JDM folding mirrors retro fit on a US FZJ80 write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at toyodiy but only saw one kind of mirror available. But I know their site is often not complete.

I guess it would be most helpful if you could contact someone who lived on the mainland Europe and find out if such an option was even available for the LHD 80. "IF" such a part existed I would be happy to see if I could order it for you!

If all else fails and if you still wanted to keep the mirrors, then you'll have to fab something up... :frown:

Good luck!!!

I brought a set of the folding mirrors back from Mot and sold them due to this exact problem. If you look carefully at your US DS and PS mirrors, you will see that they are angled back differently. The US PS has more rack back angle than the US DS mirror. The JDM (RHD) models are exactly the opposite than the US (LHD) models.

We can't let this "minor" stumbling block stop us from achieving the full JDM glory, can we? :hillbilly:

So, there are really three ways to accomplish this, I'm thinking...

1) Modify the mirror frame/mounting, inlcuding possibly making a spacer/gasket.

2) Modify the door part where the mirror frame attaches (similar to #1, I guess)

3) Modify the way/angle the actual mirror is attached to the frame so it would produce close to the ideal angle(s).

At this point, #3 sounds like it might be the only (reasonlable) way, but I have NO IDEA how the mirror is attached to the frame. :doh:

Is it attached by something like double-sided tape or screws???

Sorry if I'm WAY off!

Anything new with this? I am about to embark on tearing apart my mirrors because of the shaky mirror syndrome and just wanted to know if this is viable or not?

Nothing yet as I have been installing my sub tank & a Scion Alpine stereo. I probabally won't get to this untill spring. The shaky mirror is pretty simply provided the hooks the the mirror hangs on in the housing isn't broken. If it is I thing you may have to fab something or buy a whole assembly. You may want to add the heating elements to the back of the glass while you have it out. I just saw a thread on it.

Nothing yet as I have been installing my sub tank & a Scion Alpine stereo. I probabally won't get to this untill spring. The shaky mirror is pretty simply provided the hooks the the mirror hangs on in the housing isn't broken. If it is I thing you may have to fab something or buy a whole assembly. You may want to add the heating elements to the back of the glass while you have it out. I just saw a thread on it.

Yup Im all over that plus the side marker under the mirror. I was gonna try doing LED mirror glass but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet :(

BTW where did your thread about the SIRIUS box for sale go? I wanted it.

Fill in the bottom of the US mount with epoxy, drill out the holes in the right spots and use a nutsert to screw into. Then, you have the US mount with the right angles and the rest is the JDM stuff.

I'll go check @ Toyota Costa Rica.... there are Prados here w/ the folding mirrors, so I'll bet that there are 80s as well. LHD.

I'd love this option for running jungly roads. I often whack small branches with the mirrors.

Anything new with this? I am about to embark on tearing apart my mirrors because of the shaky mirror syndrome and just wanted to know if this is viable or not?

Isn't there a hole underneath the mirror housing, that has a screw you can tighten with a #2 phillips that will stop the shaking? My left mirror did that when I bought my 81.

When I did this on a Nissan 240sx... we used the U.S. "triangle"/base and the japanese mirror shell... I've never had my hands on these, but I would like to.... Did anyone ever get this mod to work?

When I did this on a Nissan 240sx... we used the U.S. "triangle"/base and the japanese mirror shell... I've never had my hands on these, but I would like to.... Did anyone ever get this mod to work?

The mounts are completely different between the LHD non-power folding mirrors and the RHD power folding mirrors. The angles are different as are the attachment points for the motor assembly.

This is still on my to-do list, it's just been side tracked several times.

Hopefully, I'll get these mounts made soon.

Perhaps I missed it but where did you get the mirrors. I have a RHD JDM 80 series with folding mirrors but my right mirror motor has had an aneurysm. It will fold in but not out. Finding a motor for it is near impossible as 80 series LCs here are most GX models.

I'd appreciate any info the damn mirror is the only thing not working and it annoys me to no end.

Perhaps I missed it but where did you get the mirrors. I have a RHD JDM 80 series with folding mirrors but my right mirror motor has had an aneurysm. It will fold in but not out. Finding a motor for it is near impossible as 80 series LCs here are most GX models.

I'd appreciate any info the damn mirror is the only thing not working and it annoys me to no end.

I bought them from a member who was parting out his old JDM 80.

I am not sure where they can be obtained now. Try Dave at Japan4x4. He might be able to get ahold of them.

did you ever figure out the wiring?

I was on the verge of fitting the heated pads but now im holding fire.

I can get a pair JDM folding mirrors and switch, my cruiser being a right hooker I shouldn't have the problems you had with the brackets.

wiring is not one of my strong points.

I know I'm stirring up an old thread, but it's been valuable while I work on some JDM to US spec swaps.

Question - so is the mirror relay located in the left door, or right door for that matter? I'm tracing wires now, and the Blue/Yellow from (RHD) switch through the harness to the left side door connector. Making me think the relay is in the left door...

Thanks,
Nick

SI know I'm stirring up an old thread, but it's been valuable while I work on some JDM to US spec swaps.

Question - so is the mirror relay located in the left door, or right door for that matter? I'm tracing wires now, and the Blue/Yellow from (RHD) switch through the harness to the left side door connector. Making me think the relay is in the left door...

Thanks,
Nick
I'll start a new thread on the wiring for this mod specifically, as I have a 1992 HDJ81 RHD and 1994 FJZ80 LHD that i'm adapting. So I'll be using the stock HDJ81 wiring for the retractable motors, while at the same time using the FJZ80 harnesses - so I'll be adding terminals directly to the plugs and will have a full scope of where the wires go from both ends. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom