J40 PTO lever pivot question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening,

Does anyone have experience making their own pto pivot bolt? I am rebuilding my PTO winch and planing to make my own pivot with a regular bolt threaded into the transmission and the non-threaded part be the pivot surface. Does this sound like it would work, because it does to me. Also, does anyone know the thread size that goes into the side of the transmission?

Thanks for looking and your help.

Ty

IMG_8466.jpeg

The existing pivot tightens the hex against the gearbox housing.
You'd need a nut on your bolt to do that, otherwise you'll bottom it out in the hole and that could go badly.

I'd guess it's m10 or m12 - not been in there for a while.

The existing pivot tightens the hex against the gearbox housing.
You'd need a nut on your bolt to do that, otherwise you'll bottom it out in the hole and that could go badly.

I'd guess it's m10 or m12 - not been in there for a while.
Okay thanks. Fine thread or course do you know?

Thanks.

It's metric, there's only one option (in theory, there are two pitches for every size, but niether ISO nor JIS uses them that way). Either way, the pitch is 1.25.

There is no reason why you can't make your own. If you use hex stock, you'll be money ahead.

It's metric, there's only one option (in theory, there are two pitches for every size, but niether ISO nor JIS uses them that way). Either way, the pitch is 1.25.

There is no reason why you can't make your own. If you use hex stock, you'll be money ahead.
Is that pitch standard for toyota m10 / m12?

The ISO Standard M10 coarse pitch would be 1.5mm, and fine would be 0.75mm but there are four common pitches for M10 (0.75, 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5) all of which are readily available in a multitude of fastener options (outside the US at least).

What I mean is; there's probably something you can buy on ebay that will do the job without resorting to making it from scratch.

JIS is 1.25 for M10 & M12

JIS is not ISO

I guess if you could find a metric shoulder bolt...that would preclude the use of the outer washer and cotter pin. If you could find one, and if it was the right length.

Like this:
1687985550535.png

1687985614897.png

1687985578979.png

Last edited:
In Europe in THE automotive industry We tend to’ use fine thread , 1,25 mm .
Toyota dose the Same.

I'm inclined to agree on both points - the Shouldered bolt might be the easiest option but will need to drill out the lever, and yes it's probably M10x1.25

Getting off the point from the OP, but my understanding was that JIS was pipe fittings only?

Had to look up the ISO thing now to check... So M10 "Coarse" is definitive at 1.5mm pitch, but "Fine" is a bit more wooly.
ISO 261 identifies 3 options for "Fine" (0.75, 1.0, and 1.25).
ISO262 presents a more common / preferred subset, but still identifies two pitches as "Fine" 1.0 and 1.25 (although I agree the latter is much more common).

Given how fragile some of the old aluminium can be on various parts, I'm very wary of screwing in the wrong thread, and there are definitely exceptions to be found.

'64 chassis/frame, H55 with '64 PTO linkage
Plate and pin/shaft were fabricated so linkage was as close to the transmission as possible. make sure you include isolators😉

i would not use a bolt. try and find some roundstock with O.D. to match your shifter's I.D.

1687998326500.png

1687998375030.png

1687998410039.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom