Is my Steering Damper toast? 🥪 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im in the middle of doing the TRE on my FJ62 and noticed that there is little to no resistance on my steering damper...
Is this normal? Does it only soften/dampen under load? Is it time for a new one?

Thanks for advance

Solution
It's toast. It should have resistance in both directions. Do your self a favor and don't get a big ass replacement steering stabilizer. Most are too stiff and the steering won't automatically return to center after a turn. The original skinny Toyota stabilizer was the best. It's action was perfectly matched to the dynamics of the steering gear.
That baby is done for. Time for a new one.

It's toast. It should have resistance in both directions. Do your self a favor and don't get a big ass replacement steering stabilizer. Most are too stiff and the steering won't automatically return to center after a turn. The original skinny Toyota stabilizer was the best. It's action was perfectly matched to the dynamics of the steering gear.

Solution
Yea, that’s what I’ve been reading.
They are also MUCH cheaper too!

Thanks for the advice 👍

Anyone have a part number for the OEM stabilizer?

As a reference point, I installed the OME Steering Stabilizer 6 months ago. (OMESD24, $95)

No fancy lift, no big wheels, it works wonderfully, returns to center every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom