Is the OME FZJ80 audio Amplifier worth keeping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok well What i leveraged was high level inputs and you can trigger the power off of the power antenna or just switched acc..

Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 is what I installed. However just for quality, i put in better speakers etc and it sounded pretty good with the stock headunit, however that same amp/speaker combo really woke up with an aftermarket headunit. the beauty of that amp that i used, is that once i upgraded headunit it was just RCA connections in place of the massive wiring harness i created to push the speakers without chopping up the toyota harness.

You can probably do high level, but I believe the Rockford option link I last copied may be a better option.

The factory cruiser deck has no output power on its own, so need for a filter. It’s just a low level signal output in wire form, not RCA.

I like the OG look and have a massive CD collection.

Not factory but still has a better look, in my opinion, than the big touch screens for these trucks. Lighting can be tuned to match the factory green. Along with ipod, blue tooth, pandora and USB inputs it still has a CD player.

Alpine CDE-W265BT. Don't see many new for sale anymore but can pick them up on ebay.

Head Unit.jpg

You can probably do high level, but I believe the Rockford option link I last copied may be a better option.

The factory cruiser deck has no output power on its own, so need for a filter. It’s just a low level signal output in wire form, not RCA.

Yeah the adapters are the way to go on the low level lines coming out of the factory head unit. Splice them on before the factory amp. The problem with high level inputs on the factory system is you either have to be down stream of the factory amp, which we all pretty much agree needs to go (and if your adding an aftermarket amp is silly to keep), or you'd end up turning up the gains on your aftermarket amp so much to get to a decent volume level (because a low level signal into the high level inputs on your amp won't produce the right sound) you'll start to introduce distortion.

Not factory but still has a better look, in my opinion, than the big touch screens for these trucks. Lighting can be tuned to match the factory green. Along with ipod, blue tooth, pandora and USB inputs it still has a CD player.

Alpine CDE-W265BT. Don't see many new for sale anymore but can pick them up on ebay.

View attachment 2569727
You are exactly right man. Some of the screens and bezels just don’t look right. What you have going on there is real clean looking!

When I started re-doing the audio in my 96 to replace the circa 2002 speakers, amp and head unit that were installed by a PO. I went with a Sony XMS400D Compact 4-channel car amplifier — 45 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XMS400D/Sony-XMS400D.html?omnews=15764149 Class D amp for the door speakers. I tied it into the factory harness at the amplifier connector and its small enough. I was able to wedge it up underneath the dash with a few pieces of foam to keep it from rattling. I like having it though the OE wiring so I don't have any messy wires snaking all through the cab looking to get pinched or damaged. The PO also had built a "custom" center console with a sub in the bottom. I used a Kicker 46CXA400.1T CX Series mono subwoofer amplifier — 400 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm at Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CX41T/Kicker-46CXA400-1T.html?omnews=15764149 to power just the sub.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm sure a true audiophile would have other things to say, but it doesn't pop, it doesn't hiss, and there aren't random cables snaking around under the carpet with the exception of the amp to the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom