Cost to buy all new non-discontinued oem parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even if you could buy a complete set of parts to rebuild an 80 from scratch, you could *never* buy the parts at the same pricing that Toyota would if still making 80's today. Remember Toyota's manufacturing systems are very tightly controlled and when you're buying 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000, or 10000000 of a single part over the course of a multi-year manufacturing run (including inventorising a certain amount of spare parts stock for future-proofing) the cost of an individual item is very small.

Even complex assemblies like motors are very expensive to buy as a one-off new part, but how many 1hz diesel engines has Toyota produced during production of 75's, 80's, 78/79's, coaster buses, and other vehicles that 1hz's were put into? Whereas a crate 1hz might cost $20k to buy now from an OEM parts supplier like Amayama, or even direct through a Toyota dealership, if you're making (or getting made) millions over a production window of 30 years, the per-unit cost is a lot lower.

On a related note, an 80 series if still made today would be considered a luxury vehicle here in Australia and attract 'luxury car tax' so keep that in the back of your mind when thinking about supplies of OEM parts. Current LCT threshold here is A$76,950.

I have owned my 1996 80 Series since 1998. It is without a doubt, the highest quality design and build ever made. I would recommend an 80 series Land Cruiser to pretty much anyone for almost any usage.

The first owner drove it to/from his office for the first 30K miles. It now has 300K+ miles and I tell my friends I will drive it until I die. It is the only vehicle I have ever owned this long. I have driven all over the USA, for vacation road trips and work, and was my daily drive vehicle for every job I ever had, which was about half 9 to 5 office commute, and other years I was a mobile IT professional and traveled from state to state.

I've never done rock climbing or serious off-roading, but have camped and driven on unimproved roads and fields and open areas numerous times.

The cruiser has never left me stranded on the road ever. I have zero mechanical abilities, sadly, so everything I've needed was done at a local garage. The main issues have almost always been related to the wheels: brake pads, rotors, calipers, tires. I have replaced the battery about 4 times (the original Panasonic was incredible but not available apparently) and the alternator recently, and the leather seats in the front L/R a few years ago, floppy side-mirror, and 2 window motors.

The most pleasing repair I had to make was replacing the rear-main seal so I never left stains all over the place.

My biggest regrets are replacing the original sounds system (it was actually amazing), not keeping the 80 in a covered garage and not taking better care of the interior. I still details up nice and the looks new on the outside when waxed, but the interior wear shows and I was quoted $900 to replace the carpeting and pad. Steering cover is very worn, burl wood decals peeled off, car-phone mount left a mark, headliner has marred areas, antenna stopped working, electric seats get wonky.

Apparently, reading all the counter-recommendations, I must have had unusually good mechanical reliability or luck. But I still feel confident driving this machine anywhere, any time. I would recommend finding a good used one and fixing the basics. Tons of parts are available still.

Good luck!

I have been driving 80 series as daily drivers since we bought our 1997 In 2000, have had 5, the build quality on an 80 is better than most cars today, now they are getting old and age effects us all, that said there is nothing else I have found that does what our 80’s have, daily driver to rubicon springs, it can do it 1200lbs of pavers in the back done that tow trailers and haul kids.. my advice is buy they nicest one you can afford and budget for preventative maintenance, the 5k figure when you buy it, if you do your own work is spot on, I budget 1k a year in maintenance doing my own work on top of that, good Luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom