Isuzu Diesel Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody out there know where I can find a used isuzu 4bd1 or 6bd1 for sale. I am also wondering if anybody know about the Tcase setup on them. Will a np203 or other np bolt up to it? If not, then does anybody make conversion parts for them.

Before I decided on doing a rebuild on my 2f I looked into an Isuzu swap, nobody that I called makes or had any knowledge of anyone else making adapters. Alot of farmers out here are pulling their 454's off the wells when it's time for a rebuild and replacing them with Isuzus. A little 4 cyl. diesel will pull the same amount of water as a big block, but they sit there and purr on a nickels worth of fuel per day. Would be a great swap...IMOP.

It might work OK on a well but our Isuzu Diesel work truck was a POS. It would only do 55 downhill. My lawn mower gets great mileage too but I sure wouldn't drive it to town.

For the price of the Izuzu diesel on E-Bay you could by a whole rusty Canadian BJ60 or HJ60 and transplant everything from the drive train, or better yet pick up a 13B-T or 12H-T out of Japan. Remember the engine is just the beginning, you need all the relays, glow timers etc. etc. to make the diesel work (right back to the ignition switch to get the preheat going), unless you're going to do it all with manual switches! I'm considering a diesel swap into my daughters FJ55 (currently under a frame off restoration) using a Toyota 3B engine I already have in the garage and a wiring harness, relays etc. from a BJ60.

get a direct injection diesel and you don't need to glow, they don't have glow plugs.

my 1980 hj45 (h engine) starts on cool-cold mornings without glow plugs, i know this isn't standard practice, but i kept forgetting it was a diesel the first week i had it back

I do know that it is probably the best diesel swap you can do. All I need to know is where to get the parts.

isuzus rule!!
i wish my trooper came withj an isuzu direct injection....man that would be sweet.

that is the engine that is used by the military for all their 6wd landrover perenties. They are an awsome engine with plenty of power, and they run forever. Took the army a while to see the light and redesign the landrover to incorporate it though. But they may have finally come to the dark side. There was a rumour, i dont know if its true that they had signed a contract for their next batch with toyota for the 78 traybacks and troopies. (Australian Army)

hammerhead, you might be right on with your experience with Isuzu diesels. But, I personally know that when I engage the well on the big blocks, I have to slowly engage the clutch as not to kill the motor, the Isuzu's, they are being put on with-out a clutch...direct drive, that kind of power comes from somewhere..and it's not from a lawnmower engine. Of course economy is only based on use, but a close friend of mine that farms 5 miles west of me bought 11 new Isuzu motors, $139k for the batch, they where payed for already this season by what he saved on the natural gas/big block expense, of course he had gotten lucky and contracted 50k gallons of farm diesel at .80 last winter, that helps a little.

I got to thinking more about the subject, I'll put it in a better aspect. Our wells average 300' deep, usually a 8" well that will pump 1000 gallons per minute, that's 8,800 lbs of water being pushed in a column straight up out of the ground..every minute, (90 degrees against gravity) and that's only to get to the surface. There's going to be up to 1/2 mile of pipe the water gets pushed through, and that's normally up hill also. This is done with a 4 cyl. Isuzu.

From what I hear from the Rover crowd, The 4BD1 in the Series III Stage I, Has incredible amount of off Idle Torque. :eek:

isuzus rule!!
i wish my trooper came withj an isuzu direct injection....man that would be sweet.
That engine in the Jackeroo, Would have to be one one the most rattliest Diesel I've ever heard, After the Iveco Daily and the Mercedes Benz Sprinter. :-*

ok...scratch the direct inject then until they work the bugs out at least....but i still wish they had put some isuzu diesal in my trooper instead of the ugly anchor of the gmc world....the 2.8 chevy v6 :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom