Is it possible to replace a 5 speed with an old 4 speed? I have reasons. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a search, could not find what I was looking for. I have, in my shop right now, a Troopy with a bad 5 speed in it. The owner is a local guy who cannot hope to afford the cost of rebuilding/replacing the 5 speed. The truck has a 1HZ engine and is used mostly on dirt roads, and even the paved roads here do not support speeds much higher than 100 kph.
I have a number of surplus 4 speeds (but no 5 speeds) as well as transfer cases to match, if I need one. I would be willing to consider donating one to him (or selling it to him cheaply) just to get his truck out of the shop and back on the road. However I'm not willing to put the time into tearing it all apart just to find out there's no way to make it work.
Anybody?

Hello,

Some 70 Series had the four-speed H41 transmission. Manuals also mention the R141 transmission, but I am not sure whether it is a four-speed or not.

If you can source an H41, you can use it in your Troopy.

Juan

The R141 is a 4sp aluminum case transmission introduced in 1990 for pz/hz engines. Canada got these for their mine trucks 1990-1994.
I have seen h41 4speeds (cast iron case) with 21 spline input for 3b engines but those would be several inches longer than a hz input. Late model h41’s could swap inputs hz for the 3b.

A spacer could be made if those 4 speeds are 3b. Need a little more information.

Did a search, could not find what I was looking for. I have, in my shop right now, a Troopy with a bad 5 speed in it. The owner is a local guy who cannot hope to afford the cost of rebuilding/replacing the 5 speed. The truck has a 1HZ engine and is used mostly on dirt roads, and even the paved roads here do not support speeds much higher than 100 kph.
I have a number of surplus 4 speeds (but no 5 speeds) as well as transfer cases to match, if I need one. I would be willing to consider donating one to him (or selling it to him cheaply) just to get his truck out of the shop and back on the road. However I'm not willing to put the time into tearing it all apart just to find out there's no way to make it work.
Anybody?
Edit-

Actually nah not worth the pain.

The old gearboxes have a different length, means, you would need to change something on the cardans as well. I don't know if it's just as easy as flipping the FWD and RWD cardan to compensate.

Okay, finally got a chance to compare to the two. Short answer is "no" not doable. Longer answer is "yes, but I'd need a different bell housing that would fit between one of the old cast iron 4 speeds I have and the 1HZ engine. The 4 speed is a little under 10 inches long, the 5 speed is close to 19" between the bell housing and the transfer case. The transfer case on the 4 speed would be about 9 inches farther forward. Shift levers would also both be about 9-10 inches forward. Naturally, both driveshafts would have to be modified." This 5 speed speed is an absolute mess inside, (broken synchro, stuck in 5th gear, shift fork has the tabs broken off of it), but we're going to have to tell the owner that he's just going to have to find another one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom