Is Getting 1HD Parts in the US Viable/Convenient? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From what I understand it used to be easier to get 1HD parts through dealerships but I heard they have cracked down on that. So what's the situation with trying to get parts for 1HD engines in the US nowadays? Do you basically have to import everything?

@Onur is a very helpful and viable source of info as well as parts.

1HD parts are not hard to find and its often cheaper to import them than paying a dealership to acquire it for you (many won't even bother doing it anyway).

Partssouq, Amayama, Megazip, and so on are great shops. Dave @ Japan4x4 is also an invaluable resource.

I have been getting parts from the UAE, Australia, Canada and Great Britain without issue for 3 years now. you just have to have a good maintenance plan and order things ahead of time

From what I understand it used to be easier to get 1HD parts through dealerships but I heard they have cracked down on that. So what's the situation with trying to get parts for 1HD engines in the US nowadays? Do you basically have to import everything?
It depends on which parts. Probably the best advice is to buy in bulk when cheap and get access to a parts diagram to accurately identify the parts. And keep in mind many parts are going out of production as most 80 series are 25 years old. Its time to stock up.

Last edited:
1HD parts are not hard to find and its often cheaper to import them than paying a dealership to acquire it for you (many won't even bother doing it anyway).

Partssouq, Amayama, Megazip, and so on are great shops. Dave @ Japan4x4 is also an invaluable resource.

I have been getting parts from the UAE, Australia, Canada and Great Britain without issue for 3 years now. you just have to have a good maintenance plan and order things ahead of time

Yes but what about when you have a breakdown? There are plenty of parts on an engine that are not necessarily 'maintenance items' but we know they will still wear out every so often (water pumps, PS pumps, various gaskets/hoses etc.). Do you just keep spares of all this stuff on-hand at all times?

Yes but what about when you have a breakdown? There are plenty of parts on an engine that are not necessarily 'maintenance items' but we know they will still wear out every so often (water pumps, PS pumps, various gaskets/hoses etc.). Do you just keep spares of all this stuff on-hand at all times?
Well, it’s not like those items breakdown all the time but to answer your question, yes, I have spares for items I know I’ll probably need in the future. The HZs are available in Canada (mining trucks) so if you must, you can source components there as well.

Yes, the water pump is a maintenance item i do with the Timing belt ( every 150,000k), the power steering rebuild kit is Available from wits end, belts and hoses are available online in a kit.

Parts rarely fail on the spot and give you a good deal of warning before they go. But keeping a stash of hoses belts gaskets seals water pumps at home is not expensive.

In today's world most don't even go to the store to buy toothpaste, they have it shipped to their house. With that in mind does it really matter where its coming form as long as it gets there in a reasonable time? I buy all my parts from the UAE, even for my domestic toyotas because it is often cheaper and quicker then going through dealerships. I get parts shipped from the UAE as fast as amazon. even if dealerships could get it, they will have to have it shipped to them from some warehouse anyway, no one will stock 1HD parts like that.

Yes but what about when you have a breakdown?

Being in the Landcruiser world since 2003, it's been a looooong time since I understood that in the event of a break down, I need a B plan and even a C plan to get around ;).

Just need to hope it not happen into the wild.

Last edited:
Use your electronic parts catalog or toyoDIY.com to identify the part number you're looking for. Then search that number on toyotapartsdeal.com or another US-based online parts seller to see if the part is available in the US. It's true that starting a few years ago Toyota prohibited US dealers from selling diesel parts and no longer maintains a diesel parts inventory in the US. However, many 1HD-T and HDJ parts are used in other Toyota vehicles that are or were sold in the US and are therefore available here. If the part you're looking for isn't available in the US, search for it on partsouq.com to see if it's available internationally. If it hasn't been delisted by Toyota and is available outside the US, send an order to Dave Stedman at Japan4x4 (stedman@japan4x4.com). His price might be higher than partsouq.com, but the part will always be Toyota OEM from the factory in Toyota City, and he always double-checks your part number to confirm it's right for your vehicle. Finally, even if a part has been delisted by Toyota and appears not to be available internationally, it's worth emailing Dave. He's been able in a few cases to special-order a part directly with the factory that appeared to be unavailable anywhere.

I was under the impression you cant access it from the USA without a VPN
This online parts catalog may be more useful than toyoDIY.com, as it provides diagrams as well as part numbers:

This online parts catalog may be more useful than toyoDIY.com, as it provides diagrams as well as part numbers:
It forgets to mention the 7* series which is the biggest section in the landcruiser family. No HJ4* in the list . And the rest seem to be JDM models only. How many FJ61's do we see on MUD?
The toyo has the cross reference section where you can use it to find other Toyotas that used the same part, it also has the diagrams if you are a logged in member. Better than nothing I suppose but its incomplete

In today's world most don't even go to the store to buy toothpaste, they have it shipped to their house. With that in mind does it really matter where its coming form as long as it gets there in a reasonable time? I buy all my parts from the UAE, even for my domestic toyotas because it is often cheaper and quicker then going through dealerships. I get parts shipped from the UAE as fast as amazon. even if dealerships could get it, they will have to have it shipped to them from some warehouse anyway, no one will stock 1HD parts like that.

Hello,

As long as the parts you receive are OEM, made by either Toyota or Denso, the supplier is rather irrelevant.

For 70 Series and non-North American parts, a form is required. Onur / @Onur has explained the procedure time and again.

Sometimes the local Toyota dealership wants all your money and your first born for a part. In that case, an alternative supplier will do.

Having multiple parts suppliers is a significant part of Land Cruiser ownership.

Juan

I live in Australia, where diesel 80 series landcruisers (and other rigs) were common and the local dealers handle parts for them all the time. Even so, of the hundreds of new parts I've ordered, I've imported nearly all of them from overseas, specifically partsouq. Why? Not only is partsouq almost always dramatically cheaper, I've had packages from them arrive within 3 days, delivered to my door. Everything has always arrived within a week. I've done this dozens of times. This may not sound impressive by US postal standards, but I'll point out that it'd take about 3 days on average to post something to my neighbour here. If I walk into the local dealer, and they need to request parts from the warehouse in the same city (which they always do, since they're a relatively small dealer), they only get parts shipped in on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I'm waiting 3-4 days often from them anyway. That's once I deal with a day's round trip for the email order, or go to the hassle of driving in there, then drive in there to pick them up once they do arrive. Simply put, I get parts quicker and easier from overseas than locally. And much, much cheaper.

Now, partsouq is exceptional. If you have to go amayama, be aware that the average delivery time from them is around 1 month from what I've seen. Also, if you're looking at a part on amayama that isn't in stock at partsouq, there's a chance it's actually NLA and amayama will only find out about it after you place your order. Not always, but sometimes this happens. My basic parts ordering strategy goes: partsouq, amayama, megazip, dealer, in that order.

The only time I go local is for large parts where shipping blows out. Even then, it's often cheaper to pay the shipping cost. I'm getting a new rear prop shaft for my 80. Cost from partsouq? $599, plus $200 for delivery. Cost from the dealer? Over $2k. I'll pay the delivery charge, and buy a few other large parts at the same time because then the extra shipping weight/bulk is pretty much free.

Last edited:
I just tried to order a bolt, 91619-61245 to be precise, which is the lower bolt on the starter in my HDJ81. My local dealer, who is always been a friend to the cruiser heads in our area, pulled it up and his computer spat back “land cruiser specific, not ordereable”. (Not an exact quote.) Both of us said WTF?! So I grabbed the vin off a friend’s 2000 Camry, which uses this bolt on the bell housing, and walked him through the diagrams to it. Guess what, computer says the same thing. So, you can’t order Camry parts in Canada, if they also fit an LC?

My pet theory is that the 2-3 Toyota dealers in Canada who have a special exclusive arrangement with Mr. T to sell brand new 70 series trucks, converted for mine use, must have written a nasty gram to Toyota due to other dealers selling parts to their customers without the heinous markup they normally enjoy. So someone in Toyota said “make that stop”, an order which was implemented with a simple database query for parts used on LCs without thought to how many parts, like my bolt, which are used throughout the Toyota lineup and over decades.

I assume this situation will quickly be resolved for the poor Camry owners, but I’m concerned that it will be permanent for actual LC parts that are not used on anything sold in Canada.

Does anyone know anything about this? Go try to order something, for sun…

A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom