JDM Hilux Surf 2L-T - what's the story? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have any info on the JDM 1990 Hilux Surf (2L-T). Looks like it would be a good daily driver. Is it capable offroad? Durable? Reliable? I know nothing about this vehicle or even the CDM 4Runner for that matter, which I take to be the North American gasser equivilent. Stumbled across it in my search for a JDM land cruiser. Curious.

Do a search with 2LT or 2L-T and 2 LT and read all the theads.

gb

You get the old overheating/head cracking issues with the Hilux Surf, but other than that the British and the Australians seem to have fun with them...and they're a dime a dozen at auction.

The 1990 Surfs should have a solid front axle (I think), though they went to IFS before the pickups - not sure when.

These forums have tons of info.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
www.toyotadiesel.com

Cheers,
Robin

If you are willing to live with RHD and a small engine, go for an LJ78.
It will be about as comfortable and roomy as a surf, and a lot superior for any serious offroading :D

Right.

Underpowered and cracked heads. I'll leave it alone.

Thanks for the replys.

Peter

petermac said:
Right.

Underpowered and cracked heads. I'll leave it alone.

Thanks for the replys.

Peter

I don't think they under powered. And the heads don't crack on them all.

Look up the threads about these engines and trucks before you come to a quick decision based on three post.

denis said:
"underpowered" and "small engine" are 2 different things :grinpimp:

point well taken. subjective and highly relative terms.

Last edited:
brownbear said:
I don't think they under powered. And the heads don't crack on them all.

Look up the threads about these engines and trucks before you come to a quick decision based on three post.

already did. thanks for the insight.

"Your account on "Toyota 4WD Surf Owners" has now been activated, you may login"...

seemingly underpowered for potential application. not enough power to tow a 2500lbs boat and comfortably overtake, come what may, on two lane highway. OPINION based primarily on vehicle specs and accounts i've read on aussie hilux forum.

numerous owners in oz reporting and discussing cracked heads. certainly not all of them but enough to make a reasonable person stop and think, thats all. not saying the engine isn't good. as far as i can tell, any engine has its shortcomings. many in oz love them from what i gather, despite the reporting of cracked heads.

thanks again for the replys and links. now i know a thing or two about the hilux surf.

cheers

peter

If I'm not mistaken, the Surfs had 2L-T until 1990, then went to the 2L-TE, and then finally the KZ-TE in 1993. I could be wrong about the dates, bu t at any rate it won't be long until we can get the KZ-TE.

I'm not sure the 3L ever found its way into the Surf, but was definitely in other Hilux models.

Robin

light_duty said:
If I'm not mistaken, the Surfs had 2L-T until 1990, then went to the 2L-TE, and then finally the KZ-TE in 1993. I could be wrong about the dates, bu t at any rate it won't be long until we can get the KZ-TE.

I'm not sure the 3L ever found its way into the Surf, but was definitely in other Hilux models.

Robin

Good ol' Brian 4x4 usually has some answers...

http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxengines.html

The 3L engine, a 2779 cc diesel, was available in Hiluxes from production years 1991 (maybe some early 1990s also) to 1997.

The KZ-TE was available in Hilux production years 1993 onwards.

I also am not sure about the Hilux Surf models...but I would guess that Toyota would offer these engines in both models as options if not strandard equipment.

petermac said:
already did. thanks for the insight.

peter

glad to hear it :flipoff2: ;)

Yes you might be better off waiting. If you can get a 3L that might be the ticket. Although I haven't heard of a 3L-t in any hilux trucks. But I have seen kits to turbo them.

Also the 3L is not known to have the head issues, although I bet some still do.

you have to remeber when you hear things like the heads crack, you arn't just driving down the road normal EGT's and normal coolent temps and boom you have a cracked head, it is usally someone driving the bag off it making some crazy EGT or driving with no coolent.

just my 2 cents

or a guy showing off driving a trail in high range when he should be driving in low thus overworking the engine...
humm, who would be dumb enough to do that?

petermac said:
seemingly underpowered for potential application. not enough power to tow a 2500lbs boat and comfortably overtake, come what may, on two lane highway. OPINION based primarily on vehicle specs and accounts i've read on aussie hilux forum.

cheers

peter

This person doesn't need a diesel powered Toyota...he needs to move on to a real tow rig like a Cummins, lol. Maybe an HDJ81 is better at this, but I don't own one, so I don't know.

ooohohohohoh I KNOW .....I KNOW............................PICK ME ,I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION !!!!!!!

nope, no cracked head but it did get very close to the red line...
once i went into low range then the concern rectified itself...

you can ask anyone that wheels with me, i have not been easy on this rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom