Is it standard to replace head bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine shop I went to said to me , "do you want a new engine or what?" replace everything you can, as new as possible. He specializes in v8 ford racing engines.

@cruisermatt pointed that out not me :D

one good reason to replace a head bolt with a toyota genuine parts one is if there corroded badly or at all pitting on the smooth upper part above the threads / below the hex head portion ..

- that leaves and begs the question ?

- do u replace as a entire set for good measure and sound mind bod and soul u can sleep at night value added ?

- me .......

- hell yes ill replace as a whole set if only one requires it , but that's just me .....

- otherwise , the head bolts are indeed re-useable per the F and 2F and 3F and 3FE FSM's

LOL whoops! Appologies to @cruisermatt !

Engine shop I went to said to me , "do you want a new engine or what?" replace everything you can, as new as possible. He specializes in v8 ford racing engines.
Ford guys are just the worst. :lol:

New head bolts for an F.5 are NLA so I've got no choice but to re-use.
Unless someone knows a source?

New head bolts for an F.5 are NLA so I've got no choice but to re-use.
Unless someone knows a source?
surely there is an equivalent, maybe arp? I normally hang in the diesel section. Personally in the past I probably would just reuse as I am a tight ass. But now I think, well how many times do I want to rebuild engines max 6x in my life, so the occasion merits new.

No prisoners, eliminate any possible failure point. We like doing this stuff because it is one of the few realms we can control and nail it.

The Head Bolts for the 1.5F are different (a little longer) from F and 2F head bolts. Only used one year. There is no equivalent (I've looked) and long unobtanium new. If the OP has a 1.5F, no choice but to reuse head bolts and as many have said, they're meant to be reused.

The Head Bolts for the 1.5F are different (a little longer) from F and 2F head bolts. Only used one year. There is no equivalent (I've looked) and long unobtanium new. If the OP has a 1.5F, no choice but to reuse head bolts and as many have said, they're meant to be reused.
that's convincing! Must admit though I have to trim some shorter arp bolts for my 2h, happy with that myself.

that's convincing! Must admit though I have to trim some shorter arp bolts for my 2h, happy with that myself.

Well, there may be some ARPs that could be made to work, with a little machining, but I've never looked into that. I was able to find, after quite a while looking, a good used set as a back up for my '74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom