It is time for some love ❤️ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.februarydesign.com
IMG_1262.jpeg

Pick my 3Q2 up almost 3 yrs ago with 189k miles and pretty much done nothing to it except couple of oil change and heater Ts replacement.

Bought the truck unseen from a Chevy dealer in Kentucky, got a walk through video and carfax then rolled the dice. Knowing the sunroof not working and AC, nav not working, it was priced attractively. No rust and fairly clean. Being a cruiser nut, can’t pass the deal!!

It showed up 3 weeks later, and of course there are some surprises but not much, both good and bad.

Been working mostly on customer’s truck, finally I said enough is enough, mine is begging for some love too!

63071746994__4BB2AB4E-0A06-4014-8B60-3B2B8670CF9A.jpeg

First inspection.
IMG_1268.jpeg

Good thing I like about it is it has not been to any MacGyver run shop yet. Everything seems original or done right at first impression.
IMG_1271.jpeg

Then I spotted coolant trails. Heater T were on its last leg and leaking anti freeze, crumbled once I put my fingers on them, my heart sank!! First thing come to my mind is head gasket l!!

Calmly replacing the heater Ts from my inventory, top off the pink juice while cursing then I turned the key and wait. 15 minutes passed, temp normal. Took it out for a drive and finally a smile on my face. And it has been chugging along since.

IMG_1272.jpeg

So the AC and buttons on the nav seems to work intermittently. I waited for a bit, and it became more serious into summer. Can’t do without AC in Texas heat, quite common issue with the infamous pin 60. Took it apart and reflow pin 60. Put it back together and it has been working fine since. Almost certain it was pin 60 when dealer described the AC and nav issues, hit jackpot on this one.

IMG_7664.jpeg
IMG_7665.jpeg

Without outside temp is usually the indication of fail connection at pin 60.
IMG_7669.jpeg

IMG_7673.jpeg

There is a very tiny small crack by pin 60 at the solder point that prevent the multi control nav unit to work properly. Reflow pin 60 with fine solder point usually solve the issue once it is connected again.

IMG_7678.jpeg

Finally able to control AC function along with other buttons. No more driving while having sauna! 😂

Last edited:
Been selling the JDM rear wiper kit for sometime now. Put one on finally!
IMG_3571.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg

Last edited:
Have sometime to do more PM tonight after work. Replaced all new hood struts and lift gate struts, original is getting tired. No more lift gate dropping on my head when weather is cold. Of course only OE Genuine parts made by KYB.
IMG_3362.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

New replacement hood struts is about an inch longer than original ones, this the hood provide slightly more clearance when opened.

IMG_3372.jpeg

Front

IMG_3374.jpeg

Rear

Part # for rear struts? My wife will thank you for no more falling hatch glass.

Last edited:
View attachment 3460291

Pick my 3Q2 up almost 3 yrs ago with 189k miles and pretty much done nothing to it except couple of oil change and heater Ts replacement.

Bought the truck unseen from a Chevy dealer in Kentucky, got a walk through video and carfax then rolled the dice. Knowing the sunroof not working and AC, nav not working, it was priced attractively. No rust and fairly clean. Being a cruiser nut, can’t pass the deal!!

It showed up 3 weeks later, and of course there are some surprises but not much, both good and bad.

Been working mostly on customer’s truck, finally I said enough is enough, mine is begging for some love too!

View attachment 3460292
First inspection.
View attachment 3460293

Good thing I like about it is it has not been to any MacGyver run shop yet. Everything seems original or done right at first impression.
View attachment 3460294
Then I spotted coolant trails. Heater T were on its last leg and leaking anti freeze, crumbled once I put my fingers on them, my heart sank!! First thing come to my mind is head gasket l!!

Calmly replacing the heater Ts from my inventory, top off the pink juice while cursing then I turned the key and wait. 15 minutes passed, temp normal. Took it out for a drive and finally a smile on my face. And it has been chugging along since.

View attachment 3460295
What year is your rig?

It's a carbon copy of my '04....same everything. Great rig.

A man’s butt deserved to be pampered.
IMG_3448.jpeg

Been riding in this condition for a while.
IMG_3447.jpeg

Decided to try out micro leather and see how it goes, I usually use real leather and do the complete front seats. Condition of the rest are actually still in great shape, so decided to just do the bottom. If I don’t like it, will redo again. Pulled a new bottom foam from shelve and have fun.

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

Old and new foam. The original foam still in great shape and no disintegration or tearing. I could have reuse, but I have tried the steaming technique before, it is just a delusion people on you tube want you to believe it can revive the foam. No it doesn’t, the new foam is firmer and provide much better support.

IMG_3458.jpeg

Done! May have to replace the top foam too when I have time. My butt thanks me. ☺️

Why were you worried about the head gasket? Were you worried that they had been leaking for a while?

Did you replace the seat heaters too? Do you stock the new foam?
Looking good!

I didn't know they sold just the bottom foam pad. The rest of my leather is in good shape so maybe I should consider doing just the butt leather?

Why were you worried about the head gasket? Were you worried that they had been leaking for a while?
Yea it may have caused over heating the motor and blow HG if not careful, but thank God it wasn't bad. But certainly not safe to be driven on the road, the heater T will disintegrate anytime.

Did you replace the seat heaters too? Do you stock the new foam?
Looking good!
Not, just relocate the original one to the new foam and leather, pretty straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom