Ironman Foam Cell Pro install question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigBlueTLC

Follow me on Instagram: Landcruiser_Bolton
Threads
I am getting my foam cell pros installed here in the states tomorrow morning. I’ve read a couple posts about switching the springs opposite the labels since it is RHD in Australia. Can anyone confirm this? I want to make sure and provide the right instruction to installer. Thanks!

I’d suggest going to Iron Man 4x4 website, and getting on their “chat”.
You’ll most likely receive a quick, accurate answer directly from the US distributor.

i put them on the side they were labeled. driver side goes on the heavier side according to their site. the driver side is the heavier side regardless if LHD or RHD.
this is true for rear springs and Torsion bars. TBs are labeled left and right. they shouldn't be switched either. they are pre marked for the proper index.
basically just do it as marked.
mine were uneven at first and i thought maybe i should switch them but they eventually settled evenly.
fwiw i can't perceive a difference in the springs themselves in terms if height or thickness
20200409_194501-01.jpeg
20200409_194646-01.jpeg

@Brandon Ryder What are thoughts on the install and suspension so far?
install is straight forward.
the ride initially was stiff but smoothed out considerably over the first couple hundred miles. the wife and i agree the ride is almost as good as stock on the road. a bit firmer. the wife said she forgot the lift was on it so the ride is good.
off road it has significantly improved. it seems to soak up the bumps much better even at low speeds. however i had bilsteins beforehand and never felt stock Toyota shocks. i am impressed and pleased with the shocks. I've never been in a truck with a high dollar suspension so i can't compare, but I'm happy so far. only been a few weeks.

Thank you! Super helpful. Just dropped it off.

i put them on the side they were labeled. driver side goes on the heavier side according to their site. the driver side is the heavier side regardless if LHD or RHD.
this is true for rear springs and Torsion bars. TBs are labeled left and right. they shouldn't be switched either. they are pre marked for the proper index.
mine were uneven at first and i thought maybe i should switch them but they eventually settled evenly.
fwiw i can't perceive a difference in the springs themselves in terms if height or thicknessView attachment 2289280View attachment 2289279

fwiw i can't perceive a difference in the springs themselves in terms if height or thicknessView attachment 2289280View attachment 2289279
Which spring rate did you get? TOY13B or TOY13C

Which spring rate did you get? TOY13B or TOY13C
13B I believe. you can read it in one of the pictures above. i think they rate it 0-440 lbs. at the time i ordered i didn't know they had a higher rated one on sale. i also still have the stock rear bumper for now. i could use a little more weight in the rear imo. the springs gave me almost 3" of lift. more than i bargained for. maybe my old ones were sagging. idk.

13B I believe. you can read it in one of the pictures above. i think they rate it 0-440 lbs. at the time i ordered i didn't know they had a higher rated one on sale. i also still have the stock rear bumper for now. i could use a little more weight in the rear imo. the springs gave me almost 3" of lift. more than i bargained for. maybe my old ones were sagging. idk.
Thanks I tried to zoom in on the coil to check but it was a little blurry. I asked because you mentioned a firm ride, and my install of 13B didn't feel firm- fairly plush in retrospect. But- I have BIOR bumper and tire carrier, drawers and Slee under-armor. I have considered the 13C as an additional upgrade after a few of years of the 13B.

These springs fit the 80 series as well- and those are noted as 3" for that application. The actual result in the 100 application starts out a little over 2.5" but will settle down a little after a few months- especially if you have some weight in the back. Anyway - thanks for clarifying which ones.

Alright... got the 100 back tonight. I had all the work done at H&H in Charlotte and had a great experience with Dean. He is a land cruiser fanatic and has tons of experience building/fixing/owning/selling them. I highly recommend that shop.

Keep in mind I changed a lot of components:

Before
18 year old, 147k miles, original suspension
The original suspension was soft and road like an old Caddy, shocks absorbed but didn't rebound, felt very soft, wheel vibrated occasionally on the highway.

After
2" Ironman Foam Cell Pro Suspension kit - shocks, springs, torsion bars, control arm reinforcement (holes were too small and had to be drilled)
Trail Tailor diff drop
Freedom Offroad Upper Control Arms
Cruiser Teq Tie Rod Ends Kit
Aligned to factory specs

First impressions - When they pulled my 100 around it looked tall. The guys at the shop thought it looked like a 3-4 inch lift, it was much taller than I expected especially after I had seen pictures of others who put on this lift. The ride was stiff but not harsh, absorbed and rebounded great as I hit every bump/rut/dip I could. Taking turns was great with minimal body lean. Steering wheel was super smooth at highway speeds and did not vibrate, felt like a whole new car. I am a fan but time will tell once everything settles and I get some more seat time on and offroad. I will post before and after pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

it will soften up as you drive it. hit some dirt trails to really quicken the break in process. i wouldn't align right away. its going to settle a bit. let it settle then readjust as necessary or realign

Alright... got the 100 back tonight. I had all the work done at H&H in Charlotte and had a great experience with Dean. He is a land cruiser fanatic and has tons of experience building/fixing/owning/selling them. I highly recommend that shop.

Before
The original suspension was soft and road like an old Caddy, shocks absorbed but didn't rebound, felt very soft, wheel vibrated occasionally on the highway.

After
2" Ironman Foam Cell Pro Suspension kit - shocks, springs, torsion bars, control arm reinforcement (holes were too small and had to be drilled)
Trail Tailor diff drop
Aligned to factory specs

First impressions - When they pulled my 100 around it looked tall. The guys at the shop thought it looked like a 3-4 inch lift, it was much taller than I expected especially after I had seen pictures of others who put on this lift. The ride was stiff but not harsh, absorbed and rebounded great as I hit every bump/rut/dip I could. Taking turns was great with minimal body lean. Steering wheel was super smooth at highway speeds and did not vibrate, felt like a whole new car. I am a fan but time will tell once everything settles and I get some more seat time on and offroad. I will post before and after pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really leaning towards going with this kit for my 06 LC with 185K miles on it. Did Dean give you any feedback on how well the Freedom Offroad upper control arms fit? I believe they're relatively new to Land Cruisers, but popular with the Tacoma and Tundra crowd. The price is very attractive.

He did not mention anything about the fitment. I don't think he had heard of them... I was ready to order the Dobinson UCAs, found a deal on the nitros and ordered, then canceled once I saw a thread pop up on the freedom UCAs. Tough to beat the price and two day free shipping from amazon.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really leaning towards going with this kit for my 06 LC with 185K miles on it. Did Dean give you any feedback on how well the Freedom Offroad upper control arms fit? I believe they're relatively new to Land Cruisers, but popular with the Tacoma and Tundra crowd. The price is very attractive.

Before

After
Trail Tailor diff drop
Aligned to factory specs

thanks for all the information and your first impression. I’m really close to pulling the trigger on this exact same setup.

Would you mind posting some pics of your rig with the lift?

Pulled the trigger on the FCP last month, installing during a week off in May. Absolutely love the kit so far

See before and after pictures:

View attachment 2290839

Definitely harder for the wife to get into the 100. Good excuse to buy some sliders...

Wow that's quite the change. I like it. I'm going to have to place my order today since it's the last day of their sale.

BTW, Metal-Tech has 10% off with free shipping on raw OPOR sliders. I just ordered at set this morning.

I was really surpised by the price point on the Freedom Offroad UCAs, so I called to ask some questions. Its a proprietary ball joint...had to correct my original post as the first guy made it sound like I wouldnt be able to easily get replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom