I've caught the Land Cruiser bug: need an opinion on this POS 40-Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
Here's one you could buy for about $7k USD...$10,000 · 72 FJ40 Landcruiser

Your body man could paint the hardtop and doors for winter, and you could be driving it this month.

It's been for sale here for months... Price slowly coming down.

Well I guess I will chime in since it's my Cruiser. It's not a total rust bucket, The front floors are solid as a rock with zero holes. the back is only rusty because a bag of rock salt sat there for 20 years. I have replaced the rubber brake lines, clutch and brake masters. The FJ is mostly complete, runs and drives. The frame has Zero rust holes on it. I have bought one cruiser on here from a trusted member and it was nowhere
near as described. I have nothing to hide on it. As for the price well that's up to the market to decide. But I can tell you before I put it on eBay it was all dealer/restores trying to buy it. It has hit it's reserve on eBay so it will sell. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

It's a tough market... But if u like the challenge of resurrection and have patience then I'd say Do it, it's almost all there, beside tub issue.. which is a nice way to start, cruiser parts add up fast.

My goal was to get a good entry price on a mostly complete project vehicle that I could learn on, and do diy stuff to get it road worthy and respectable enough to drive around to local car events

That said my heart dropped when my "almost running" project showed up in the daylight on a flatbed. I had a bigger challenge than I expected... But I've had fun, and my moto ha always been, well I cant mess it up worse than it was...

I attempted to provide gut feel pricing on aftermarket panels/parts for the diy daily driver resto-mudder

Some of the tough bits that u have are:
- stock wheels
- hardtop
- ambi doors ?
- doors seem solid from pictures
- tube tire carrier with urban myth latch and bump stop
- air intake horn?
- smog equipment
- stock carb

Missing
- air intake filter holder contraption... $150ish
- rusted panels
--- 2 quarters about 300 for aftermarket or a few buck for patching diy
--- wheel well tops and sides, maybe 400 total, but I think I spy the extra too panels in the tub???
-mirror heads(20 bux each)
- rear sill (300-400)
- rear floor (400 for ribbed, or <50? for flat thick steel panel)
- paint job, cool that it looks to have orig mustard paint
- calipers and pads(250)

Things to check, other typical problem areas or missing items:
- check the main beam, probably rusted (300?)
- under wheel well brace supports
For the roll bar(100 each?)
- rusty fuel tank(250)
-door limits
-some light
-rear license plate beaker and dome lights

Hope this perspective helps.. The journey is fun for some and aggregating for others... Do some soul searching. It looks like at that entry price and some upgrades, say ten grand all in, you'll probably have a great end product!

The rear main beam is solid with only surface rust no holes or flaking,

The wheel well brace on the passenger side is gone, like rust away.

Fuel tank is not rusty I cleaned it out when I got the FJ40 (there was no rust inside it)

The door Limiters are there I just didn't hook them back up

I have the License plate holder

I don't think I have the dome light

My guess is u will get 5-6k on eBay

EDIT: let me rephrase, I think and hope u get above 5k. GLWS!

Last edited:
"the back is only rusty" You are kidding right? The back is not rusty, it is GONE. I can see rust holes starting in the rocker and on the side panels. It is a RUST BUCKET. We will have to see what the market will bare. A few years ago there was a 76 near me on ebay that was a much bigger rust bucket then this, I thought about picking it up till it went up to $2K, I think it sold for $7K or more. I assume some restorer bought it because it had the PTO and was 100% complete, they had all the original sales paper , window stickers, tools etc etc. I mean it was really 100% complete other then the parts of the body missing from rust, and its engine was locked up with the head removed years prior. So even if they are a rust bucket, you never know. With the right skills rust can be fixed for cheap, a lot of time but not a lot of money. If you pay someone to fix it, probably be cheaper to build a time machine and go back and buy one new.

@Kansas Cruiser

If you get 5k plus I will be very surprised and hopeful for my truck lol

I'll have to call my brother right away after to see if his wife just gave birth to a monkey

IMHO I'd be happy to get the 3k where it's at now .., but... I am also interested to see how high it does go

Good luck with the sale

It's know where near a rust bucket. I've seen and owned way worse, as far as what it sells for we will see. They really are no different than the early 911's that in the last few years have gone crazy. 10 years ago I had 1977 911 turbo that I couldn't give away for 13000.00 now that car is worth 75g+ The price of nice 40's has gone way up so the project cruiser have gone up as well.

Do I think it's worth 5 or 6 grand? No, but you also never know with eBay

I just talked to a local cruiser owner who is looking at selling his fleet for a Delica. He said he'd want $5000 for his 42 and it is pretty rusty...a lot worse than the posted vehicle. I'm no expert but maybe the value of these rigs is higher than I expected.

The FJ40 market is all over the place, seems to be the cycle with any vehicle that has a popularity boom with individuals with money to burn. Suzuki Samurais have done the same thing in the last 10 years, used to find awesome $100 ones and now it's 4-5k for running one without rust (smaller scale than 40's).

To the OP it looks like a decent start, being complete is nice but the rear rot is common. With my FJ40 purchase I was looking for one with a complete top, doors, running engine, and rust free frame. Took a while to find one in my budget (under 3000) and eventually found one with those features. It is not complete, nor is it original. So my time will be spent de-POing it, fixing rust and tracking down used parts in a bloated market. Will I end up paying more compared to buying a decent complete one...probably, but my budget couldn't support that initial purchase price.

I recommend figuring out your comfort level with various problems and find the cruiser that fits it best. The mustard 40 originally asked about would have definitely been one I would have jumped on.if it was in my budget. I'm in the rust belt so everything will be rusted to some extent.

The question is how much has been bondo'd over which the mustard looks to be more original. There's something to be said for knowing the issues rather than uncovering them. Just my .02cents

Ya surprises suck, that's why I took multiple pictures of all the rust. My cruiser is all original paint except for the primer on the bottom of the bib

From experience with buying and selling several "project 40s" and being involved in a frame off 72 project I would offer the following advice in todays market. A complete truck, motor, tranny/transfer, gas tank, wiring harness, doors, fenders and interior, and with your friends ability to do virtually anything body wise it makes a running complete truck a priority. If he can weld and fab he can make it nice. Especially in todays bloated market for parts and complete running drivers, get as close to a complete running truck as you can. Gathering parts is a costly time consuming endeavor. And soon it will be impossible to get everything you need. They all rust unless they are western non ocean front trucks.

dlzadl, you got that right. Its a rust bucket, but 2 4x8 sheets of metal is probably $100 and would be enough metal to fix the entire thing, probably even less then 1 sheet so maybe $50 There are even great threads on here showing many people with no real fab skill or tools fabricating incredible panels and patches. One guy made a form out of wood to bend the metal, another used carpet a pipe and hammer to form the rear corner, and another a hammer and some time to form a floor panel WITH THE RIBS. Some of the rebuild threads I have seen on this site of trucks in much much MUCH worse shape being restored in home garages with minimal tools. I am chocked at the price or shocked at the market more likely. But I agree and I have said it in many posts, give me a complete rust bucket over a non running incomplete broken down one with no rust, because in reality there are very few that actually have no rust. Most just have not rusted through to the outside yet.

Looks like you got your money!!! Please let us know once you actually get the cash, I would love to know if the deal goes through, not because the price is crazy but just curious. I bought my CJ8 and my 1962 FJ40 off ebay but I always hear these deals always fall through. So I hope you give us some follow up. Congrats on selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom