is there a spool available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The March/April 2008 issue of TT has the article from Gary Brandt (pg 36) on how to install a 12 bolt spool in a SF cruiser 3rd member.

spools are REALLY tough in a C clip axle

spools are REALLY tough in a C clip axle

good point. never thought of that. oh well I suppose i will burn another up as i broke my last one.

69 fj 40 , 75 cowel and front clip , 76 tub , lincoln rear , aussie front , soa , 94 350 tbi. ,
sm465/2.28toybox/splitcase . beedlocks on irocks.

I figured the welded rear that he already has meant he was looking for a machined one..

Hmmmm...so the old diff couldn't keep up with the new axles? Difference between 37" and 39" I suppose ;).

I just installed a 12 bolt mini spool in the back of my 40 and like it WAY more than the Aussie that was in it. I ran welded for years but decided that I wanted something that was reversible. I also installed one in a c-clip 40 axle for a customer w/ no issues.

In an off-road only vehicle I will ONLY run a rear spool and a front ratcheting locker (Aussie, Detroit etc.) and in a truck that sees dual duty a selectable locker in the rear is nice but they have their issues as well. I will never run a drop in in the rear again, just to much slop for me.

I just installed a 12 bolt mini spool in the back of my 40 and like it WAY more than the Aussie that was in it. I ran welded for years but decided that I wanted something that was reversible. I also installed one in a c-clip 40 axle for a customer w/ no issues.

In an off-road only vehicle I will ONLY run a rear spool and a front ratcheting locker (Aussie, Detroit etc.) and in a truck that sees dual duty a selectable locker in the rear is nice but they have their issues as well. I will never run a drop in in the rear again, just to much slop for me.

That's a mini spool correct? Not a full spool?

IMHO in a wheeling rig, a selectable rear is the best option.

so it cost you the price of a spool and an ausie to change to something reversible only to have the same thing you had before for free?

Sounds expensive.

I have ran plenty of welded rears and they work great. I dont care for selectable for the rear because if it fails then you are stuck. The only reason I would use a selectable is if i was going to daily drive it. Weld it up and weld the spiders to the carrier and really burn it in.

I have ran plenty of welded rears and they work great. I dont care for selectable for the rear because if it fails then you are stuck. The only reason I would use a selectable is if i was going to daily drive it. Weld it up and weld the spiders to the carrier and really burn it in.

The reason to run selectable in the rear has more to do with turning than anything else. THey are VERY nice in an off road only car.

Welding the spiders to the carrier is not necessary and can cause issues. By simply welding the spiders to themselves you have created a mini spool that is pretty tough..

so it cost you the price of a spool and an ausie to change to something reversible only to have the same thing you had before for free?

Sounds expensive.

I broke a pinion in the diff I had w/ a welded carrier and 5 hours later I decided that C-clip axles and welded carriers suck balls. At that point i put a fine spline diff in a FF housing w/ an aussie that I had on the shelf (shop parts are free to borrow if you own the shop). After running it for a trail ride or two I couldnt stand it so i switched to the mini spool and absolutely love it. No fuss and nothing to worry about.

I broke a pinion in the diff I had w/ a welded carrier and 5 hours later I decided that C-clip axles and welded carriers suck balls. At that point i put a fine spline diff in a FF housing w/ an aussie that I had on the shelf (shop parts are free to borrow if you own the shop). After running it for a trail ride or two I couldnt stand it so i switched to the mini spool and absolutely love it. No fuss and nothing to worry about.

And this is exactly why you weld up a cruiser third a special way.

If you do it properly, there is no reason it has to be tough to fix out on the trail...

The real issue was that my spare third didn't have spider gears in it so I was SOL without swapping carriers in the diffs and "re setting up" (on he trail) the new diff. All this headache would have been solved with a set of spiders but that minor over site pissed me off so i decided to go w/ the mini instead of re-welding.

I still have my welded carrier and may still use it in something but for now I will stick w/ the mini spool.

... so i switched to the mini spool and absolutely love it. No fuss and nothing to worry about.

Have you run this on-road, or only on the trail?

do you have a wright up or pics on this.

You know, if you have a failing aussie or lockright, you can tap a piece of steel in between the inner halves, then use spot welds to hold it in there. instant mini spool..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom