Is this Chinese all aluminum radiator IT?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrTorgue

Grizzly Clint
Threads
I hate plastic radiator tanks. So naturally after searching the internets i only found a Chinese all aluminum radiator. Over a decade later from the last GX470 year model and still not really any all aluminum radiators out there—much less no Chinese ones?

Is THIS my only option?

I assume you have tried searching for 4Runner radiators as well?

The 4th gen FJC and 4runner V6 model radiators don’t fit. Tried a URD aluminum radiator, it was a no go.

I was checking all 4.7 equipped trucks, no luck. I gots to have me all aluminum radiator, preferably non-Chinese.

I looked a while back. I just went Denso. It's OEM. It's actually improved since my 04 was made. If it lasted 15 years and most others are similar that is good enough for me.

I'm new to the GX world, but I'll treat it the same way I do on my e36 BMW...maintenance item to be replaced at a certain interval; with this vehicle it will be done whenever the timing belt gets serviced

I'm new to the GX world, but I'll treat it the same way I do on my e36 BMW...maintenance item to be replaced at a certain interval; with this vehicle it will be done whenever the timing belt gets serviced

While that makes sense if there was an alternative that would last two, three or five times longer why wouldn’t you want that?

While that makes sense if there was an alternative that would last two, three or five times longer why wouldn’t you want that?
If it were the same price, sure. All aluminum ones are available for the e36...but they are at least twice as expensive so there's not much point.

If it were the same price, sure. All aluminum ones are available for the e36...but they are at least twice as expensive so there's not much point.

I’m not really worried about money. I do agree the average folk may have pricing concerns and that is legitimate but now that we are swimming cash I don’t mind spending a bit on something that will last a long time.

@MrTorgue

I just installed this radiator this last weekend. The biggest issues I ran into:
1. This radiator is a bit thicker than stock and the end tanks are square, not round.
2. The 4 mounting tabs for the radiator on the stock radiator are flush with the leading (bumper side) edge of the radiator. The aluminum one has these mounting tabs set back about 1/2".
2a. #1 and #2 make it so you need some washers and longer bolts to push the radiator back so it isn't hitting the mounting frame.
3. The radiator cap neck is totally different than stock so your factory or TRD radiator cap won't fit.

Only been on a couple drives but it seems like a solid radiator. Need to do a full write up as it's own thread at some point.

I’m not really worried about money. I do agree the average folk may have pricing concerns and that is legitimate but now that we are swimming cash I don’t mind spending a bit on something that will last a long time.
Griffin Radiators will custom make one for you. Also some local radiator shops will as well.

@MrTorgue

I just installed this radiator this last weekend. The biggest issues I ran into:
1. This radiator is a bit thicker than stock and the end tanks are square, not round.
2. The 4 mounting tabs for the radiator on the stock radiator are flush with the leading (bumper side) edge of the radiator. The aluminum one has these mounting tabs set back about 1/2".
2a. #1 and #2 make it so you need some washers and longer bolts to push the radiator back so it isn't hitting the mounting frame.
3. The radiator cap neck is totally different than stock so your factory or TRD radiator cap won't fit.

Only been on a couple drives but it seems like a solid radiator. Need to do a full write up as it's own thread at some point.

Did you ever do the write up? I’m thinking about getting both of our GX’s (470 & 460) these radiators. I know my 460 needs a radiator soon.

I cannot find a local north Texas shop to make me one so it’s China or nothing. I suppose I could just use a Denso replacement until the next 90-100k miles rolls by and revisit this topic.

What about a group buy with Griffin Radiator? Is there any variants of the design or just one design that covers from 2003 to 2009? We might be able to get a good American made product at a decent price.

What about a group buy with Griffin Radiator? Is there any variants of the design or just one design that covers from 2003 to 2009? We might be able to get a good American made product at a decent price.

I wanted to submit a build request with them but it’s requiring my phone # and address which I won’t do until I purchase the product.

Any ideas what these cost from Griffin?

I wanted to submit a build request with them but it’s requiring my phone # and address which I won’t do until I purchase the product.

Any ideas what these cost from Griffin?
I'll talk with them tomorrow and post any findings here. My guess would be around $350.

I'll talk with them tomorrow and post any findings here. My guess would be around $350.

I’ll do it all day long for $350 or less.

@MrTorgue

what radiator do you speak of?

Remember, this is a guess based on little to no data.

Bad News

Just got off phone with Griffin Radiator. Ballpark figure for custom build is $850 (starter price). Build time is about 6-8 weeks. And they would need a physical copy of one to get actual dimensions.

They can do a "lot build" of several radiators but they would only deal with one person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom