Wanted J75 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as new to the idea of importing or buying a car that isnt sold in the US, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for something reliable to travel and live in while i travel. I have friends from all over the world that i know from playing online games over the past 15 years or so, and the goal is to visit as many as i can while driving across the world. I just also want to get out there myself and explore, and im going to need something that will not only get me across the world, but also get me back home safely.

After doing some research, i think ive settled on a HZJ75 Troopy. My reasoning is this:

- naturally aspirated engine will last longer and less maintenance (no turbo to replace)
- HZ 70 series because the engines, and cars, are still being produced today. This makes it easy on finding replacement parts if needed, or even a new engine
- long wheel base and 2 door for extra cargo space (im looking for a pop top as well)

With that said, if anyone knows where i might be able to find one for a reasonable price, then please let me know. I can wait as long as needed for the right one.

I will also gladly accept advice in general if anyone has any suggestions on how to look or what to look for, or even offer alternatives if they think the hzj75 isnt the best candidate. Im all ears!

Edit: I realized after i made post that the 77s only come in 4 doors so i edited post to look for J75.

Last edited:
Here's one. No affiliation with the seller, but it's LHD, has the 1HZ, and doesn't look too beat up. Like @joekatana and others have said, there aren't many of the 1HZ Troopies in Europe that are importable, and it looks like there'll be less, not more, moving forward.

Easy to get it here if you're willing and able to write the checks. There's guys on this forum who can do it for you, or PM me and I'll put you in touch with my contact in Europe who can inspect it, buy it for you, and get it on the ship.

Here's one. No affiliation with the seller, but it's LHD, has the 1HZ, and doesn't look too beat up. Like @joekatana and others have said, there aren't many of the 1HZ Troopies in Europe that are importable, and it looks like there'll be less, not more, moving forward.

Easy to get it here if you're willing and able to write the checks. There's guys on this forum who can do it for you, or PM me and I'll put you in touch with my contact in Europe who can inspect it, buy it for you, and get it on the ship.

Saw that one come for sale yesterday , about 19k USD seems like a good price to me even with 375k on it if they maintaned it correct.

Saw that one come for sale yesterday , about 19k USD seems like a good price to me even with 375k on it if they maintaned it correct.

I have been looking at some overseas and did not realize until recently that we have a 25% duty tax on light trucks, which in addition to the cost of shipping makes a lot of these less appealing. Thats a pretty ridiculous tax.

25% is only for vehicles "primarily designed to carry cargo", e.g. pickups and cargo vans.
Troop Carriers, as the name implies, are "primarily designed" to carry people, so you only pay 2.5% duty tax.
Never heard of a Troopy import being charged 25%.

25% is only for vehicles "primarily designed to carry cargo", e.g. pickups and cargo vans.
Troop Carriers, as the name implies, are "primarily designed" to carry people, so you only pay 2.5% duty tax.
Never heard of a Troopy import being charged 25%.

Thank you so much for clarifying that! I was really bummed out thinking it would be 25% since ive seen some in australia that i really like.

What's your price range? I'd budget at least $15,000 for a decent truck and $5000 for shipping, import, port fees, licensing, etc. A really decent Troop carrier or HZJ77 will go for about $20-30K once they are here. Even more for LHD.

You can save a few thousand doing it yourself, but sometimes it's worth it to pay a premium for one that is already here and legal. Not to mention all the phone calls and emails. Being out $15-20K for 3-4months while you wait for a truck to show up is rough, especially when you haven't even driven it.

Here's another one:

You'll need to wait a little less than 2 years to bring it into the US legally, but it's LHD and already has a pop-top. Storage is cheap near the port in Europe. Buy it now, hold it in storage until you can import it. Or go to Europe and drive it for the next two years, then bring it in.

Here's another one:

You'll need to wait a little less than 2 years to bring it into the US legally, but it's LHD and already has a pop-top. Storage is cheap near the port in Europe. Buy it now, hold it in storage until you can import it. Or go to Europe and drive it for the next two years, then bring it in.

Looks like that one already sold , I did not see it listed before damn

Its a 1996 anyways.

Doesn't matter to me , I park them in Europe with the others waiting until it's 25 years old . In a few years from now there will be none left in Europe at this rate!

See here:

Another LHD 1994 1HZ locked Troopy.

See here:

Another LHD 1994 1HZ locked Troopy.

Not bad but i am holding out for something better. I really appreciate you taking the time to share these. I am saving up more money so i can get something i will be happy with.

My biggest dilemma now is whether or not to focus on finding a cheap one with a good body and restore it with a new engine and tranny, or whether i should just keep looking for a low miles one that has been babied. I have plenty of time and im willing to wait as long as needed for my dream truck.

Doesn't matter to me , I park them in Europe with the others waiting until it's 25 years old . In a few years from now there will be none left in Europe at this rate!

Agreed. I just was hoping for a 95 at most so i dont have to wait 2 years to leave for my trip! Thank you so much for sharing i really do appreciate it.

subscribing to this thread, as i'm also on the troopy hunt ;). And my brother lives in Austria, so could store a potential '96 for a bit.
@gilmorneau @joekatana - thanks for posting these finds!
We can help each other look then! Ive found a couple facebook pages, biggest one is "toa official troopys & spare parts for sale" and there are troopies listed for sale every day! Also use gumtree and carsales.co.au and ebay. There is also the site that gil and joe is linking from but that is not in english. Best of luck to you brother and let me know if i can be of assistance.

Also wanted to get advice on something. I had briefly considered US land cruisers for a bit since its much easier to find a good deal, and i stumbled into this lx570.

I get my license back in 2 months and will need a daily driver to hold me off til i find the dream troopy, what do you guys think of this? Seems like a good deal to me.

I guess my next question is would you trust this as an overland vehicle that wont leave me stranded in africa or leave me having to wait a month for parts? Seems to me that even though this is supposed to be a 200 series cruiser in a luxury body, that when compared to the 70s series, it isnt nearly as reliable for something like 50-100k miles of travel around the world. But, is it reliable enough?

So i want to know if it is a good deal for a daily driver to be used here in the US, and from there want to know if its worth it to consider converting it into an overland vehicle or just keep it as a DD and trade it in when i finally find the right troopy.

Thanks in advance you guys are just a great help!

Last edited:
My biggest dilemma now is whether or not to focus on finding a cheap one with a good body and restore it with a new engine and tranny, or whether i should just keep looking for a low miles one that has been babied. I have plenty of time and im willing to wait as long as needed for my dream truck.

"A cheap Troopy with a good body". :rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one!! Seriously, the body's usually the first thing to go. Very little rust prevention science employed 25-30 years ago. You're far more likely to find a "cheap" one with a good motor and transmission, but needing body work.

You probably already know this, but your "dream truck" (a low miles one that has been babied) is the same as a lot of other guys' "dream truck". It's entirely possible that such a truck doesn't even exist equipped just as you'd like it, and of appropriate manufacture date, but if it does, you'd better have plenty o' cash handy and be ready to move fast. Just sayin'.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. I should emphasize that it IS possible. I found my 1987 Troopy with only 40k miles on it from new, and always garage kept by the original owner. But it's not equipped exactly as I'd like. So clean and drives so nice, I don't really care.

"A cheap Troopy with a good body". :rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one!! Seriously, the body's usually the first thing to go. Very little rust prevention science employed 25-30 years ago. You're far more likely to find a "cheap" one with a good motor and transmission, but needing body work.

You probably already know this, but your "dream truck" (a low miles one that has been babied) is the same as a lot of other guys' "dream truck". It's entirely possible that such a truck doesn't even exist equipped just as you'd like it, and of appropriate manufacture date, but if it does, you'd better have plenty o' cash handy and be ready to move fast. Just sayin'.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. I should emphasize that it IS possible. I found my 1987 Troopy with only 40k miles on it from new, and always garage kept by the original owner. But it's not equipped exactly as I'd like. So clean and drives so nice, I don't really care.

That sounds like a dream to me. Nice find on the 87! And i am aware of how difficult this search will be and thats why its called a dream truck and thats why i set aside a year to look. Nothing worthy ever comes easy brother. That and i honestly think the search is a part of the adventure. It may take a ton of effort and a lot of my time and money, but ill be a damn happy man when its all said and done.

So i doubt i will go the US cruiser route for anything other than a daily driver, which leads me right back to the troopies. I also thought more about the finding a good body part, and youre right. Going to focus my efforts on a low km one with a good owner instead.

If the search proves too difficult because im looking in the US, meaning if i dont find one within next 5-6 months and begin the import process by then, then my backup plan was to fly to australia and stay there for a few weeks to look there. If i find a nice one from 1995 and older, then i send it back to the US. If not then i do have some questions.

Is it possible to never register a car at all if you buy it for the sole purpose of only driving through each country and only staying there for a month or so? Meaning for the sole purpose of driving it around the world. Can i buy, say, a new troopy and ship it to Canada then begin my trip there? I would just be driving it through the US and Canada to get to South America, so will the title and the fact that it was recently purchased with no intentions of staying in one country, be enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom