Jeep to Lexus convert. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been here for three weeks and I've yet to see a lifted red GX or the Purple Rubi haha.

Have you gone through all the guild threads?

Welcome to the Club!

In regards to gearing, I am taking that journey now. I will be ordering 4:88 R&P, front and rear ARB lockers Monday October 4th. Nitro Gear has already warned me that the ring and pinion won't be available until the end of December. Here are a couple documents that I made my gearing decision on. 4:56 is a close match to 4:30, which is what a direct swap to correct speed and factory setting should be. I am going with 4:88 as my crawl ratio will be around 44:1. Basicly a stock non Rubicon crawl ratio.

The 4Runner does not have the same transmission or transfer case. Essentially we have a double overdrive so 5th rear is in between and the 4R doesn't have it. Obviously the T case on the TRD 4R is part time and we are full time. Maybe the Limited 4R is full time 4 wheel drive?

My build thread Builds - 2018 Premium 460 build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2018-premium-460-build.1194757/
If you don't mind, how much a regear like that will cost? i am about to pull the trigger on a whole lift, and thinking about 35's.

I have no idea what install cost's these days with all this inflation, but here are your gear options:

Paid $5800 for nitro 4.88 gears with arb front and rear lockers installed… lead time was 6 months on the gears.

I know it's digressing a bit, but that's one thing I just don't understand about most auto manufacturers. They ALL have about three shades of black, 4 shades of gray and a couple shades of white for their entire lineup of vehicles. Oh, and maybe some goofy shade of red.
I was excited to see Toyota do the desert tan and green for their trucks! How about more orange and yellows or REAL fire engine RED!
I hate this monochromatic color schemes most are using.
I agree, and the color spectrum for the GX is just as bad if not worse. I was delighted to find a GX in Nightfall Mica (dark blue). I wanted either that or the dark claret red.

Well, this was a huge mistake. New Fiat Jeeps are garbage. The Jeep (and unfortunately) the GX are gone), but we have learned our lesson. I am now driving a 2023 Tacoma, and the wife just picked up a 2023 4Runner. We will never buy anything except Toyota or Lexus ever again.

My in-laws have a Chrysler van with the same 3.6 Pentastar. It's a piece of junk and is constantly in the shop. Bad lifters, burnt valves, AC problems, etc. Plus the leather was cracked within a few years of new. I will never buy a Chrysler/Stellantis product.

Well, this was a huge mistake. New Fiat Jeeps are garbage. The Jeep (and unfortunately) the GX are gone), but we have learned our lesson. I am now driving a 2023 Tacoma, and the wife just picked up a 2023 4Runner. We will never buy anything except Toyota or Lexus ever again.
Haha Jeeps aren't reliable? What?

What happened to the GX?

My in-laws have a Chrysler van with the same 3.6 Pentastar. It's a piece of junk and is constantly in the shop. Bad lifters, burnt valves, AC problems, etc. Plus the leather was cracked within a few years of new. I will never buy a Chrysler/Stellantis product.
To be fair you have to buy the RIGHT product from their line and the Wrangler and the smaller Fiat Jeeps absolutely stay away from. Keep up on maintenance and the Grand Cherokee, Charger or their 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and the Sprinter are good buys with anything but the 3.6.

To be fair you have to buy the RIGHT product from their line and the Wrangler and the smaller Fiat Jeeps absolutely stay away from. Keep up on maintenance and the Grand Cherokee, Charger or their 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and the Sprinter are good buys with anything but the 3.6.
My FIL has a 1999 Ram 2500 Cummins that I really like (it's totally un-molested and stock too, which is incredibly rare!). I've driven lots of Ram trucks as rentals and really like the 2019+ versions - they drive great and have a town of power with the 5.7 Hemi. The 2009-2018 versions drove really well too, other than the kind of crummy interior. However, I'll never really trust any Chrysler product long-term when it comes to electronics - my BIL also had a Pentastar van where the ECU totally crapped out at <5 years of age.

Chrysler/Stellantis certainly make exciting and cool/powerful vehicles; my experience with them myself and others that have had them has just not been that good. At least their parts are cheap :)

& what happened with the Jeep @Meat Head ?

The 2.0L Turbo likes to puke it’s coolant and fry the engine, it was a ticking time bomb. Had to take it in for a coolant related TSB just before we went to Moab this fall, loud dash rattles, on the way home from Moab, inexplicable power loss, flashing dash lights for the lockers.

really like the 2019+ versions

Exactly. Decided the 2019 RAM 2500 Laramie with the 6.4 gas was what we wanted. Absolutely not disappointed.

BC785584-1A54-40DD-934E-FC4B4A2B581E.jpeg

I traded it because I wanted a car. Ended up with a ES 350, then traded it for the Tacoma. I know, I know.
Ahh, been there. Traded my old TJ Jeep for a car and then the car for a Tacoma within 4 months. I still miss that Jeep. Last of the "real" wranglers.

I heard the Sprinters aren't all that reliable, specifically the diesels.
Otherwise I'd have been tempted to do one of the 4x4 diesels and convert it to an overlander.

I heard the Sprinters aren't all that reliable, specifically the diesels.
Otherwise I'd have been tempted to do one of the 4x4 diesels and convert it to an overlander.
They aren't perfect but they are rugged.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom