Japan OEM parts question for mot, japan4x4, cdan ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was visiting a guy (member Clarkie) today with an ex-Japanese VX. He told me his lift is all OEM (he bought it like that), can't remember but I think it's a 3". His shocks are electronically controlled in the dash with a rocker switch with "normal" and "sports" settings or something. It's not wired up properly and therefore doesn't work to actually change the damping, but he showed me the harness leading to the top of the front shock towers. The switch definitely looks like a factory switch.

Anyway, here in Oz we've only got one OEM spring height (maybe slightly different for pre Oct '92 and post Oct '92). Definitely no factory lifts. I was wondering if any of you guys might know what parts I'm talking about, both the springs and shocks, and even the switch for changing the damping. I wonder if non-Japanese cruisers have the harness ready to plug the switch in - hmm, didn't look near the shock towers on mine, but I've definitely got no space in the dash for where his switch was.

He's also got retracting mirrors, where the whole housing folds against the body. That's not an option in Oz either AFAIK. How about the US models?

No retracting mirrors in US spec AFAIK. I think the adjustable suspension was on all JDM HDJ81 with the switch but only on the stock shocks, which is why lifted on lifted trucks with aftermarket shocks - it doesn't work. Mine has the switch and wiring which is not connected so I thought I'd adapt it for inside winch in and out. The retracting mirrors are something I use several times a day when parking and occasionally to reduce aerodynamic drag when I am pushing the envelope on those top speed runs!

I got the impression he had OEM shocks and OEM lifted springs, but maybe I misunderstood. I'll ask him again in a few weeks or maybe he'll see this thread. But that was the point of my question, I thought there was such a thing as an OEM lift and also OEM longer adjustable shocks.

The mirrors are cool, I kinda wish I had them now. I guess you'd need the mirrors themselves and the switch to retract them too, hopefully they'd plug straight in to the same harness as the non-retractable. I can see how they'd be useful in tight spots for sure.

Could it be "OME" shocks and springs???

The "Normal" an "Sport", AFAIK, does not do anything to the ride height, but just the stiffness of the ride.

Mine never worked since I got it (used) and therefore have no first-hand experience. I woulnd't really care for it anyway!

I love the mirrors and I use them several times every day!
You "might" also need to get the mirror control/relay which might be located in one of the front doors, as well as possibly modifying the harness/wires.

I've got a spair pair, but not sure if they retract or not (STD on the VX and VX Limited, I think, and not on the poverty/GX model).

HTH's!!

Yeah, the normal/sport shock switch in my JDM just (slightly) firmed up the damping, but the shocks were completely shot so I just replaced them with non-adjustable as many do...

I've got 'em. :meh:

Some kid broke the passenger side, though, so it's screwed in place. :mad:

You've got power retracting mirrors, where you push a button and the mirror body retracts? I had 'em on the 100 series, but they did not come on US model 80 series.

Oh. Nope. Must have missed that part.

Hi,
Is there a downloadable FSM for this LC80 model showing the wiring diagram of the adjustable shock absorber system? does it have a separate ECU that controls the valving of the shocks?

Thanks!

i have a 91 fj80 righthand from japan. i have the the retracting mirrors, cool feature. i also had the factory adjustable shocks. my shocks were shot so i replaced them with non-adjustable aftermarket ones . dont think that mine had any lift with the factory ones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom