is there a spool available (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

see my previous post, there is a write up in Toyota Trails.

where? i spent an hour or so looking through google and i could not find it.

The March/April 2008 issue of TT has the article from Gary Brandt (pg 36) on installing a 12 bolt mini spool. Don't know if it is online though. I can scan the article Monday at work and e-mail it to you if you want.

Last edited:
The March/April 2008 issue of TT has the article from Gary Brandt (pg 36) on installing a 12 bolt mini spool. Don't know if it is online though. I can scan the article Moday at work and e-mail it to you if you want.

please do . email is souceyjr8@aol.com

here is the article

Attachments

• SILVA001.PDF
    914.1 KB · Views: 245
  • SILVA002.PDF
    416.2 KB · Views: 160
  • SILVA003.PDF
    972.9 KB · Views: 190
last page

Attachments

• SILVA004.PDF
    518.6 KB · Views: 210
You know, if you have a failing aussie or lockright, you can tap a piece of steel in between the inner halves, then use spot welds to hold it in there. instant mini spool..

Has anyone actually done this? Can an lunch box locker hold up to that?

Hi All:

So, you have only driven with a "lunchbox locker" in the rearend for a trail ride or two and now you can condemn them as inferior?

I have had a Lockrite (the Aussie Locker is a clone) in the rear axle of my FJ40 for ~ 7 years now, with out any issues. There are certain things one must do to run a rear auto locker. Like not accelerating around corners! :D Also, simple things like maintaining the exact same air pressure in both tires on the axle. Also, running heavier gear oil (80W140) helps "buffer" the 'locker mechanism.

Regards,

Alan

<snip>

At that point i put a fine spline diff in a FF housing w/ an aussie that I had on the shelf (shop parts are free to borrow if you own the shop). After running it for a trail ride or two I couldnt stand it so i switched to the mini spool and absolutely love it. No fuss and nothing to worry about.

I agree with Michael, I had a lunchbox locker in the back of my truck for a long time, and in my opinion, they suck back there, the slop added to the drivetrain is unacceptable as well as their unlocking quirks. My new rear end is welded and I am much happier. In a truck with an auto they are ok, but I would still rather just have a welded diff. I still run a lockrite in the front, we'll see how much longer it lasts.

Has anyone actually done this? Can an lunch box locker hold up to that?

I have and ran it for a year afterward...

I agree with Michael, I had a lunchbox locker in the back of my truck for a long time, and in my opinion, they suck back there, the slop added to the drivetrain is unacceptable as well as their unlocking quirks. My new rear end is welded and I am much happier. In a truck with an auto they are ok, but I would still rather just have a welded diff. I still run a lockrite in the front, we'll see how much longer it lasts.

Spools are much more predictable. But a locker really does have its place.

Hi All:

So, you have only driven with a "lunchbox locker" in the rearend for a trail ride or two and now you can condemn them as inferior?

I have had a Lockrite (the Aussie Locker is a clone) in the rear axle of my FJ40 for ~ 7 years now, with out any issues. There are certain things one must do to run a rear auto locker. Like not accelerating around corners! :D Also, simple things like maintaining the exact same air pressure in both tires on the axle. Also, running heavier gear oil (80W140) helps "buffer" the 'locker mechanism.

Regards,

Alan

all that sounds like a real pita

all that sounds like a real pita

I've had a lock-rite in the front and rear of my 40 for almost 10 years. I've never run anything but 90 weight oil, and I have never given two s***s about trying to match the air pressure in the tires.

Zero problems.

Take from it what you will.

Other than eating tires I love the spools in my mini.............but it took some getting used to. The first snow we had last year I said to myself"wtf" but the blizzard we had this winter I really never needed 4 wheel drive

You know, if you have a failing aussie or lockright, you can tap a piece of steel in between the inner halves, then use spot welds to hold it in there. instant mini spool..

I was going to pull my aussie and weld in some spiders, but I might give this a try.

Just find some scrap steel to wedge the teeth together where the springs go and weld them to the aussie sides??? Sounds easy enough.

not where the springs go. I'll find my old D60 carrier and take a pic of it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom