Is the X-Treme Hi-Lift worth the price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Enough people have told me I should have Hi-Lift lately, that I think I may finally get one.

The all-cast 60" goes for about $70.

The X-Treme is priced out around $100!

The X-Treme version has some minor additional features, is powder-coated, and looks to be generally more corrosion resistant.

Is it worth another $30?

Is corrosion an issue with the standard version?

I'm a "buy right the first time" kind of guy, but I don't want to be the guy who blows his cash on needless extravagance.

Hayes

P.S. I pledge to never carry my Hi-Lift when making routine trips to the store or grandma's house (there are already plenty of hardcore, equipped 4x4's in the parking lot :D ).

Hayes

well after you use your hi-lift about 2 times it will start rusting... at least mine did, also think about how much you are going to be lifting you truck. If you stay with a OME lift on your 80 a 48" jack is fine; but if you go biger you will need a higher jack... just ask PKP 80 we had to ratchet strap his axels to the frame to get them to lift off the groung cuz of his slee 6" lift

If you jack is really exposed to the elements and the mud, sand, silt and water of the trails, I would be pretty surprised of the powdercoating lasted all that long. I always plan on lubricating the jack as it is used. Even better is to oil/grease the workings up and wrap them in plastic to try to reduce the effects off the trail on it.

Mark...

I would just get the cheaper one, Hayes. Get the 60"If you ever use it, it will rub off the powdercoat, so save your 30 bucks and buy some gas to go to Moab. Just keep it lubed. The one I had stolen off my truck was thoroughly lubed once a month. Made it look like new. Or just leave it off when you are not out wheeling, although you may not be able to lift your truck to change a tire with the factory jack?

Honestly, if you are not going to have it strapped to the rear of your rig all the time I don't see a need for the powder coat option. I keep mine as lubed up as often as I use it and I try to use a dry lube like I use on some of my firearms, they do a great job and don't collect as much grime as oil/grease.

I also keep mine in a jack cover thingy from hilift, but here in Colorado and Utah, the dust is well, crazy!

I would save the 30 bucks and buy a repair field kit or the cover instead.

Just my .02

Rezarf <><

a recent experience with a roof rack makes me want to avoid powdercoating whenever some scrapes and nicks are likely... starts to rust underneath the powder coating...

plus the design is such that it will scrape paint off

not a good combo. Give me something I can spray can in 2 secs...

Otay.

That's where my gut was leading me. Lubing and repainting will give me another outlet for obsessive complusions...
...I've already steel-wooled and painted over the big bumper scrapes I got from dragging my big 80 ass all over Fins 'N' Things last week. How 'bout you Roger?

Hayes

...I've already steel-wooled and painted over the big bumper scrapes I got from dragging my big 80 ass all over Fins 'N' Things last week. How 'bout you Roger?

Hayes

did it today....

I'm pretty sure all the new Hilifts are powdercoated these days, and it scrapes off with use. So does paint. Lube the lift pins and it will work even if a bit corroded. When it gets too bad, replace the pins and springs.

In fact, the powder coating tends to keep the pins from working perfectly, and it rubs off in the pin area after a few lifts. Then it is much better. I like that teflon dry lube for the pins, oil based lubs seem to hold dust in the mechanism.

The best option for keeping it clean is to keep the bar outside and the lifing mechanism inside in a secure spot.

And..I think the all cast jack for $70 is fine.

Last edited:
I have the Xtreme along with three of the regular high lifts - the xtreme is starting to exhibit rust in a few areas ( especially after the dalton highway in AK)
the xtreme still need lubricant right out of the box to operate - the holes are tight where the pins click in and out of - it needs a bang of a hammer to operate - just like every High lift I have ever used ( so no big improvement there)

the xtreme has a couple of extra built in features like - a pin to remove the foot - and a handy new clamp/chain - nice to have but not sure if I will really get to use it - only time will tell if it was worth the extra 30 bucks

I'm going to be the dissenter here: I agree that the powdercoating is crap, but I think the extra $30 is worth it for the seriously improved design of the clamp/spreader/chain portion of the lift.

I also like the zinc-coated handle better than the painted handle. But that alone isn't worth much.

If you look around online, there are a few people offering a replacement for the clamp/clevis at around $30. If you use it more than a couple of times as a come-along, you'll quickly realize that the standard clevis/clamp is crap.

It is really a no brainer. It matches the color of my 40th Anniversary Edition better than any of the other ones.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom