Is this 80 WAY too much money??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy low and sell high! Shop southeast and sell northwest, or something like that. :popcorn:

People try that. That's how I got mine. Guy bought it from Cali for somewhere between $8k and $9k, started at $12k and couldn't sell it, dropped to $11k, then $10k (when I saw it). I offered $9k, he took $9.3k.

So you can do it, but it's hard (especially in this economy).

The biggest problem is that even a fairly naive car buyer can identify and recognize rust. And a lot of the cheap 80's have at least surface rust.

If you can find an uber clean 80 for the right price, I'd absolutely buy it and try and sell it up here. But that's a lot of work for fairly little pay off. :meh:

Yeah definitely not prepared to buy it. I'd have to sell my tundra first, wouldn't think about trading it in. I was just driving by and decided to swing in real quick to check it out. It was like 9 am and the salesman already started giving me the...yeah we just put it out this morning and already have a couple offers, blah blah blah.

It's actually at a reputable, larger dealership though.

I appreciate all of the input.

Tell them to keep the brush damager, and roof peeler. Fix the seat and the rear wiper and offer 6k IF it has lockers.

Thats a little too high. A 97 in good condition in the right region with no rust will still fetch about $10,000-$14,000 depending on mileage and maintenance.

I paid $8 for my 96 in similar cosmetic condition, excellent mechanical condition and fewer miles last year. But...included Slee bumpers, sliders, lift, Warn winch, ARB roof rack, locking diffs. So seems really high relative to that. I think tromz is on the money.

I paid 6k for mine before I found mud...triple locked stock somewhat rusty, pretty good interior, no so good maitainence. I haggled and had a few issues fixed for that price because it was listed as good condition. ha right...we all know that is a realitive term.

i bought my 96 80 with e lockers and almost no rust, no tears in the leather, but 240k miles for 4600. that price seems very high, but my wife is from the pnw so i know that things are more expensive up there. come get one from utah off of ksl. it may be worht the drive.

I just bought my 1994. Loaded with leather and lockers. 231K. Never been offroad. Normal wear and tear. I paid $4267 in So Cal.

You just have to be patient. It took me about 6 months but I found a 94 locked, with 167K and a new head job done by Toyota for $7K from a dealer here in Seattle. The car has spent its whole life in the PNW, zero rust.

I just bought my 1994. Loaded with leather and lockers. 231K. Never been offroad. Normal wear and tear. I paid $4267 in So Cal.

Of course i have to ask - Why 4267 ??? some sort of tax thing involved??

Remind the dealer that it gets 14 mpg on a good day and gas prices are going up.

Selling mine $6900.

skintunes said:
Of course i have to ask - Why 4267 ??? some sort of tax thing involved??

Exactly.

So you can do it, but it's hard (especially in this economy).

Which is another good point - this truck may not have always been PNW-based.

Certainly agree that a California/Southwest/PNW truck that's never seen salt is worth a premium, though.

Might check out this e bay listing in CA, #180830462610

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom