Jalopy's Redemption: The slow moving revival of a slow moving BJ44 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RedHeadedStepChild

Proudly wearing my MC1R mutation!
Threads
Last week was a bit slow at work, so I took some time to read the entire saga of Shasta. Upon doing so, I thought it might be a good idea to create some sort of record of my time with my BJ44, "The Jalopy".

Now, before we go any further, I will point out that The Jalopy is NOT the name I'd have given, but my wife (in a jealous fit I presume) threw the name out there and it has stuck like Uhwarrie red clay with my kids and seemingly everyone else. So be it. Jalopy it is.

This will not be an epic build thread where I bang out some concourse level restoration, or turn it into some fire breathing rock crawler over the span of 2 months. This will be sipping bourbon. Take it slow. Enjoy it (not too much at one time). A nice measured pace like an slightly under-powered diesel in a heavy 4 wheel drive maybe...

This is where it all started for me. This is the original sale post by Cruiser Parts, and this is how it looked sitting in the Hills of NH.
upload_2015-6-1_13-44-53.png

I first saw it in person in the cold gray drizzle of late Fall in New England. It was filled with leaves and the engine bay was awfully messy, but with some heavy glowing and cough of smoke it came to life, and I wanted it. At this point I should say, if it had been a regular 40, I'd have moved on, but this was a BJ 4-freakin'-4, I'd never even seen one and so down the rabbit hole I went.

James had a beat up old aftermarket fiberglass top (probably for a 43) that fit it, I said toss it on there, and we made arrangements for me to pick it up a few weeks later.

On an even more miserable New England Day, a friend gave me a ride over the the spine Green Mountains in his Saab. Through the snow and sleet and freezing rain we rallied. We made it through the several hour trip alive. I handed the man a check and we were off. Immediately the "adventure" started. Through some misunderstanding or another, a few things that I thought would be functional were not. Two of these items included heat (and the associated defrost function) and wipers. Now, if you've never spent time living with the ice and snow and freezing rain, allow me the opportunity to impress upon you how key these features are during these particular meteorological conditions. This might have been a good time to turn around but this was a BJ 4-freakin'-4, I'd never even seen one and so down the rabbit hole I went.

As soon as possible, we stopped to gas up (and buy a scraper for the windshield) and then we were off. WHAT A DOG. I expected slow, but this was SLOW. On hills of any real significance, I had to pull 2nd gear just to get up. I could hear a funny sound under the hood, but being unfamiliar with the vehicle, I didn't know what was normal. When I finally got it to my house and got out I could tell the sound was bubbling. Popping the hood, I saw coolant - or muddy brown water to be more precise - spitting out the vent tube of the piss tank. I probably should have turned it right back around but, well, this was a BJ 4-freakin'-4, I'd never even seen one and so down the rabbit hole I went.

It was a while before I got there, but ultimately the bubbling lead to THIS.
For those not interested in jumping to a new thread, here's the main point:
upload_2015-6-1_14-11-40.png

More tomorrow...

Last edited:
subscribed. being a relative of Shasta, I love a good saga.

Ooh, cracked head. Rabbit hole fur sure man. Look forward to your progress.

My rig got its name in much the same way and it just won't go away. Enjoy.

Before I dug too deep, I’d hoped it would be something small.

Shortly after getting it home, winter settled in. In Vermont it’s a bit like being North of The Wall. We just hunkered down and hoped the White Walkers would spare us. But seriously, with all the salt up there, I really didn’t want to take it out much. Either way I was working crazy hours 7 days then, so I couldn’t get a lot done. Instead I pecked away at a few things.

014.JPG

If you look closely at the side of my squirrel cage, you can see my (decidedly amateur) fiberglass work. The Jalopy has a checkered past, and like some girlfriends, there are clues, you’re curious, but you probably don’t really want to know…

Anyway, there was huge hole blown out the side, and the wiring was torn up. I spent some time patching things up and rebuilding the heater box inside. Not knowing the condition of the head yet (and lacking the time to really dig in further), I suppose turd polishing like this at least let me feel close to the truck. I also spend a fair amount of time trying to get my damn wipers working. Eventually I just threw in the towel a cheated with a little “custom” ground strap.

509.JPG

It’s disconnected in this picture, but just fix it under the lower screw of the motor housing and it does the trick.

Eventually spring does come, even in Vermont, so I could do a bit more. When running, things never seemed too hot and this gave me (false) hope that the issue was small. So I flushed and I flushed and I flushed the cooling system. There had only been water in it when I got it and it was UGLY. Chunky, brown, full of flakes and crystals and sludge. When I opened the drain at the bottom of the radiator, nothing came out. I had to run a long screw driver up in there to break up the packed in sludge before anything would flow out. After multiple flushes and some fresh green, I put on a new radiator cap, loaded up the twins, hoped for the best and took a test drive on an ancient road behind my house.

058.JPG
061.JPG

I suppose to those who’ve read the first post and/or followed the link above, the outcome of my efforts is obvious. Still bubbling…

On a trip down this “road” I also learned that my master cylinder was shot when my foot dropped to the floor. A (panicky) down shift and some heavy pumping with the right foot got things settled, but there weren’t a lot of Jalopy rides after that. It was about this time that my wife bestowed upon it the name that has so firmly stuck.

At this point my employer, a large company that makes things generally electric, decided that (despite a housing crash) it was time for me to try and sell my house in Central VT and move to North Carolina. After a ridiculously drawn out relocation process and a serious wallet shellacking, the family finally pulled up stakes and settled in Wilmington.

My poor old friend sat neglected…

For several months The Jalopy took up residence in a friends driveway (at the time of vehicle move, I didn’t have a place yet and the relo company wouldn’t store it) until his wife asked when the hell Jim was going to get his ugly-assed school bus out of her driveway. It couldn't be driven, so I hired a wrecker to bring it on home, parked it in the garage and spent year or so avoiding eye contact with it.

Eventually Christmas was coming. My family would all be slogging out of their soggy salty seats in the North, and coming down for some Yule Tide sunshine. I couldn’t bear to hear all the comments about that wreck in the garage, so I decided to move on finally getting the head gasket issue sorted out. No problem, I’ll bang that out pretty quickly…

Last edited:
:D
That picture was actually taken the day the flat bed came to move it out of my friends driveway. When the truck showed up, I tried to shoo him off, but that little fella got up inside under the hood and hunkered down. When he popped back out, the poor guy was about 20 miles from home. Had his little pointed gecko head poking out the DS louver
I didn't give him a ride back

This post is a little detour from the direction we were heading, but I thought it was cool so, here we go.

As you can see, despite only having 153,000 km on the clock :lol:. The key is a bit, uh...worn.
IMG_2284.jpg

When driving down the road, it will eventually rattle its way out of the ignition switch and fall somewhere down by the pedals. Because of this, I always start it up then pull the key and toss it in on the center console. My key ring, up until now has been a green para cord rattlesnake knot, that quickly vanishes into whatever background it is against.

Now I have this:
IMG_2285.jpg

Brought to you by the WORLD'S 2nd GREATEST AIRFRAMER
IMG_2286.jpg

As we go along here, there may be some times when a few of you want to ask, “Why the hell did you do things THAT way when you could have…?” To preempt such questions and lay out the ultimate plan, I’ll need to explain why I have this vehicle in the first place.

I grew up on an island (right there)
upload_2015-6-5_15-3-59.png

and when I was very young, probably about 3-1/2, my father came home with a mustard yellow mid-70s FJ40 for cruising around the Vineyard and heading to Wasque for fishing. One of my earliest and clearest memories is struggling to climb up in the back, sitting on the floor, and then the jump seats, looking into the front and up at the ceiling, and just thinking it was the BEST vehicle ever (35 or so years later my opinion hasn’t really change).

We were rather poor at the time, although my dad always worked on his own stuff, my mother felt we couldn’t afford to keep gas in the thing and it was sold a while later.

A short while after that, at the age of 38 my father died of a heart attack. I was 4 years old.

My mother remarried a sad wreck of a man with a greater love for booze and cocaine than family, and absolutely no interest in fixing anything. For the rest of my youth, it would bother me that I didn’t know how to work on anything, and that there was no one to really ask let alone show me. I’ve spent a lot of time figuring things out starting with chainsaws and lawn mowers, going on to get trained at The Motorcycle Mechanic Institute in Phoenix, and (eventually) going on to college to become a mechanical engineer. The whole time, I always thought how much easier things could have been if the old man had been around. And I never forgot that Land Cruiser.

(This would be a great place for a grainy old photo with smiley people and a bad ass rig, but sadly I don’t know of any pictures taken of it. Even if there had been, they’d have been destroyed in a fire 15 years ago.)

After my wife gave birth to my sons, I told myself, these kids will know how to do all the things I was never taught to do. They’ll get to swing a hammer, run a drill, spin a wrench and even weld a bit. I had a pretty good idea of the medium I was going to use for their instruction. My wife wasn’t thrilled with the idea of dropping cash on a 30+ year old vehicle with a checkered past, but when I explained my reasoning, she sighed and then grumbled, “Well, how the hell am I supposed to say no now?”

Right now, the boys are a bit young to truly help me out, but they come out whenever I’m working on it and we have lessons that last as long as their (barely) 7 year old attention spans will allow. Currently my objective is to keep it running and safe, and prevent further deterioration. In a few years, we’ll take it down to the frame and go from there. In the meantime, if you feel I took a short cut, well, I probably did because I want them to have fun on the road and on the trails so they learn to love this vehicle. Whatever requires deeper attention will get it in good time, when we can tackle it as a team.

In this picture Aaron (left) and Seamus (pronounced SHAY-mus) are the age I was when my old man died. So far, they're big fans of The Jalopy.
638.JPG

Great game plan with the kids. I can tell you first hand that these memories will stick with them. My father was a gear head and all his buddies were into hot rods and drag racing. He was good friends with the owner of Holbert racing in my home town. Look up Al Holbert and the Lowenbrau Special. So I spent my youth tagging around with my dad to every mechanic shop, body shop, muffler shop, hot rod shop, junk yard and every private garage where there was s hot rod or race car in the county. Thus my love of all things mechanical. They will love you for it :)

Mine was a Hillman Minx it was 1969 and I was 9. Drove it all over the 12 acre field behind our house.

Wow, that's some Bad-ass stuff you got to see up close early on.

I will not rehash the details of the head work here, you can see that on the thread linked above if you choose, but I will tell the tale of how we arrived at the 3nd shop rule for the kids.

The first two are:

1) Don’t walk off with my tools

2) Don’t whack anything with a hammer unless I say- This one I repeat a lot.

At heart, I am a bit of a bull-and-jammer. IF the right equipment is around, I will always take the time to use it properly, however, lacking said equipment, I will occasionally get….impatient. Now, the cylinder head on this truck isn’t massive, but it is a pretty good chunk of iron. I SHOULD have gotten a hoist or at the very least, a 2nd pair of hands, but I was on a roll. This is how I came to find myself with one foot on either inner fender with a thick rope coiled around my right hand and a heavy lump of iron suspended between my legs, but hung up on the fuel cut off cable (details on that later).

Upon lifting, the head had turned a bit and was well out of position. At this time, I didn’t know what the underside looked like and still thought I didn’t want to screw it up so I didn’t just want to drop it down any ol’ place. I’m up there, a little of balance, and trying not to drop this thing and not quite sure how to forward or back.

“Aaron!” I call out.

“Yeah, Dad?”

“Move that cable for me?”

“What?”

“Move that cable.”

“What?”

“The cable. Right there, get it out of the way.”

“What cable?”

“The one right in front of you.”

“Which one?”

“The one with the metal spiral sheath. Dude, there’s only one. Get it out of the way.”

“ok”

“Aaron, please, hurry the f**k up this thing is really heavy.”

“Why do you need me to move it Dad?”

“JUST MOVE THE GAWDAMNED CABLE!”

Rule Number 3) When Dad says to do something, do it NOW. All questions and explanations can happen after.

I’ve finally pulled pics of the phone and onto the computer so more to come…

After you work alone for a while you will plan this sort of thing out well in advance. You'll also learn to improvise tools you do not have. Do it long enough and you will have the tools you need for most anything. But you can never have enough tools :)

Cheers to you, Dan.
I see you're a Kiwi. After it's start in life in Japan, this truck was exported to NZ, and spent the majority of its life there before landing with me.
I don't know if you've encountered @lostmarbles on the forum yet, but he's an invaluable wellspring of knowledge on these old diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom