Builds Joltman's Build: The Overkill Weekender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had asked that question before the install. I was told that the 285/70/R18 wouldn't fit in the spare location. I've read here a few success stories, but no detailed info on removing a bracket that could block the tire from tucking fully underneath the chassis. What I need to do (which I've not had time to do yet) is take down the current spare, take off a wheel and just try it. There's a blizzard happening right now, so I doubt I'll get the chance this weekend. Maybe next weekend. I'll also need the torque spec on the wheels.
Trying one sounds like a good plan. I’ve read as well about some needing to remove that bracket, but mine fit without removal. Tight, but fits fine. 2010LC for reference, in case the bracket situation might have changed in later years.

Trying one sounds like a good plan. I’ve read as well about some needing to remove that bracket, but mine fit without removal. Tight, but fits fine. 2010LC for reference, in case the bracket situation might have changed in later years.
@Tommy Dwyer thanks for the info. I'll be checking it out as soon as I can.

I was able to fit the spare 285/70/18 RG under my 16 with no issue. It was about as tight as it could possibly be, but it fit!

ACtC-3f8_vWfpP-LHXzYIwr3-NLZEdq7gvOywhh1kxIw9w5d6RfDf8wtLRsB1jRSZiSu7_y81gOiMiVIoddO39ciSq6TCAeo-H2wHn2660YwO34bZ3Ff1G8K2zh73hz12DOFvc1sbN8SkGbGQaCbXQEUWnNBBQ=w1406-h937-no

ACtC-3fYKnT0ncH3Y2Eic7-4QliVbcappE7BlZ9oqT9rekAGt2beBnKkS64qMHwiHq_42ImRLc4K02wTq1YLQxMGG0rdDygOXKON7oDPi1gNKJGJV6lkk4vAhg2Lgkxohts5lTFGBEPtgMYk-D2Q04qDJE_Nyw=w1406-h937-no

So this past weekend I finished up some 30K maintenance on the truck. I finished greasing the drive shafts, just had one zerk left (front drive shaft, front zerk). I thought I'd have to take the stock plastic skid plate off, but I was able to rotate the shaft (after jacking up the front and putting the truck into neutral) and get access. While this worked, I ran into an annoyance. From what I can see, putting the truck in neutral requires starting the truck, putting it in N, then shutting the truck off. When I do that, I get a constant alarm that I managed to shut off a couple weekends ago, but couldn't figure out how to shut it off this time. I had to get under the truck and grease fast, but finding the right angle was tough. That alarm was blaring over my head and I actually had a bit of ringing in my ears after. I can tell my tinitus has gotten a little worse! Does anyone know how to turn that alarm off!!?? During this time, I also forgot to turn off the auto DRLs. When I was finally done, I tried turning the truck on to take it out of neutral, and I drained the battery. Awesome. I decided to replace the battery which kinda sucks for timing as I wanted to put in a dual battery system. Oh well. I'd rather have a good battery that I know will start than one I'm not 100% sure on.

Just before this fiasco, I thought I'd try out the full size 285/70/R18 Nitto Ridge Grappler in the spare location. This was a good thing to do as I was able to go through the tire change procedure. I lowered the stock spare, set it aside and took off the passenger front wheel and put it in the spare location. It fits, but is super close to the exhaust (about two inches?). I'm not sure if this is safe for a tire or if it'd melt because of it. Here's some photos.

PXL_20210327_192358587.jpg

PXL_20210327_192233536.jpg

PXL_20210327_192222870.jpg

PXL_20210327_192244915.jpg

Pretty sure you could hold your hand that close to the side of the muffler w/o getting burned - the tire should be fine. Also there is so much airflow under there it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe if the tire was above the exhaust then the rising heat over time might be an issue, but that's not the case. Nice looking truck.

A couple updates! After the test fitting above, and with the excellent advice of @tbisaacs and others, I ordered a 285/70/R18 Nitto Ridge Grappler spare. Discount Tire got it for me, but it did take a while as they said they lost my order. Oh well. They got me setup!

This forum is going to cost me a fortune. Not only in the big things, but the little things as well. After some browsing, I came upon a thread regarding the OEM wiper blades. I immediately checked my front and rear blades. The rear blade was stock, but the rubber was original (almost 3 years old). The front blades were some sort of aftermarket. I couldn't tell what they were and in fairness they were still working. However, I thought it could be a fun little win. So now I'm rocking OEM Toyota (not Sightline) wipers. Part Numbers for the fronts of a 2018:

85222-42110
85222-53071

In case anyone needs to know, these are the part numbers for the replacement rubber:

85214-06140 (Front Left? or Right?)
85214-0T040 (Front Left? or Right?)
85214-42040 (Rear)

Last edited:
Pretty sure you could hold your hand that close to the side of the muffler w/o getting burned - the tire should be fine. Also there is so much airflow under there it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe if the tire was above the exhaust then the rising heat over time might be an issue, but that's not the case. Nice looking truck.
Many of us have castrated the resonator off the exhaust. It seems to be meaningless.

We've got a little family vacation planned for the end of the month. I thought it was time to get some safety items checked off the list. I've got the following on its way:

H3R Performance BC HalGuard 250
H3R Performance seat mount and quick release
2 x Elements 50 Extinguishers
1 x Victory 4x4 Rear Molle Panel

Next up is to either purchase or build out a first aid kit. The consensus seems to be lots of gauze. The Overland Bound partnership with Outer Limit Supply seems nice, but maybe overkill? I am considering their First Aid Sling (non-waterproof). Anyone have a suggestion?

Asked Above: "Does anyone know how to turn that alarm off!!??"

Unplug the alarm horn.

I've received lots of parts over the past week. I didn't take enough photos, but here's a couple of the H3R fire extinguisher mounting plate and final install.

PXL_20210515_152127573.jpg

PXL_20210515_195931829.jpg

And here's a photo of all the first aid gear I put together based on recommendations from @doctorres112 and others. I ordered the large first aid bag from Blue Ridge Overland Gear, but it hasn't shipped yet. My guess is that they make these on demand and don't have any sitting around (which makes sense). Doubt I'll get it before the trip.

PXL_20210521_212230631.jpg

Today I had a chance to install this charger. I used an Add-A-Fuse to tap into the passenger seat AC fan circuit as it was only live when the vehicle is ON (not accessory). The original goal for this charger was to work with the USB PD/Data splitter. I'm still not sure that will work, so it will be my wife's phone charger until we get an iPad/Android tablet mounted up.

PXL_20210523_213837532.MP.jpg

PXL_20210523_205548542.jpg

PXL_20210523_204429661.jpg

PXL_20210523_213816878.jpg

I've been so busy that I forgot to update you all on a few upgrades to the truck. Firstly, in the photos above, you can see that I didn't cover any of the power lines I had ran to the USB-C charger, or to the dash cam powers. That wasn't cool. I went back and used some 1/4" split loom and zip ties to wrap all those power wires. Now I will have some protection from abrasion.

I've also installed an M6 60mm hex head bolt in the driver's A-Pillar pull handle. This was to accommodate a RAM ball mount (B sized, 1") On this ball mount, I've added a medium length RAM mount arm, then a triple ball mount (from Amazon) and then the Garmin InReach RAM mount. This gets the Garmin off the suction cup on the windshield. That thing is SUPER solid now. I'll post up a photo as well. I ran the USB charging cable from the InReach mount behind the plastic trim down to the driver's foot well where I popped on an add-a-circuit. Unfortunately, to orient the circuit correctly required a tight fit. I did all this work in anticipation of a long road trip where we were going to use the InReach. About 4 hours into an 18 hour road trip, the Garmin stopped charging. I thought I blew a fuse. I checked and I hadn't. After we got to our destination, I checked the Add-A-Fuse again. It looks like I bent the lead coming off the new fuse just enough to partially sever a wire in that fuse. Now the charging is intermittent, which is a real bummer. There just aren't enough fuse locations that are practical to use!

The next upgrade to the truck (before that road trip) was window tint. I didn't want to be driving for 18 hours and have my son, or wife burn to a crisp (or me on the way back!). I got in contact with Ride & Joy in Parker, CO. They've got tons of 4+ star reviews on Google. I asked them to do all interior windows, including the sunroof. I got an appointment and was told the truck would take 2 days. Not a problem, it was 3 before we had to leave. I stopped by the shop on the evening of the second day to check in, and they weren't done yet. They said that the computer they use said it templates for the interior windows, but after they tints were cut out by the computer, all the templates were off by 1/4". So they had to hand cut the tints for all the windows. The owner and his crew stayed at the shop until 10:15pm that night finishing the truck. He sent me some photos that night. I went back the next day to get the truck and it looked amazing. I've had tint on my old Sequoia, and I thought it was too dark. But this new tint was wonderful. Apparently there is a huge difference between the old 3M tint and this new Xpel tint. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

After the family road trip (2600 miles!), I'd been looking for an upgrade I could make to the truck. I'd been browsing the Slee website, and noticed that they got the ARB Dual Compressor in stock. That seemed to be a rarity, so I jumped on it. I called up the shop and spoke to Brian (good guy). I asked several questions about mounting, the bracket, switch, etc. He answered all of them. I placed my order with him. The next day, I drove up to Golden to get the compressor, Slee bracket, compressor accessory kit, air chuck cover and a stock looking interior push button to replace the ARB button. I also picked up their short OE billet battery terminals and the positive battery cover they sell (I later found out that it will not fit the shorter OE billet terminals). Here's all of the goodies on our dining room table.

PXL_20210820_180550710.MP.jpg

This weekend, my wife gave me time to perform the install. It was a two day job for me (I guess I'm slow?). I've got the compressor mounted, wires ran into the cab and the compressor power ran to the battery. Unfortunately, the battery terminal crimpers I ordered won't be here until Wednesday, so I'll have to wait until next weekend before testing out the compressor. The harness that ARB provides for power (and switches) is very long. I'm going to shorten the power harness by cutting out the extra length and soldering and heat shrinking my connections. I did that on the switch harness as well. I was guestimating how long I'd need that harness. I spliced in two locations (under the hood and in the cab). In retrospect, I should have gotten the internal wiring mostly completed and only spliced once. I doubt I'll have any issues with my two splices. I have got the new button in, but I haven't gotten the RED YELLOW and BLUE wires spliced in yet. I ran out of time today. But, it looks great, and I'm excited to use it on the trails! Here are some photos of the install process.

He sent me some photos that night. I went back the next day to get the truck and it looked amazing. I've had tint on my old Sequoia, and I thought it was too dark. But this new tint was wonderful. Apparently there is a huge difference between the old 3M tint and this new Xpel tint. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
what specs on your tint? the percentages I guess... looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom