Is the Pre-97 FZJ80 Antenna Assembly (motor/mast/harness) a direct fit into a 97 FZJ80/LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears there were at least two different antenna assemblies, before 97 had the 86300-60050 part, but the 97 model FZJ80 got a new part number 86300-60080 which is no longer available.

What I couldn't find from searching is whether the harness connectors were the same (there was a discussion many years ago but no resolution that I could find) and whether the Pre-97 Antenna Assembly (86300-60050) will just bolt/hook up into a 97 model that came with the 86300-60080 with no modifications.

Found some images:

86300-60050 (Pre-97)

Antenna assembly 86300-60050.jpg

Below is the 86300-60080 (97 and LX450):

Antenna Assembly 86300-60080.jpg

Starting in 97 the FZJ80's antenna went up and down automatically when the vehicle was started/shut-off, like the LX450. IIRC, from previous discussions, the automatic up/down function was not due to the design of the antenna assembly itself, but more of a circuit change in a control box??

There's also been previous discussions about how the plastic line that moved the antenna up and down at some point when from smooth to cogged and that the masts are different (wider) for the LX450 and 97 model FZJ80 compared to the pre-97 antenna mast.

So, does anyone know from experience if a pre-97 complete Antenna Assembly (86300-60050) will bolt/hook up to a 97 model FZJ80 (or LX450) without modifications??

Last edited:
I also need a new antenna, mine is broken halfway up, not sure if the mechanics still work, about to replace the entire audio system. Is it possible just to add an aftermarket and not worry with the stupid mechanical assembly?

The question is referring to the complete assembly with motor. The antenna masts apparently are different pre-97 compared to the 97 models and the LX450.

Last edited:
I also need a new antenna, mine is broken halfway up, not sure if the mechanics still work, about to replace the entire audio system. Is it possible just to add an aftermarket and not worry with the stupid mechanical assembly?

This sounds easy until you consider getting the new coax line back through the fender. Be sure and attach a fish line to the end of the old coax as you remove it. That helps, it still won't be easy. The easiest thing to do is to replace the mast on your existing assembly and call it good, assuming everything else is still OK.

This sounds easy until you consider getting the new coax line back through the fender. Be sure and attach a fish line to the end of the old coax as you remove it. That helps, it still won't be easy. The easiest thing to do is to replace the mast on your existing assembly and call it good, assuming everything else is still OK.
Just go ahead and add “replacing truck antenna” to the list of things in incapable of doing myself.

Just go ahead and add “replacing truck antenna” to the list of things in incapable of doing myself.

It's a PITA, but doable so long as you pre-plan by attaching the fish line as you remove the old unit so it's in place to bring the new coax inside. It does require digging in behind the glovebox some. Once yo get past the 90 degree turn at the inside top rear of the fender, it's cake. Some people go to the extreme of removing the fender, but that's not really needed if you have a little patience,

Good information. Back to the original question, will the Pre-97 FZJ80 antenna assembly (motor/mast) bolt in and hook up to a 97 model without any modifications?

Last edited:
Good information. Back to the original question, will the Pre-97 FZJ80 antenna assembly (motor/mast) botl in and hook up to a 97 model without any modifications?
Did you see this thread? Maybe the 100 antenna is what you need. Personally, I prefer my '94 manual style of antenna control. Sounds like this 100 owner has the same opinion.

My 1997 LX has TWO connectors to the antenna motor assembly. Ive seen many assemblies with just one. Im not sure if the 1997 LC and LX are the same.
My antenna motor didnt work so I removed it and replaced it with the OEM non-motorized antenna. Eventually I want to get back to the motorized antenna.
It appears that the LX connector A9 connects to the auto antenna relay which is part of the motor assembly (anyone agree?) and that A10 is just power to the motor from the auto antenna ECU. Im guessing that the auto antenna relay is a position sensor.

I'm guessing is that if you install a Pre-97 Antenna assembly into
a 97 80 series or LX450, that the antenna mast will go up/down by pushing the buttons but you'll lose the automatic up/down feature. Can anyone confirm this?

have any of the 97 owners installed the manual antenna and been happy with it?

have any of the 97 owners installed the manual antenna and been happy with it?

Im happy with mine. The reception is good. The green wire ground is critical. I routed the new coax through an existing hole in the firewall using a thin fiberglass rod (for fishing walls). I just cut off and abandoned the original coax. As part of my restoration I would like to eventually get back to the motorized version.

Im happy with mine. The reception is good. The green wire ground is critical. I routed the new coax through an existing hole in the firewall using a thin fiberglass rod (for fishing walls). I just cut off and abandoned the original coax. As part of my restoration I would like to eventually get back to the motorized version.
Motorized version? The pre-'97 LC OEM antennas were also motorized. (at least my '94 was) They just didn't pop up automatically when the radio was turned on. Their status was controlled by the up-down switches. That's what I meant when I called them manual.

I'm guessing is that if you install a Pre-97 Antenna assembly into
a 97 80 series or LX450, that the antenna mast will go up/down by pushing the buttons but you'll lose the automatic up/down feature. Can anyone confirm this?
I only have the 97 LX EWD. The Up/Down buttons connect to the auto antenna ECU. If the Pre 96/97 trucks dont have the auto ECU then the Pre 96/97 antenna motor must connect differently to the Up/Down buttons. An earlier EWD could shed some light on this.

Motorized version? The pre-'97 LC OEM antennas were also motorized. (at least my '94 was) They just didn't pop up automatically when the radio was turned on. Their status was controlled by the up-down switches. That's what I meant when I called them manual.
I was referring to the question that listed the part number 8630060030 which is the non-motor antenna. I see the confusion. I should have said Auto version. I guess the correct names would be non-motorized, manual and auto. Agree?

I was referring to the question that listed the part number 8630060030 which is the non-motor antenna. I see the confusion. I should have said Auto version. I guess the correct names would be non-motorized, manual and auto. Agree?
I didn't know there was a non-motorized version - learn something new everyday! I think what the OP is trying for is a replacement (which apparently is unavailable) for his '97 motorized and auto pop up & down version. I saw other thread that I previously mentioned and thought maybe the 100 antenna would work since it sounds functionally the same. But you know there'll be a difference:rolleyes:

@Kernal - The reason I'd prefer the non auto pop up & down antenna is that several yrs back, I replaced my OEM head unit with an Eclipse 2 din GPS, CD, DVD, radio and since the radio reception in my rural location is so poor, the radio is the least used input. I damaged the antenna mast in the 1st year or so going through brush because I wasn't used to being able to lower it for protection. So I leave the antenna down and don't have to remember to lower it or worry about a module popping it up at the wrong time. It would also seem to me that the auto pop up version would wear the motor out prematurely, but that's definitely OCD.....;)

Thanks for the feedback. I had the same thoughts, I don't use the antenna much
in either of my 80's. The 96 goes up and down only when the buttons are pushed and it still works fine at 360,000 miles.

The 97, with the auto up/down antenna, had a new mast before I purchased it a couple of years ago, but the antenna never went up/down and the motor may have stopped working. I used to hear it grind every time I started and shut down the vehicle now I don't hear much so it's likely the motor is dying/dead at 230,000 miles.

My main thought was to replace the 97 antenna assembly (motor/mast)
with the early version, but wasn't sure if it would work/hook-up correctly
as it only has one connector, the 97 has two. The second connector
apparently is for the auto up-down function so if it just hangs there
I'm hoping the buttons will still move the Pre-97 antenna up and down normally??

86300-60080 does anyone have a new stashed I can buy?

If no, I’m also curious whether I can simply swap out with 86300-30050 per Kernal. I don’t care for the auto up feature honestly. I just want an oem one that works when buttons are pressed.
Thx.

Search and see post #25. THIS is the way to do it.
Loud gear grinding noise after power antenna lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom