Joining the ranks...with an 04! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landie 6.png
landie 7.png
landie 8.png
landie 9.png
landie 10.png

no, but thanks for the suggestion. I will order one. I have half a mind to touch-up the bad spots and reinstall the flares as I don't see myself ponying up 3k right now.

i just looked online, looks like that is for removing stickers and sticky residue. Would that work on paint rub and scratches?

Yeah I used it to get the epoxy off of the body. Went along with a sopping wet towel to swap sections before going at it angled with the eraser wheel, went through 2 power drill battery packs. Came right off. The wheel will eat the paint off of the trim, depending.

i just looked online, looks like that is for removing stickers and sticky residue. Would that work on paint rub and scratches?

No, and if it did, it wouldn't work as effectively as a good wet sand and compound. Obviously, where you need to touch up, there is no paint to buff so yeah haha.

Quick update. I have been driving the truck quite a bit, to the tune of 10k miles in 3 months. Yesterday, I have noticed the screeching sound from the master cylinder. Looks like I have the dreaded pump motor/accumulator issue to deal with. I have done my research and due diligence, waiting on @beno to get back to me with some answers but I guess I wanted to know if more of you had the issue and what approach did you guys take to fix. Replacement of individual parts, or full master assembly?
Cheers...

Another update. I have driven the truck and had to deal with the occasional screech, christmas tree plus alarm a handful of times. Parts were in hand courtesy @beno but had no time to tackle the job. today I had a day off from work so I dedicated all of about an hour and a half needed to fix this problem. Initially, i did not want to remove the master with fear of having to bleed brakes and other complications etc. I did some research on here and found a very good thread on the subject. While some have managed to have their mechanic replace the accumulator and pump motor without removing the master, I could not take that route. Unfortunately, I took no pictures but the job is pretty straight forward. I removed the brake hard lines, electrical connectors and a couple vacuum lines that were in the way. I then got under the dash and removed what seemed to be an electrical component right by the brake pedal, to make easy job of accessing the master cyl nuts. I then removed those, pulled the brake pedal pin and then removed the master cyl. With it on the bench, I was able to replace the accumulator and pump as one unit, just as I got it from @beno. I connected the bypass hose and hard line to the new unit, screwed in the electrical connection, used a bunch of dielectric grease on those screws and then proceeded to install everything in reverse order. Once all done, i went for a test ride and the brakes are great. The screeching noise is gone and everything seems to work in order. Now, I have the old unit that I can give away to someone who would want to just get the replacement motor on ebay and fix it and keep it s a spare, instead of paying full price for both the accumulator and motor as one unit. Apparentlu the motor is the one that goes bad and it can be independently replaced, with a cost of about $350. I could keep it, rebuild it and have it as a spare but I doubt I will need it again. I will box it and ship it to the first person who wants it and pays for shipping only. The unit is free..

Hello....I have an 02 that I am looking to actually put ON some fender flares....factory flares if possible. I noted above that you had removed yours; would you happen to still have yours? I would purchase if available. My truck is also Thundercloud Gray. Thanks!

Hello....I have an 02 that I am looking to actually put ON some fender flares....factory flares if possible. I noted above that you had removed yours; would you happen to still have yours? I would purchase if available. My truck is also Thundercloud Gray. Thanks!
Just pm'ed you.
Cheers

So, yesterday on my way to work my alternator showed signs of giving up the ghost. I was 70 miles away at the office. Bought a reman Denso and hoped that the original would last me to get home. After some tense moments in traffic I finally made it home. I proceeded to change the alternator in the usual fashion. Happy to work on my truck, ye know. By the time I was done I was cursing the Toyota engineers for their dumb afterthought. I bet they said, hmm, we have ac, water pump, power steering, tensioner, what else? Then they must have said, oh crap, alternator, and they shoved it down low under the damn power steering pump. What a pita. Anyway, I am glad it's over and I should be good for another 15 years.

That seemed to be a common thing with Lexus/Toyotas from this era. At least, it was a common fail item on my SC400 for the exact same reason- death by Japanese power steering fluid torture. (Like the Chinese water torture, but more specific).

Also, you're the only other person I've ever seen using Mongoose as your handle in my decades of internetting. High-five from me. Please tell me you also had a Mongoose BMX bike as a kid.

hey, indeed mongoose comes from my bike as young gun, lol. and yes, the power steering pump is slightly leaking at a hose connection. Gotta fix that. Makes a mess of the truck.

B958D732-2FA3-401A-BCEF-558034D53F78.jpeg
I def would join. I have no idea where them trails are. I have looked for places to wheel in the Cats forever but always came up empty. I have done some power lines up in Bovina but required access through someone's yard.

I am also in the Hudson valley in southern Columbia County and picked up an ‘04 100 last week I found in CT. 138k miles, super clean, no rust. Let me know if you guys hit the Catskill trails in the spring.

Aftet meeting @beno over the weekend, having some beers, talking some land cruisers, i have finally managed to get my hundy back on the road. My 86 minitruck pulled daily duty all of last week and today. I had initially replaced the accumulator and pump motor assembly, but the master and module went a couple months later. @beno had initially advised that i replace the whole unit at once, since that is what is recommended but i opted to save money. Regardless, i had to take the whole lot off the truck again, and get it all sorted. The truck is now fine, and functions accordingly. Was a little scared about the bleeding procedure but it worked out fine.

Ok fellow cruiser afficionados, this one has me stumped! Thumping noise from rear, strong enough to feel at low speeds, ( not noisy but like a bump in the tire) diminishes with speed to the point where i can't hear or feel anything. I can ONLY feel it at low speed. It just surfaced this week, never heard/ felt it before. I am sure its a simple coincidence, and has nothing to do with my master cyl unit replacement. I did elevate the rear, felt for play, checked tires, they are newish btw, i greased shafts, but those spin much faster that the tires do so i am counting those out. Feels exactly like a bump in the tire. Anyone have any ideas. Bearings should be humming or whining if they were bad plus i can't feel any play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom