JDM 100 series are incoming - 1HD-FTE? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As we all know finding a solid 100 series in the US is getting tricky and expensive... and also expensive to fuel. We are just starting to get the first batch of early 100's into the US from japan etc.

Now the question, beyond the RHD annoyances which are very real, would a diesel 1HD-FTE powered 100 series in 2023 and beyond be the ticket to decent MPG and drivability here in the US?

I personally like diesels but haven't owned one since my old Merc 300TD. A straight 6 is highly appealing as well.

Realistically I would personally do a mild tune tune for additional power.

I've had my 2005 HDJ100 for about 10 months/6,000 miles now. I've owned I think 6 diesels between VW/Merc/Toyota and driven plenty more. The 1HD-FTE might be my favourite engine in any vehicle I've owned. It's hard to describe why, but it just feels so solid. Plenty of power for me, smooth, reasonably quiet. Most of the common issues of the earlier 1HD engines are fixed, so this is about as bullet proof as you're going to get.

I attached a screenshot of my per-tank fuel mileage for every tank I've recorded. That's adjusted using a GPS and with slightly oversized MT tires. I broke 10L/100km once, but I've never done a tank of full highway driving. I think pure highway, it would be around 25 mpg. That is with the newer 5 speed auto and driving like a grandma though.

fuel_mileage.png

I am on the hunt for "the right one" a JDM diesel truck in the next few years. I'd love a 105 , but not holding out much hope for a clean low mile one of those coming out of Japam. it is quite surprising how clean / low mileage/ well preserved some of the JDM cars are

I would be curious what people are paying for these in Japan with that engine and then the cost of shipping it over to the USA. There is one for sale here on MUD, asking 25k. Not sure what kind of deal that is considering the scarcity here in the US with the 25-year rule. Does anybody know if they made this with a manual? That would be my jam right there!

No 1HDTs in 105s. 1HZ and 1FZ only. The turbos are all IFS trucks (100 or 101).

Driving a 1HDFTE in US roads with 35/45MPH zones I believe is okay, low rev, no rush, just cruising. I think 65mph freeways are okay too in cruise/relax mode, no smoke from the exhaust.
It’s when you need to pick up speed fast when merging in freeways I think the 1HDFTE may expel black smoke which I think is just like any diesel engines. Definitely has better MPG than any 2UZ.

Do you have the option/ability to get one from the middle east instead so it is factory LHD? If so, that’s the way to go.

I bought one in Japan with 60k miles for $16.5k graded 4/c by the auction house. After shipping/insurance/fees/taxes it is about ~$21k.

Is there a website you used for this? I’m very interested in this

Is there a website you used for this? I’m very interested in this

I used these guys:

They seem to get good reviews on Reddit and drifting/jdm forums. Alot of the other ones are sketchy advertising vehicles they don't have then looking for something similar at auction. The prices are also significantly higher. B-pro does require a $1k CAD deposit but I've been very happy with my experience. (So far)

Prices are definitely going up. If you have the means probably get a better deal by buying a 1999 and storing it for some months. If you are a registered importer you can make an easy profit importing something a few months/years shy of 25 and sitting on it until it's old enough bypassing the expenses of federalization.

Edit: the easy way to find hdj101 if there isn't a model is to restrict by year ( e.g. 1998-1998) then set max engine volume to 4300 cc.

This guy on Instagram will basically run Japanese Carfax for you if you are buying from one of the other importers(for a small fee):

Last edited:
So, it seems it's possible to obtain a 101 with the 1HDFTE engine and a manual transmission. Intruiging! I wonder if the manual is based on the H55F like in my 70series? I believe Toyota stopped making those in the early 90's. Nevertheless, this could be the next wave once importing shipping costs come down a bit. Either way, that engine is supposed to be fairly tunable due to being electronic. I hope a few more of our Canadian friends can chime in due to their 10 year head start.

I imported a 1998 HDJ101 from Japan to USA and got it back in May this year. I bought it in late December but couldn't legally put it on a boat until April. It's now my daily driver. I also got it with the manual transmission. Very hard to find. To answer the question on which transmision the manual comes with, mine has the H151F. I have been looking to find another but have yet to see another manual come up on the auctions, its all automatics. Although there is a manual 1998 legally able to import right now listed on the fixed price vehicle portion of these exporter websites. I ended up also bringing in a 1998 Hilux Surf (4runner) with the 1KZ -TE also a manual. I bought this one 2 months later but it could be imported in March so I got it a month prior. I sold it within a week of getting title.

I'm a big diesel and manual fan. Have only owned manuals my entire life and bought my first diesel in 2007 and have only bought diesels since. Have owned a 1984 Toyota pickup with the 2L engine (USA market), 1984 Land Cruiser BJ60 with the 3B (Canadian market I imported by driving across the border), VW TDIs like a '97 Passat with the 1z, '03 VW Jetta wagon with the ALH, '14 Jetta sportwagen with the CJAA and even a '98 Ram 2500 12v 5.9 Cummins and a '06 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins (still own this one). I will say that my 1HD-FTE is my favorite. Second choice would be the 12v Cummins followed by the BJ60 with the 3B. That 3B was just so reliable. Started everytime no matter what even when my other diesels struggled to start in the cold.

I have a 1997 Hiace with the 1KZ-TE I bought a month or so ago, just waiting for a space on a ship to come over. I know... I have a problem

Although there is a manual 1998 legally able to import right now listed on the fixed price vehicle portion of these exporter websites.

If you look hard enough you can find it for $10k less before it was painted/wrapped.

I've had my 2005 HDJ100 for about 10 months/6,000 miles now. I've owned I think 6 diesels between VW/Merc/Toyota and driven plenty more. The 1HD-FTE might be my favourite engine in any vehicle I've owned. It's hard to describe why, but it just feels so solid. Plenty of power for me, smooth, reasonably quiet. Most of the common issues of the earlier 1HD engines are fixed, so this is about as bullet proof as you're going to get.

I attached a screenshot of my per-tank fuel mileage for every tank I've recorded. That's adjusted using a GPS and with slightly oversized MT tires. I broke 10L/100km once, but I've never done a tank of full highway driving. I think pure highway, it would be around 25 mpg. That is with the newer 5 speed auto and driving like a grandma though.

View attachment 3415243
What is it like on the highway at higher speeds, like 70+? I'm a big fan of vehicles that don't need to downshift going up hills in top gear.

Going up hills the 1hd-fte pulls like a champ. The issue I have found are the EGTs. I live in CO so we have steep hills and high altitude so engines tend to run hotter. One of the first items I installed was an EGT gauge just so I could keep an eye on this. I have found this engine tends to run hotter and I have to downshift to 4th sometimes, especially when pulling a trailer in the mountains. I could stay in 5th and be fine and without the EGT gauge I wouldn't even know the temps were spiking but I could be doing damage to the engine so instead I just slow down a bit and downshift. Keep in mind here we have extreme uphills and this tends to only happen at higher altitudes but in general this engine does seem to run hotter then other diesels I have owned.

Also to second the MPG. I got 21 MPG avg when I drove this vehicle back from CA after picking it up from the port so all highway driving. Mixed I am getting 18-19 MPG.

If you look hard enough you can find it for $10k less before it was painted/wrapped.
This is so true. I just saw yesterday a Hilux Surf with a manual that sold back in July (same VIN) repainted get reposted and sold for 1/3 more then it went for a month ago. Original posting had fading paint and spots with clear coat gone etc. Now it's all shiny and new looking. It's weird how these 25+ year old vehicles have perfect paint jobs. Your basically buying one of them off pictures alone so some people resort to these tactics.

I would be curious what people are paying for these in Japan with that engine and then the cost of shipping it over to the USA. There is one for sale here on MUD, asking 25k. Not sure what kind of deal that is considering the scarcity here in the US with the 25-year rule. Does anybody know if they made this with a manual? That would be my jam right there!
The exchange rate is excellent these days so my 1998 JDM LC 100 VX 1HD-FTE diesel was about $21k purchase price. Then there's shipping and various import fees and hassles, of course.

We are on about our 12th 1HDFTE swap and build. The FTE is the last of the in-line six diesels, 50yrs or so of engineering has gone into them.

Last one we ran up on the dyno was 315hp and 550ftlbs of torque, to the wheels. Not bad! 😁

93A58DBA-EAA5-44C0-A273-41D1FEFB822E.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom