Is my tcase/trans too hot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently put a 4 speed transmission inplace of a 3 speed on a 71 fj40. I rebuilt my 3 speed transfer case at this time. Went for a 30 mile ride yesterday, everything seemed fine, maybe a little more whine than before. No grinding etc, but the trans and tcase were extremely hot when I got back. I don't have anything to compare to since I never checked that before. I can keep my hand on it for maybe a second or two before I have to take it off of either. Is this normal?
thanks
IDoc

Do you have the correct oil and oil level in your trans and transfer case?

If your gearbox is getting hot, then you should really make sure that you're using GL4 gear oil in there.

~John

i would think you should be able to hold your hand on it longer than that... but to be honest ive never checked any of mine. I know in the rain if you are driving for a while your rear diff will usually be dry when every thing else is dripping. but it takes a while to get that warm, ive seen it on multiple trucks.

how close does your exhaust run next to the transmission/transfer case, could that be it?

Thats just it, I have never had the need to check it before and now I am wondering if I have something wrong... I jacked the rear end up and spun the driveshaft...smooth as butter, easy to turn, and no grinding. The exhaust does run right next to the transmission, so that could explain that, and I guess that heat could be transfered to the tcase.....I think I am going to run it for a while and see what happens if I pull all that crap apart again it is going to be because something is broke.

Mine gets quite hot as well... I can only hold my hand to it for a few seconds. Not sure about after only 30 miles but I still think it is normal. 140F can burn skin and I have no worries about my tranny/xfer running at 140 degrees. Don't forget it is directly attached to your 180 degree engine and is full of fluid that will retain heat. For reference an auto tranny normal temp is in the 175F area but they run hotter due to the torque converter. Run it for a couple hundred miles and change the fluid... if it is still clean and there is no metal fill her up and run it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom