Wanted J75 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as new to the idea of importing or buying a car that isnt sold in the US, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for something reliable to travel and live in while i travel. I have friends from all over the world that i know from playing online games over the past 15 years or so, and the goal is to visit as many as i can while driving across the world. I just also want to get out there myself and explore, and im going to need something that will not only get me across the world, but also get me back home safely.

After doing some research, i think ive settled on a HZJ75 Troopy. My reasoning is this:

- naturally aspirated engine will last longer and less maintenance (no turbo to replace)
- HZ 70 series because the engines, and cars, are still being produced today. This makes it easy on finding replacement parts if needed, or even a new engine
- long wheel base and 2 door for extra cargo space (im looking for a pop top as well)

With that said, if anyone knows where i might be able to find one for a reasonable price, then please let me know. I can wait as long as needed for the right one.

I will also gladly accept advice in general if anyone has any suggestions on how to look or what to look for, or even offer alternatives if they think the hzj75 isnt the best candidate. Im all ears!

Edit: I realized after i made post that the 77s only come in 4 doors so i edited post to look for J75.

Last edited:
Is it possible to never register a car at all if you buy it for the sole purpose of only driving through each country and only staying there for a month or so? Meaning for the sole purpose of driving it around the world. Can i buy, say, a new troopy and ship it to Canada then begin my trip there? I would just be driving it through the US and Canada to get to South America, so will the title and the fact that it was recently purchased with no intentions of staying in one country, be enough?

Yes and no, you could do that but you will still need to have the truck permanently registered somewhere. I not sure how difficult/expensive it would be registering a vehicle in another country if you are not living there.... And of course, this would be different for each country. I believe people from Europe usually buy and register the vehicle in their place of residence and then travel all over the world with those plates..

Other than that you would need to have an international road insurance (or a local one in each country) and do a temporal importation for the vehicle (or transit/passing thru permits) at each country.

So if you have friends in Europe/Middle East/Africa/Japan/Australia/South America they could help you to find out if is possible for you as a foreigner to purchase the vehicle and have it registered under your name and start your journey from there...

Yes and no, you could do that but you will still need to have the truck permanently registered somewhere. I not sure how difficult/expensive it would be registering a vehicle in another country if you are not living there.... And of course, this would be different for each country. I believe people from Europe usually buy and register the vehicle in their place of residence and then travel all over the world with those plates..

Other than that you would need to have an international road insurance (or a local one in each country) and do a temporal importation for the vehicle (or transit/passing thru permits) at each country.

So if you have friends in Europe/Middle East/Africa/Japan/Australia/South America they could help you to find out if is possible for you as a foreigner to purchase the vehicle and have it registered under your name and start your journey from there...

I wished they sold it in vietnam as i have family there that could register it under their name for me. I could probably import one to vietnam since their safely and emissions standards are much more lax, but the problem is i think their tariffs are insanely high.

I personally live in the US so registering it under my place is not an option sadly. Another thing is i am traveling with friends, who are either in the US or Canada (mostly US as this is my home), so we have to start the trip in Northern America.

I did read that i need international insurance which im hoping my DWI from the US wont affect the rates. That would really suck if it did.

Time to keep digging somewhere there is a perfectly good solution for me waiting to be discovered.

Again, i really appreciate everyones help.

Last edited:
I do have a couple friends ive known for years from online gaming that live in Australia though, as well as a high school buddy from Japan, but i have a feeling that there is probably a law against registering a car to my friends address.

Last edited:
Is it possible to never register a car at all if you buy it for the sole purpose of only driving through each country and only staying there for a month or so? Meaning for the sole purpose of driving it around the world. Can i buy, say, a new troopy and ship it to Canada then begin my trip there? I would just be driving it through the US and Canada to get to South America, so will the title and the fact that it was recently purchased with no intentions of staying in one country, be enough?

You can probably buy a car in another country, and you may even be able to import it to the USA (under one of the import exemptions, i.e. only for a limited time and/or purpose). But as has been mentioned, you'd need to register the car somewhere--ideally with the same address that's on any other paperwork you're traveling with. Every border you cross will need to see copies of your vehicle's papers. It's going to be a lot easier for you if all the addresses match, and if you have a passport from the same country where the vehicle is registered. That said, it is possible for an American to buy a car in Australia, and get it registered and insured. I've done it, but know that I was living there at the time, and did not try and export the car when I came back to the USA (I just sold it before leaving).

You can probably buy a car in another country, and you may even be able to import it to the USA (under one of the import exemptions, i.e. only for a limited time and/or purpose). But as has been mentioned, you'd need to register the car somewhere--ideally with the same address that's on any other paperwork you're traveling with. Every border you cross will need to see copies of your vehicle's papers. It's going to be a lot easier for you if all the addresses match, and if you have a passport from the same country where the vehicle is registered. That said, it is possible for an American to buy a car in Australia, and get it registered and insured. I've done it, but know that I was living there at the time, and did not try and export the car when I came back to the USA (I just sold it before leaving).

Thanks again Gil for your valuable input.

Thats the idea is to sell it at the end of the trip before returning to the US.

Unfortunately all of my travel documents will have a US address where the car cant be registered. I need to figure out if i can just register the car in Australia using my friends address. You said ideally it should be the same address on all documents, but if that isnt an option then i need to figure out how much trouble it will be if the car documents carry a different address from a different country.

First part i will work on is figuring out if i can get a newer one here under one of the exemptions. Who do i need to call to inquire, US Customs?

I wished there was a way to acquire global citizenship, as that would make my life so much easier!

So i get my license back in 6 weeks and i will need a Daily Driver/Cross Country vehicle for work and for taking my dog on Camping trips. I will also use this to travel to and from Canada to visit my friend(s) up there, as well as use it to do some light overlanding within North America.

Because i do not want to rush the 70s/Troopy project, i have decided to break my plans down into 2 parts. I really want to do this right so i will take my sweet time. The thought of buying a 25+ years old vehicle sight unseen from another country scares the crap out of me, seeing as how i can only afford 1 try at this. If i get screwed then i can pretty much kiss my dreams good bye.

Another reason i want to split it into 2 parts is because for the near future, i just need something that can handle me and my dog for mostly US travels, whereas the more distant future will require a vehicle for me and another person for global travels. As much as i have considered trying to knock out 2 birds with one stone and do it in one build, the fact that i will need something within 2 months means that i will have to rush finding a troopy and rush the build... and quite frankly the latter requirements is not something i can rush. I am playing it patient and hoping that good things will come to those who wait.

With that said, Part 1 will be buying something already built at a reasonable price, that me and my dog will use for about 1 year while i continue to look for a diesel troopy. I have been looking at some 80s and 100s, and even the 4runner TRD Pros, which, if allowed, i would love to link them here because i need help deciding on which one to get. I am torn between Solid Axles on the 80s and v8 for the 100s and 200s. Lately i have been leaning towards the V8s because i want the towing capacity for hauling around a trailer for work.

Here are two examples i've been considering:

Pros: It looks amazing and seems well taken care of.

Cons: v6 is going to have a tough time if i have to tow a loaded trailer for work. Also the price is a little high which will cut into my funds for building the troopy.

I honestly have no idea what to offer the guy for this but i will say that he has been nothing but great to deal with. Very transparent seller and i have already received tons of paperwork from him detailing what he has had done to it. The only real thing holding me back now is the V6 as well as the thought of paying 20k+ for a 1997 with 180k miles.

Pros: 2UZ-FE v8 and has been well taken care of as far as i could tell. Also has a fairly new engine (<40k miles) that was installed by Toyota with extended warranty. Also a plus that some of the build has been documented on Expedition Portal, which gives me good insight into what kind of owner he is. Also a big plus that is is listed for 10k below the 80s Cruiser.

Cons: It is a 1998, which is on the old side when i am specifically looking at 100s.

There are a couple more i am considering but i don't want to link too many as this is a 70s forum, so im not sure if i am allowed to ask here. Also, i am also looking every single day up until i purchase one so if you know of one i can consider please point me in the direction. Keep in mind that once the troopy has been located and secured, i will sell the first vehicle and use that money towards building up the Troopy.

As far as how i plan on finding the troopy, i plan on taking a trip to Japan or Australia next year, where i will stay for a month so that i can go test drive as many cruisers as i can, before settling on one to import back and build. I'm leaning heavily towards Australia, because Troop Carriers. I was thinking that i would do a good part of the build while i am in Australia, since it is fairly easy to find mods like pop tops and drawer systems and quality suspension like OME over there.

And again, I just want to thank everyone who has given me advice on here, as well as in DMs. The wealth of information and the hospitality here is just nothing short of amazing. You guys are all people i would love to share a campfire with one day if ever the opportunity arises!

Last edited:
I can't help much with the import/border laws as I have little to zero first hand experience. I've driven some vehicles across borders but they've all has valid and current registrations. I've never imported one or attempted what you are.

As for your vehicle search, it sounds like youre on the right path.

I may have missed it but what do you do for work (in other words, how heavy is the trailer you need to tow)?

The other question I would ask is what do your travel plans in the US look like before you find/acquire the Troopy? The general consensus (which I as an 80 owner and having wheeled a couple 100s agree with) is that the heavier the wheeling the more you want the 80.

I had a 2005 4runner that was somewhat built with a 3 inch Icon lift/associated parts and initially on 33s. It drove great that way and wheeled pretty well (although I broke a few half shafts in the IFS). Then I tried to stuff 35s under it. After a whole lot of cutting it drove like s*** and the (then) wife decided it needed sold). That led me to my 80 a couple years later. It's been a money pit but I've beat the ever living s*** out of it and it's never left me stranded. It's slow, expensive, and not the smoothest ride in the world.

The only real upside between it and the 100 is the 100 has a bit more pep and creature comforts. Downsides? Even more electronics than an 80 and IFS.

If you aren't wheeling hard, though, the IFS is fine. It really comes down to what your plans are.

You also mentioned you're going to be traveling with friends. If that's happening before you find your Troopy some consideration in that area is worth doing. In other words space, sleeping arrangements, etc.

No offense intended but having now read the whole thread it seems like you may be getting a bit ahead if yourself in terms of logistics for what you're proposing. Or at the least, you haven't offered much insight into the overall scenario. (Maybe you have in another thread?)

Also, keep in mind, whatever vehicle you end up with sooner, don't plan on selling it quickly unless you're willing to take a loss. Sometimes it happens but if speed will be needed to buy the Troopy don't plan on it.

Of course, I'd you're planning on baselining and traveling the world with the Troopy I'd assume (hope?) that funds aren't that much of an issue.

I work for the family business, and we wholesale supplies to beauty salons/other suppliers across mostly North America. Sometimes we do our own deliveries, but most of the time everything goes out via Freight or UPS/Fedex. Since we only make deliveries ourselves for other supply stores, each shipment is usually at least a few pallets worth of products. I will be dealing solely with other suppliers and not salons, so I would put the estimate at about 2000 pounds plus the trailer to be safe. Just a pallet of Nail Polish alone can weigh quite a bit, but almost everything else is much lighter. It's the liquids that weigh a lot.

So the US/North America travel will be 50% me exploring the continent, mainly US and Canada, and 50% me using it to visit various Supply stores. I would like to take my dog on as much of the non-work related trips as possible.

As far as what kind of wheeling, I just want to be able to get to the good camping spots. I have no interest in taking the hardest versus safest lines, i just want to get there and get home without getting stranded. Keep in mind the trailer will always be unloaded before i leave the pavement, meaning i will only take the scenic route on the way home from deliveries if i am making one. I don't mind taking my time and playing it safe with IFS, as long as it still gets me there and back. Basically i want to get to the challenging spots if needed, but i will be looking for the easy lines to get there. I also will not hesitate to use my winch often.

Thanks for the insight on the 35s vs 33s, it has been noted.

As far as selling it quickly, i do not plan on it. I will only sell it after i have already bought a troopy, and will take my time to sell it to help cover some of the build costs/traveling costs for the troopy. It's not something i need to rush. With that said, loss is expected, and whatever loss i take from depreciation and sales taxes/registration, i will more than save in not having to constantly pay for hotels and flights when i am traveling. That same logic applies to the Troopy for global travel (with friends).

Money is a concern for me, which is why i am taking this route. If i had to rely on car rentals, hotels, and flights to visit all the places and people i want to visit, then i would not be able to afford it by a long shot. This route im taking is not cheap, i know this, but at least i have a shot going this direction.

As far as logistics, what exactly do you mean? I have taken into consideration things like import taxes/shipping costs/time required for shipping an overseas vehicle. Those are costs i will pay regardless of whether or not i import it myself or if someone else did it and charged me for the service. I am pretty set on the 1HZ diesel as i think it's just hands down the most reliable engine for global travels, and i am pretty set on the troopy because i want an inside sleeping area, and there are already aftermarket options available that fit directly onto a Troopy roof.

I appreciate your insight and helping me to figure this out. I know i still am missing a lot of pieces which is why i am playing it patient with the Troopy.

Oh and it should be noted that for North American travels i dont need to build the vehicle as much due to a camper trailer being an option. For the troopy, i want to keep it small so that it can squueze through bushes more easily, but more importantly, it has to be able to fit into half of a shipping container. Having a trailer for global travels will add too much to shipping costs when i need to ship it across continents. For this reason the troopy will be way more built towards living inside and more off grid/long distance capable.

Well the 100 series i was considering had sold today, the rust-free one with the fairly new engine for 17,500. I had a feeling that one was not going to last.

No worries though, as i am sure that there is something better waiting to be found. Who knows, maybe someone will even list a clean troopy within the next 2 months! Not holding my breath but i can dream.

Until then, I could certainly use some advice though, on what a fair offer would be for the 97 80s i linked above. I will also appreciate any links you guys have for me to look at. Thanks!

I can't help much with the import/border laws as I have little to zero first hand experience. I've driven some vehicles across borders but they've all has valid and current registrations. I've never imported one or attempted what you are.

As for your vehicle search, it sounds like youre on the right path.

I may have missed it but what do you do for work (in other words, how heavy is the trailer you need to tow)?

The other question I would ask is what do your travel plans in the US look like before you find/acquire the Troopy? The general consensus (which I as an 80 owner and having wheeled a couple 100s agree with) is that the heavier the wheeling the more you want the 80.

I had a 2005 4runner that was somewhat built with a 3 inch Icon lift/associated parts and initially on 33s. It drove great that way and wheeled pretty well (although I broke a few half shafts in the IFS). Then I tried to stuff 35s under it. After a whole lot of cutting it drove like s*** and the (then) wife decided it needed sold). That led me to my 80 a couple years later. It's been a money pit but I've beat the ever living s*** out of it and it's never left me stranded. It's slow, expensive, and not the smoothest ride in the world.

The only real upside between it and the 100 is the 100 has a bit more pep and creature comforts. Downsides? Even more electronics than an 80 and IFS.

If you aren't wheeling hard, though, the IFS is fine. It really comes down to what your plans are.

You also mentioned you're going to be traveling with friends. If that's happening before you find your Troopy some consideration in that area is worth doing. In other words space, sleeping arrangements, etc.

No offense intended but having now read the whole thread it seems like you may be getting a bit ahead if yourself in terms of logistics for what you're proposing. Or at the least, you haven't offered much insight into the overall scenario. (Maybe you have in another thread?)

Also, keep in mind, whatever vehicle you end up with sooner, don't plan on selling it quickly unless you're willing to take a loss. Sometimes it happens but if speed will be needed to buy the Troopy don't plan on it.

Of course, I'd you're planning on baselining and traveling the world with the Troopy I'd assume (hope?) that funds aren't that much of an issue.

So i have grossly underestimated how much towing capacity i need if i wanted to use this for work-related travels when i said 2000lbs + trailer. I have been paying closer attention this week to how much my uncle hauls around for his trips and i would estimate it to be about 5000 lbs worth of products per trip, using an extended length high roof Ford Transit. I don't necessarily need to tow that much (plus trailer), but for the long trips to Canada, the more i can reliably haul the better. While i'm there i want to use it as an overland rig and visit friends and places. I'm going to put a lot of miles on whatever rig i get, so reliability is key. I might be that guy driving 50-100k miles per year.

Is it possible to get 200s level towing with a FZJ80s or HZ7*s, with running low boost (around 8 psi)? I ask this because i am on the fence between an HZJ77 or an FZJ80 series and boosting it, or just going for a V8/newer model.

I get my license back in 6 weeks, and it would be nice to get a rig that i can use for work as well as my family will help me pay for the vehicle if i do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here!

Wish someone would just post a Turbodiesel Troop Carrier up for sale and just end this debate for me! One can always dream right. I plan on making the trip to Australia late next year to find one to import back, unless one pops up in the US that fits my bill before then. Anyone know if i will have any issues importing it back if the engine has been swapped? I would love a Turbodiesel VD in a 1995 or older Troopy body.

Last edited:
Towing 5000 pounds, over the Rockies or at altitude, behind an FZJ80 or 1HZ-powered-anything will be ROUGH. :)

So would you suggest a 2006/07 100 series with the 2UZ-FE, or even a 200 series? versus throwing a turbo on the 1HZ/FZ and keeping it below 10 psi? I am thinking 8 lbs of boost isnt enough for either one but i am relatively clueless on the matter. Thanks!

So i have grossly underestimated how much towing capacity i need if i wanted to use this for work-related travels when i said 2000lbs + trailer. I have been paying closer attention this week to how much my uncle hauls around for his trips and i would estimate it to be about 5000 lbs worth of products per trip, using an extended length high roof Ford Transit. I don't necessarily need to tow that much (plus trailer), but for the long trips to Canada, the more i can reliably haul the better. While i'm there i want to use it as an overland rig and visit friends and places. I'm going to put a lot of miles on whatever rig i get, so reliability is key. I might be that guy driving 50-100k miles per year.

Is it possible to get 200s level towing with a FZJ80s or HZ7*s, with running low boost (around 8 psi)? I ask this because i am on the fence between an HZJ77 or an FZJ80 series and boosting it, or just going for a V8/newer model.

I get my license back in 6 weeks, and it would be nice to get a rig that i can use for work as well as my family will help me pay for the vehicle if i do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here!

Wish someone would just post a Turbodiesel Troop Carrier up for sale and just end this debate for me! One can always dream right. I plan on making the trip to Australia late next year to find one to import back, unless one pops up in the US that fits my bill before then. Anyone know if i will have any issues importing it back if the engine has been swapped? I would love a Turbodiesel VD in a 1995 or older Troopy body.

I am towing around 7000 pounds with my 1HZ swapped troopy , first trip I did was from Texas to North Cali with the bone stock 1HZ and I was ready to sell the turd when I got back here ;) Mountains or even strong headwinds brought the mighty troopy to it's knees and sometimes even going up in second gear !

After that trip I installed a CT26 turbo from a 1HDT with a top mounted intercooler and boosting @ 10 psi it pulls fine , still not like my HDJ100 in Europe but certainly better then any 1FZ powered cruiser and about as good as my 2UZ 100 I had here for a while.

I have a few turbo's laying around in the shop and have a 95 HZJ75 that will come to the US in the fall of next year , maybe a package deal ;)

IMG_6038.JPG

So would you suggest a 2006/07 100 series with the 2UZ-FE, or even a 200 series? versus throwing a turbo on the 1HZ/FZ and keeping it below 10 psi? I am thinking 8 lbs of boost isnt enough for either one but i am relatively clueless on the matter. Thanks!

The most I've towed with a 5.7 3UR (the V8 in a 200 or 2nd gen Tundra) was about 7500-8000 (an E38 BMW on a trailer with parts). It hauled it VERY well. I did some minor towing with my 200 (same engine), it also handled it like a champ.

The most I've towed with a 1st gen Tundra (4.7 V8) was about 6000 (another car). It did well.

If I wanted to stick to a Toyota and needed to haul over 5000 pounds, I would pick a 5.7 V8. Single Cab 2nd Gen Tundras are awesome. I miss mine. Just my opinion.

If I was to choose another rig to build besides a Troopy, I'd get a Chassis Cab, Regular Cab, Ram with a Cummins and toss a tray or 4WheelCamper on the back.

Or be a lunatic and put a L92 in a Troopy, but that's just silly...

The most I've towed with a 5.7 3UR (the V8 in a 200 or 2nd gen Tundra) was about 7500-8000 (an E38 BMW on a trailer with parts). It hauled it VERY well. I did some minor towing with my 200 (same engine), it also handled it like a champ.

The most I've towed with a 1st gen Tundra (4.7 V8) was about 6000 (another car). It did well.

If I wanted to stick to a Toyota and needed to haul over 5000 pounds, I would pick a 5.7 V8. Single Cab 2nd Gen Tundras are awesome. I miss mine. Just my opinion.

If I was to choose another rig to build besides a Troopy, I'd get a Chassis Cab, Regular Cab, Ram with a Cummins and toss a tray or 4WheelCamper on the back.

Or be a lunatic and put a L92 in a Troopy, but that's just silly...

I have to disagree about pulling with the 5.7 Tundra , I had one and although it has enough power ( more then enough) the way the transmission keeps continuously shifting up and down drove me nuts. I replaced that one with a Ram2500 with a Cummins that is the ultimate towing vehicle but I hated it for everything else so that went out also , really wish I could import my HDJ100 and my Ifor Willams CT177 trailer here as for me that is the ideal setup to haul single vehicles.

1DF90CCB-80B3-4FD6-B6E4-E5075C5AD6D4.jpeg

Joe, that sounds like something we could talk about for sure. As i have stated, my long-term plan is still to go with a Troopy and ditch any trailers when i leave North America. The troopy will be solely for the purpose of traveling/living in and will not need to tow anything for work. I will be keeping an eye on that! That would save me a trip to Australia if it works out!

Also, when you say the 10psi 1HZ pulls fine, would you trust it to pull that weight often and for long trips? I imagine there being many mountains in Canada. Is towing that much with low boost pushing it, leaving you no extra power to accelerate out of the way if needed?

Tony, or anyone who wants to pitch in, if going V8 and looking to spend 40k or below, would you recommend going with a close-to-stock 200, or go with a 100 series and have money leftover for building it? It's going to be a bummer to give up on the HZJ77 and the 80s series ive been considering, but i'm definitely concerned about it's practicality for me at the moment. How do i make the most out of my money? I would prefer to stick to a cruiser over a tundra, but you guys know better so just point me in the right direction!

Not sure if i need to make a separate thread in the 200s forums for this, but what do you guys think of this? 2011 LX 570 with 125k miles for ~$26k. It is located near my house!
JTJHY7AX8B4062495 | 2011 Lexus LX 570 for sale in Raleigh, NC

Thanks again for everyones time, i very much appreciate it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom