Is there any way to drop the spare w/o the tool? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to install a hitch and the spare needs to be dropped. My cruiser came w/o the toolkit and subsequent attempts to acquire one has failed.

The mounted hitch would shift the spare location forward, and I think if I can loosten some stuff up I could maybe do it w/o dropping the spare.

Do you think it would be possible to free it a little by disassembling some of the support brackets? I see one towards the back that might give the tire some room to swing around. Letting the air out of the spare might help as well.

Any toughts?

Later tonight I am going to see if the kit from my friends Taco will drop the spare proper. One of those kits should be a lot easier to find.

Re: Is there any way to drop the spare w/o the too

Sean,

All it is is a keyed type connector, basically a large screw driver could be used as it is only a large slot that needs to be turned. You can loosen it that way and give yourself a little play. I would NOt :slap: loosen the supporting brackets there isn't enough play there for anything (I have totally modified mine for a battery, so I know). The only other option like you said is let some air out (as long as you have an on board compressor or a can of fix-a-flat). Either that or get the Kaymar bumper and the tire carrier.

Yomama

What kind of hitch did you get? If it doesn't fit, return it and get one that will w/o having to relocate your spare. YOu shouldn't have to.

I've got to assume you purchased an aftermarket hitch. I purchased the OEM directly from Toyota. Very simple install. Remove four existing bolts, reverse one (or both - I don't remember) of the tie downs and install the hitch with longer bolts supplied with the hitch. I'm a one banana guy (maybe!) and this was a piece of cake. Spring for the OEM and the OEM wiring harness.

Sean, my tool kit was missing the extension bars to drop the spare. I was able to buy the extension pieces from a Toyota dealer within the last month or so and it took them 2 days to get the parts - 3 extension arms cost me $20. Try asking for the parts individually instead of the whole tool kit. You want the three extension arms (one with a loop in it) and a handle.

I agree with others that you should not have to move the spare to install a hitch. My hitch is not oem but it does not interfere with the spare. Get a different hitch.

Yomama - Thanks I figured that might be the case - that's why I asked here first.

As far as getting another hitch, it is really not necessary as it is only moving the spare forward 1/4 inch if any at all - the directions might just say that for the ease of the installation. The wiring harness I got plugs into existing connectors - really not an issue either. Besides - I need the thing this weekend so time is of the essence.

semlin - I'll talk to my friendly dealer.

Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately the factory hitch is discontinued. The RH side tow loop was the one reversed.
As mentioned above, you should not need to remove the spare it fit a properly designed hitch platform.

Extention bar x2: 09114-28010 or 09114-60060 or 09114-60070
Hook: 09115-60040
T handle: 09116-35041 or 09116-60010

You can mix 'n match any of the above numbers.
09114-28010 $10.43 ea.
09114-60060 $10.40 ea.
09114-60070 $9.92 ea.
09115-60040 $11.69
09116-35041 $8.15
09116-60010 $13.20

Dan

Keep in mind that C-Dan has to post list price. A message or a phone call might get you a better price. There's list price, jobber price, TLCA price, friend price, mudder price, Junk price, and Beo-price.

Try to get the mudder price.  :G

-B-

If all else fails the older style tacomas use the same system, not sure on the year but I know I just totalled out a 91 and raided the bottle jack for a spare. tool it looked identical. so your freinds taco kit should work but check a boneyard for the tools definetly cheaper than the oem.
Dave :beer:

My set was missing and I bought a set from SOR (at about OEM prices)

Cheers, Hugh

Just a final note:

The hitch is a Draw-Tite hitch no 41015
The instructions say to lower the spare to perform the installation - but it is not necessary. The spare is not moved from the stock location.

The hitch is class III and provides for 500lbs tongue weight which I like better then the 350lbs of the Toyota hitch for my application - hauling a 240lbs motorcycle + gas on the hitch. Add the weight of the "motojackrack" hauler - and you are getting pretty close to the Toyota hitch tongue weight rating ...too close for my comfort.

The aftermarket t-one wiring converter/harness was a breeze to install.

The jack and tools from my buddies Taco work fine on the Cruiser and I am currently scouring local wreckers for a Toyota truck - of any sort - toolkit.

It looks like the hitch sticks out further than the stock one does, next time I see a stocker I'll take a closer look.

The OEM hitch platform was 500 lbs tongue, 5000 lbs trailer. It was a "deadweight" only hitch. load leveling devices were not endorsed.

Dan

The only reference to the specs of the stock Toyota hitch I saw was on the SOR website which described it as 350/3500 lbs class II hitch.

That information is incorrect. Trust me :G

I do _completely_. I was simply stating where I got that misinformation. Net groups like this are the _best_ place to get the real scoop.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sean,

To get more scoop go to Valley Industries web site. They mfg the OEM hitch for Toyota. Cdan is right on as usual.

Sean, another plan is to look for an owners manual in the wrecking yard while seeking a tool kit. It contains a useful set of vehicle stats including the towing capacity.

... or you could just buy the manual from a dealer - the owners manuals are dirt cheap.

... as for the tow hitch, I got a FREEBIE here for anyone that wants it. From my 97, OEM, just sitting here not being used since me bumper has one built in. First to come get it can have it.

Sean, another plan is to look for an owners manual in the wrecking yard while seeking a tool kit.  It contains a useful set of vehicle stats including the towing capacity.

RTFM ...got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom