I do have extended brake lines and breathers. Remind me what else I need to modify if I keep raising the front and put the 1" spacers in... or I'll just search.

Land Speeder said:
Is this what I drove whilst driving your truck in N. GA a few months ago? right now I can't do the 1" Mr. Gasket (I do have it though) even though I do have extended brake lines and breathers. Remind me what else I need to modify if I keep raising the front and put the 1" spacers in... or I'll just search.

Yep I believe thats what I was runnin...

J's, caster plates, homemade 2" swaybar drops, Mr G spacers.

I did have an ARB that you don't, so the Mr G's may be unnecessary on your truck. I also don't carry a spare like you.

CruisinGA said:
I did have an ARB that you don't, so the Mr G's may be unnecessary on your truck. I also don't carry a spare like you.

I have a slee front on it's way in the next day or so. Picked it up used... or atleast from an individual who never used it.
I don't carry a spare around town, because realisitcally, I could walk home if I ever needed to. And most of my driving is around town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom