Is it safe to drive long distances without a front sway bar? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to remove the front sway bar and bracket due to the rusty bracket syndrome. I haven't had a chance to find a shop yet to weld a new bracket on to reattach the sway bar so I have been driving around town without it. This is a 2000 LC with a good bit or rust underneath.

I was thinking about heading a couple hours down the bayou this weekend. Does this sound like a safe idea for the cruiser or should I just go with my other vehicle?

I had to remove the front sway bar and bracket due to the rusty bracket syndrome. I haven't had a chance to find a shop yet to weld a new bracket on to reattach the sway bar so I have been driving around town without it. This is a 2000 LC with a good bit or rust underneath.

I was thinking about heading a couple hours down the bayou this weekend. Does this sound like a safe idea for the cruiser or should I just go with my other vehicle?

You haven't removed them yet? I don't think anyone on this forum has a sway bar on the front of their rig. Hell, I haven't had a sway bar on my 4Runner on the front or rear for years now.

You haven't removed them yet? I don't think anyone on this forum has a sway bar on the front of their rig. Hell, I haven't had a sway bar on my 4Runner on the front or rear for years now.

Maybe serious wheelers don't , but I still have mine. I'm kinda scared to remove it since I spend a lot of time on highways with the family on the way to wheeling

I run one on the front of my rig but it's probably not as hardcore as your 4runner

Maybe serious wheelers don't , but I still have mine. I'm kinda scared to remove it since I spend a lot of time on highways with the family on the way to wheeling
It'll wallow around a bit more. I would leave it connected

I run one on the front of my rig but it's probably not as hardcore as your 4runner
It'll wallow around a bit more. I would leave it connected

It's been a few years since i've done anything that's considered "serious" but I drive my 4Runner regularly on the freeway w/ leaf sprung suspension and it's got quite the lean. If i actually take the outer lane on an intersection I can lift a wheel off the ground. 🥳

Personally, i'd keep the rear on and remove the front. 80s have a lot more width than a 1st gen 4Runner. The stability is just there.

You’ll probably be fine for now. I removed my front swaybar because the AC drip rotted the PS frame bracket and similar to you, I didn’t have time to fix it immediately. Truck will wallow noticeably more without it, as nukegoat noted. I intend to put mine back on, but Wheelers OR bumpstops did help reduce some of the wallowing.

@Swampdawg1 I replaced two of the 4 front bumpstops with Wheeler’s Off-Road bumpstops. They’re longer than stock bumpstops and are progressive, so provide some stability if the swaybar is off.

I'm sorta dumb.
Bet you can make some good boudin tho

I drove my old rusty 2000 LC for 18 months without a front swaybar and I had no issues on pavement.

You'll be totally fine. It will float and lean a bit more on turns, but just be cognizant and don't cook into something too fast - not like these are nimble trucks anyway. I did 2.5 years or so sans front sway-bar, no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom