Builds Jmlockwood’s Heritage Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@
Would be curious where you have your bp51s set? When I got your 17 home, I found for mountain driving it was way to boaty, I prefer a more firm stable ride, i did a lot of tweaking on adjustments and it now handles more like my 80 in the mountains corners, which I prefer! It was set to extremely soft settings, I just assumed you had it tuned that way for an extremely plush ride on Florida highways
@Briano I will go out later and check. Have not really driven the truck much to dial it in.

So it appears the LRA tank switch has failed. No big deal really as I had long planned some upgrades to this system. When I first bought the truck I opted to get the upgraded Slee kit that @Eric Sarjeant sells - but only after the tank had already been installed so I decided I would just do the install at a TBD date. Well now seems likes a pretty decent time to go ahead and take care all of this. The shop is going to do away with the LRA switch altogether and just utilize the Switch Pro system for the LRA fuel pump. I won‘t have a gauge but I like the idea of keeping everything simple and operating through the Switch Pro unit.

@SQRRRL had asked for a photo of the new fuel pump. Here you go.

B705214C-302D-4DBE-ABA2-1A6CA2A48510.jpeg
A0D3C90D-F1CB-4328-9000-7CEF68196055.jpeg

You could probably keep the gauge, but just move the switch connection.

Thanks for the update.

Is this the part that failed? Or is there something more internal from there to the pump that is compromised?
image.jpg

@desmocruiser that is the one. I do not want to say with certainty that the switch is actually bad. I can say that it currently does not work and the shop took the switch out....messed with it a few minutes....and said “yea I think the switch is bad.” I already had my mind made up that I was going down this path once the switch stopped working. If we uncover something wrong - other than the switch - I will follow up.

Thanks!

I haven't experienced an issue other than the guage isn't as quick to react and the overall quality seems only average.

I think you are on to a nice improved alternative.

I finally got around to getting this rig up to the shop. So here is what happened. The switch is fine....there was a wiring issue causing the non-power. That did not really matter because I really wanted to get this new pump installed and see how it works.

Shout out to @orangefj45 for some great assistance today. My shop had a couple of questions about the install etc. and Georg was an amazing resource. I went into this project thinking I would just eliminate the LRA switch and route things through the Switch Pro. After some discussions with my shop and Georg, we elected to actually keep the LRA switch. They made a few wiring changes and now the switch is operational and this issue should not show up again in the future. They also installed this new fuel pump and man.....it’s pretty sweet. The noise level is reduced about 80 percent and the fuel transfer speed is really improved. I bought this as a “kit” with new rubber hose and other assortments but after another strategy session decided to only replace the pump. I am a happy camper.

5BCAF36F-6012-4C6B-9029-4B8348009920.jpeg
C8C87B31-CA57-4988-ACC3-679F23D96E21.jpeg

What pump is this and did Georg supply it? Any chance this is similar to what happened in my truck where the pump is dead?

sorry for the hijack Lockwood!!

What pump is this and did Georg supply it? Any chance this is similar to what happened in my truck where the pump is dead?

sorry for the hijack Lockwood!!
The pump is something that Slee provided through @Eric Sarjeant. It came as a kit with hoses, brackets, clamps, etc. There is really nothing wrong with the pump that came with it but this one is just quieter and a little quicker. My pump actually was not dead.....the switch just did not have any power. I originally assumed it was the switch but I was already planning to replace the pump anyway....this was just my excuse to take the truck into the shop. Turns out the switch was fine as well but there was a wiring issue that had caused it to lose power. It was a super cheap fix but I had the pump replaced while the truck was in the shop.

Excellent news!! By the way, Does it take the gauge several minutes to update after it has pumped fuel into the main tank?

It's very common for the gauges to respond slowly ……. that's done on purpose.

The shop is going to do away with the LRA switch altogether and just utilize the Switch Pro system for the LRA fuel pump. I won‘t have a gauge but I like the idea of keeping everything simple and operating through the Switch Pro unit.

@jmlockwood - would you be willing to share the settings used for the Switchpros to have it drive your LRA pump? I have a small LRA tank coming in August, and wouldn't mind running it through the Switchpros.

Any of the switches can be set to On/Off (versus momentary) so you don't have to hold the button down while it transfers, but I thought the LRA switch had an auto pump turnoff timer that lets it run for 1 minute (?) after the tank is empty and then shuts it off?

From the Long Ranger site:
Switch/Gauge Timer. All you have to do is turn the transfer pump on when your main tank gets to ¼ full, our timer module will take care of the rest.

No worrying about when to turn it off, no annoying buzzers.

A neat round profile including a LED display with push button switch for transferring fuel. The switch/gauge has an automatic dimming function for easy on the eye night driving. With its small footprint (20mm hole x 65mm depth) this unit will fit neatly into just about any modern vehicle.

Another unique feature incorporated in most of our Auxiliary tanks is the timer function to turn the transfer pump off automatically. We have incorporated two timers to turn the pump off, these are activated when the auxiliary tank is getting low or when the main tank is almost full. The timer modules are set at our factory to suit each tank and shipped ready to use as the settings vary depending on the size of the Auxiliary and Main tanks.

@jmlockwood - would you be willing to share the settings used for the Switchpros to have it drive your LRA pump? I have a small LRA tank coming in August, and wouldn't mind running it through the Switchpros.

Any of the switches can be set to On/Off (versus momentary) so you don't have to hold the button down while it transfers, but I thought the LRA switch had an auto pump turnoff timer that lets it run for 1 minute (?) after the tank is empty and then shuts it off?

From the Long Ranger site:
Switch/Gauge Timer. All you have to do is turn the transfer pump on when your main tank gets to ¼ full, our timer module will take care of the rest.

No worrying about when to turn it off, no annoying buzzers.

A neat round profile including a LED display with push button switch for transferring fuel. The switch/gauge has an automatic dimming function for easy on the eye night driving. With its small footprint (20mm hole x 65mm depth) this unit will fit neatly into just about any modern vehicle.

Another unique feature incorporated in most of our Auxiliary tanks is the timer function to turn the transfer pump off automatically. We have incorporated two timers to turn the pump off, these are activated when the auxiliary tank is getting low or when the main tank is almost full. The timer modules are set at our factory to suit each tank and shipped ready to use as the settings vary depending on the size of the Auxiliary and Main tanks.

@CharlieS in one of my posts above I shared that we ultimately did not wire into the Switch Pro unit after some discussions with the shop and @orangefj45. I think post 149.

Thanks, I missed that one. I'll go back and read it. Thank you.

Just read it. Makes sense.

Would you be willing to share the reason you opted to stick with the LRA switch versus using your switchpro? Was it the auto timing feature?

@CharlieS that is generally it. When the switch stopped working to begin with I wrongly assumed it was just some cheap accessory switch LRA tossed in with the tank. That’s not a knock against LRA but you know what I mean. Turns out there is actually a lot more to the switch than meets the eye and after conferring a bit with Georg I decided the LRA switch was worth keeping.

Picked up the truck from the shop this morning. Waiting on a few details before I get into any tech. But I am really pleased with this fuel pump upgrade. The sound is noticeably different - much quieter than the original pump. It is now just a very low hum. And the transfer speed is pretty quick. Will post up shortly with a few more details on the pump. Just waiting confirmation on a wiring question I had.

66340933-805D-44C6-8995-378EEDD90572.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom