ISO: Rear brake Rotors and pads recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All.
It's about time to get my rear in good shape.
Local Tech quoted me $730 for a rear brake pad/ rotor swap.
So, I'm like, going to do it myself..

Where do you guys get our parts from?
Now I don't go hard in the mud or mountains, I'm more of a daily driver, weekend camping type guy.
I searched a few threads and saw that Slee has the a killer set up, no surprise there. I may go the Slee route when I get around to the front brakes.
But what do you say about jut stock inn the rear? Where do you get your oem parts from, whats the average price?
Are there any other parts manufacturer I should consider over OEM?

What else do you look for/take care of while your all up in the back end?

This was helpful:

Thanks!

OEM is a great option, if not the best.

Clean E Brake drums well, check everything over, make sure it's well adjusted.

Quick glance around for gear lube leaks at the axle. They will be obvious.

If brakes are all original you can get slide pin and piston boot replacements. Clean and put some brake grease in on the slide pins.

Go the extra mile and put some CNC brake shim goop on the back of the pads if you like. Helped eliminate cold weather squeaks for me.

OEM is a great option, if not the best. How about Power Stop? Looks good on my budget, but OEM is OEM.. Amazon product ASIN B005FKP01O
Clean E Brake drums well, check everything over, make sure it's well adjusted. Will I need an alignment afterwards?

Quick glance around for gear lube leaks at the axle. They will be obvious.

If brakes are all original you can get slide pin and piston boot replacements. Clean and put some brake grease in on the slide pins. Pin replacement itself or just the boot part?

Go the extra mile and put some CNC brake shim goop on the back of the pads if you like. Helped eliminate cold weather squeaks for me. Like copper compound, between the back pad and backing plate?

Last edited:
I replaced my rotors all around with the DBA T3s that Slee sells.

I'll be doing the same on the new (to-me) '99 when it needs them.

can't remember which pads I used though (probably OEM)

I'd buy from you local dealer or Camelback, Bell Lexus, etc. Or go to a MUD vendor @sleeoffroad or @wardharris
I'll buy plenty of stuff off Amazon, but not brake components.

Check you parking brake bell cranks, grease them or replace them:

Not sure what happened with your inline reply above @NolaNomad , but I will respond here.

1. Powerstop was ok. I gave them a shot and found that even carefully bedded they didn't feel right. Braking was not linear. OEM rotors and pads seem very well matched, which may contribute to my experience of them not warping as readily as other aftermarket products used. I did have a set of non-slotted/drilled powerstops on my 1st Gen Tundra in the rear and they seemed up to the task.

2. Just the boot, unless the boots have been torn and water has corroded/pitted the pins. If they were greased during brake pad replacements before the pins should be in good shape.

3. This is an example of the grease to use on the pins and the slides - any type works. CRC Brake Caliper Grease

4. This is what I use to reduce the squeal in cold weather: CRC Disc Brake Quiet I apply a thin oval bead of it between the brake shims and the back of the pad and toss them in. One 4oz bottle will last a long time.

Last edited:
Not the popular choice here but I went with Bosch pads and rotors for my rear brakes. Purchased back in September through Amazon for approximately $115 after tax.

Cleaned and adjusted the hand brake, applied the anti squeal goo to the back of the pads and they've been effective and uneventful since.

My LX470 is a '99 with 210000 on the odometer. Rear brake rotors were original. One improvident I noticed was that when testing the run time on the brake motor the times went from 41 seconds with the old rotors to 32 seconds with the new rotors. The old rotors had noticeable material loss on the mating surface. Not saying my choice is equal or better than OEM, it's just what I chose to do.

I replaced both front and rear with Brembo disks and stuck with OEM pads. At the same time I replaced all the rubber brake lines with SS (from Slee). Very happy with petal feel afterward — probably mostly due to reduced ballooning of the 20 year old rubber brake lines.

I like my Stoptech pads and rotors. buybrakes.com has a kit with pads, rotors, and all the little clips you need. I was also able to find a discount code somewhere.

$220 shipped for rear rotors and pads.

Right now Toyota is offering free ground shipping on parts orders over $50 at participating dealers. Good time to buy OEM if you must replace rotors etc. May 2020 - Memorial Day Sale

Your rotors may be good- measure thickness against min-max: its printed right on the rotor hat. If still in spec, have them resurfaced- maybe $20 ea for that then add new pads and related shims hardware, clean up E brake hardware, and flush brake system. I think OEM rotors are hard to beat, pads are different.

Most aftermarket pads come with the antisqueal shims, where with Toyota, you purchase separately. Akebono ceramic is a good aftermarket option, and CarQuest Wearever Platinum Professional brand (Advance Auto) is repackaged Akebono at a little better discount. Order online for pick up and you can use the 25% coupon to save even more. These are a little less expensive option to OEM and work great.

Lots of options and good savings right now

I like my Stoptech pads and rotors. buybrakes.com has a kit with pads, rotors, and all the little clips you need. I was also able to find a discount code somewhere.

$220 shipped for rear rotors and pads.
Hey Riff, how long have you been running the P-Stops in the rear? You like the performance as good or better than stock?

O Reilly turns disks, $12 each in FL. However rear rotors are not much more.

Akebono pads are great for daily drivers - minimal dust, quiet, long lasting. A little pricier than others, but recommend if you are keeping your truck for awhile. You probably can't go wrong with any top name pad.

I used centric rotors and hoses. Centric/stoptech same company (apcautotech). They have a nice writeup on bedding pads:

Hey Riff, how long have you been running the P-Stops in the rear? You like the performance as good or better than stock?

Just to clarify I put Stoptechs on, not Powerstops.

here's the kit I bought: 2000 Lexus LX470 Base Brake Kits - Rotors and Pads - StopTech Brake Kit - Slotted- Stage 3 Street Rotor and Pad Kit

Regarding performance, it's really hard to say. I had a persistent brake wobble at low speeds and replacing the rear rotors and pads fixed that, but I've only had them on for 48 hours and haven't driven much.

DBA rotors are the best aftermarket option for me next to OEM. I’d stay away from EBC Green stuff pads if you don’t like excessive brake dust (take it from me that’s my pads in front)

Rotor turning sounds like it varies from place to place quite a bit. I was quoted $40 a piece and I had to bring them in.

If you get a quality turn for $12 to $20 sure sounds like the way to go if they have material left on them.

I run OEM rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Like the feel and they stop great, on my 2nd set, first set lasted 60K miles.
I get them at AutoAnything when they run one of their sales.

If your parking shoes need replacement use OEM, I used aftermarket when I did mine and will go OEM next time the rear rotors are off. I adjusted them per the FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom