is the sun roof worth the trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a little wile and have a question

I am looking for to a LC, probably a 96/97, Is the sunroof worth the trouble? It seams a nice thing to have at first but seeing all the leaks and troubles it seams I may be better off without one I plan to keep this one a wile, first as a commuter (mall cruiser) later when it is aging it may see some trail use, specially worried about rust, seams one without a sunroof and all that water in the pillars would last lot longer?

Is the sunroof worth it?

Any estimate on what % have that option?

I've never seen one without the sunroof, but in my opinion it is not a desirable feature. If mine had no sunroof, it would be just fine since I never open it anyway. It's just a hole in your roof which will leak in time. When mine leaks, I'll get some sheet metal welded over the hole and painted to match the Cruiser.

IO don't know but I have recently begun to have problems with my sun roof ratteling and it is driving me crazy. I have to run with it open in order to keep it from making noise. I don't know what has loosened or if it is the rubber weather stripping that has hardened or exactly what the cause might be. Has anyone experienced this problem? My cruiser is a 97 with 115K.

Mark

[quote author=Koffer link=board=2;threadid=9296;start=msg81003#msg81003 date=1072585791]
Something like 99% of the US market got it unless ordered without :-\
[/quote]

oh :( then I guess it does not matter i am stuck with it

is there a list somewhere of what was standard and optional for each year? even better what most of them came with, from waht I can see most were "fully loaded" except for lockers

[quote author=raventai link=board=2;threadid=9296;start=msg81058#msg81058 date=1072598000]
is there a list somewhere of what was standard and optional for each year? even better what most of them came with, from waht I can see most were "fully loaded" except for lockers
[/quote]

Ha, you are only fully loaded when you have a compass/altimeter, a center console coolbox and rear AC !!!
I am just kidding. Don't listen to me :whoops:

I personally like my sunroof. I can just slide the blend open and it is nice bright inside the car. Or I open it just a bit and some nice sunshine enters. I think it is perfect for me because I have almost 365 days sunshine. Am I the lucky one ???

Mike

sunny days and the snow melted a bit.....
I opened the sunroof and loved it! There are some problems I hear about, but I *think* they can be fixed with a little work.

I really like my 93 168K sunroof....

I do not know the exact production figures but non-sunroof vehicles do exist. They are extremely rare. I have seen a couple. I even saw one with difflocks (a special order vehicle near the end of production).

Finding a non-sunroof vehicle, especialy one with diff locks would be a crap-shoot. If you want to hold out for such a vehicle, I fear you will never own an 80 series.

hardly ever used the sunroof on my other vehicle.. Don't really plan on using it that much on the LC either.

I don't know, in spite of the incessant leaking I kind of like it. It is a useful diversion for the kids to stick their heads through when you are stuck in a ferry line up. It is a good way to exit the truck if you are stuck above the door sills. It is also a great spot from which to check the tie downs on the roof rack.

Real question is....is it worth the trouble to be rid of the sunroof by filling in or finding a truck without?

:cheers:

No trouble for me at all. Just use it once in a while and treat the seal so it will last. I agree with semlin and Junk on the other stuff. :)

Man, a sunroof is great in the mountains! Sometimes it's the only way you can see a house on the side of the road ::) and a lot of the great mountain scenery can only be viewed through that window.

LT
8)

Hi Rav:

Not sure you're getting a "representative" view here...this board may be more focused on performance than comfort/luxury.

I love the large sunroof, even if it does rattle a bit.

One reason to want one (meaning not cover it with sheet metal) is resale value and options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom