Invest in new paint for FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a ‘96 that is suffering from the typical clear coat issues. The vehicle is stock and has never been repainted and is two toned (emerald green with grey). The hood, roof, and driver side fenders are the worst areas.

I have dealt with most of the mechanical issues but it does have a little over 365k miles.

Not planning to sell it but I am concerned about rust if I don’t deal with the paint at some point. I am on the west coast so luckily there is limited rust at the moment.

I was quoted $5k (likely more now) a couple of years ago by a local shop to redo the hood, roof, driver side, and rear door. I know this shop has a good rep for quality work. I would also have them remove the factory roof rack.

Doing the paint myself isn’t an option due to limited time and lack of experience in doing quality paint work.

If it was your rig, would you have it repainted? Or leave the current patina as is?

See attached pictures. Keep in mind the paint is covered in a bit of road grime from a snowy weekend trip to the other side of the state.

1AD81B76-C2AC-451B-A0B4-BFFA034086E6.jpeg

EF99B6FB-AAFC-4017-998B-8C65F9EBDC2E.jpeg

72423981-127C-4091-9D2F-0C340812E1EC.jpeg

30E3FC6D-4CAB-475D-9A95-48F70670848E.jpeg

1C2A43A1-D34B-45A2-BBFD-76517C617808.jpeg

I think it's worth doing if you have the money and you'd rather have the results than the money. That may sound like a snarky answer, but I really don't intend it that way. I think rigs like yours which are factory looking will continue to climb in value, so I would keep it the original color if it were me. That color combo is also really nice, in my opinion, and not that common. I would advise against only painting part of the truck. I'd say go the full boat and paint the whole thing - well - or not at all. That's my opinion. And I would expect it to cost $8K-$10K in SoCal for the quality I'd be looking for. Also, I would not paint it unless I was going to keep it for a while and enjoy that new paint job. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Depends how you use it. If you run it on trails I would keep as is. Many here paint rigs and are then hesitant to drive it to the mall.

I think it's worth doing if you have the money and you'd rather have the results than the money. That may sound like a snarky answer, but I really don't intend it that way. I think rigs like yours which are factory looking will continue to climb in value, so I would keep it the original color if it were me. That color combo is also really nice, in my opinion, and not that common. I would advise against only painting part of the truck. I'd say go the full boat and paint the whole thing - well - or not at all. That's my opinion. And I would expect it to cost $8K-$10K in SoCal for the quality I'd be looking for. Also, I probably would not paint it unless I was going to keep it for a while and enjoy that new paint job. Just my two cents.
This is sound advice.

If you’re in a position to paint it, then why not? I’d keep to the factory colors as they are rare and handsome.

I’m painting mine currently, a down to the metal stripping, but staying with my factory color.

Be careful when getting estimates as many shops will not put down exactly how they're going to paint the vehicle; will they tape off things instead of removing them? Will they paint over door handle gaskets, fender flare gaskets? Remove the mirrors or paint them in place? Remove the windshield and rear hatch glass, or tape off the gasket? Remove the roof rack or rear wing (which may have rust hiding underneath)?? Remove the belt molding or tape off around them??

Then there's the quality of the materials; cost of the primer, sealer, paint, clear coat, UV additives etc can vary quite a bit; there's good, better, and best levels and the price goes up with each. Many shops do not disclose the brand or grade of material they plan to use.

All these details make a major differnence in cost and quality of the final job.

IME $5000 would not include most of what's listed above, to get the complete job you're probably well above $10,000 not counting the cost of new moldings, gaskets, etc..

Be careful when getting estimates as many shops will not put down exactly how they're going to paint the vehicle; will they tape off things instead of removing them? Will they paint over door handle gaskets, fender flare gaskets? Remove the mirrors or paint them in place? Remove the windshield and rear hatch glass, or tape off the gasket? Remove the roof rack or rear wing (which may have rust hiding underneath)?? Remove the belt molding or tape off around them??

Then there's the quality of the materials; cost of the primer, sealer, paint, clear coat, UV additives etc can vary quite a bit; there's good, better, and best levels and the price goes up with each. Most shops do not disclose what grade of material they plan to use.

All these details make a major differnence in cost and quality of the final job.

IME $5000 would not include most of what's listed above, to get the complete job you're probably well above $10,000 not counting the cost of new moldings, gaskets, etc..
Good points.

For what it is worth… when it was quoted, the shop owner discussed using string to lift up the window gaskets to get the paint underneath and removing the side flares to paint them. He was concerned about painting the roof and dealing with the rust around the rack mounts. At the time, the shop wasn’t planning to remove the roof rack. Agree that removing the rack will likely reveal additional problem areas but I would rather get them addressed if the cost isn’t horrible. I also hate that the factory rack is decorative at best.

Then there's the quality of the materials; cost of the primer, sealer, paint, clear coat, UV additives etc can vary quite a bit; there's good, better, and best levels and the price goes up with each. Many shops do not disclose the brand or grade of material they plan to use.

All this is so very factual. I’m literally living this right now and Kernal has hit every salient point when it comes to finding a reputable paint shop. This is why I trailered my cruiser 26hrs across the states to a painter in AZ, Kelly Saad. He does it right.

I think it's worth doing if you have the money and you'd rather have the results than the money. That may sound like a snarky answer, but I really don't intend it that way. I think rigs like yours which are factory looking will continue to climb in value, so I would keep it the original color if it were me. That color combo is also really nice, in my opinion, and not that common. I would advise against only painting part of the truck. I'd say go the full boat and paint the whole thing - well - or not at all. That's my opinion. And I would expect it to cost $8K-$10K in SoCal for the quality I'd be looking for. Also, I would not paint it unless I was going to keep it for a while and enjoy that new paint job. Just my two cents.
Agree with another poster that this is sound advice. Also, would definitely keep the original colors. Not my favorite but it would be too big of a hassle and expense to do a complete color change the right way.

Last edited:
All this is so very factual. I’m literally living this right now and Kernal has hit every salient point when it comes to finding a reputable paint shop. This is why I trailered my cruiser 26hrs across the states to a painter in AZ, Kelly Saad. He does it right.
I have heard of this painter. Can I ask what you are planning to have done and the likely cost? Just curious. Probably out of my price range at this time.

I have heard of this painter. Can I ask what you are planning to have done and the likely cost? Just curious. Probably out of my price range at this time.
11454AE7-7899-441D-A078-59B2E325CABC.jpeg
5B14634B-A180-40C5-9FCF-26AA166E9D15.jpeg
FB28F007-4494-481B-9637-25DD594551BA.jpeg
DFF7F648-23DE-48CF-9EC6-BA197BA5A05B.jpeg

My cruiser is in work. You can pm me about price but I will give generalities. You can talk to Kelly about his costs.

I’m doing a full windows out paint job and going with a top tier paint. The paint, clear, etc alone was $2k before my military discount.

I paid right around $10k (it's white, so no clearcoat) 10 years ago. I do not regret it.

I paid about $1k to have the hood repainted and clearcoated, and the paint (clearcoat, really) cut and polished on the rest of the truck for one of my other 80s about 2 years ago. It made a huge difference and I do not regret that either.

If I could have painted both, I would have, but I have no illusions that I could have done as well as a professional shop.

I would leave as is.

Looking good to me, with no apparent rust at all. Well, maybe under the roof rack. That could be worth removing. I plan to do it on mine.

Deal with the rust. Spend $ to get it baselined. Spend the rest on gas and see the world.

"would definitely keep the original colors. Not my favorite but it would be too big of a hassle and expense to do a complete color change the right way."

IMHO if you're going to spend the money, paint it the color you want, let the next guy who rebuilds it in 40 years put it back to the original color.

With the original color being dark green you could for example go with another dark color you like better. There's the rare 80 series Nightshadow Pearl (dark metallic blue) for example and the few areas that weren't repainted (unless you pulled everything out of the engine bay) like in the engine compartment would barely be noticed as that area doesn't have clear coat and is already dull so not much difference between dark grey, dark blue, dark green in those out of the way areas.

Also if you're already pulling the door panels to remove the door handles it's not much extra work to pull the sill plates to paint the inner aspect of the doors and door openings in the body. Just a thought.

FWIW

Last edited:
…With the original color being dark green you could for example go with another dark color you like better. There's the rare 80 series Nightshadow Pearl (dark metallic blue) for example and the few areas that weren't repainted (unless you pulled everything out of the engine bay) like in the engine compartment would barely be noticed as that area doesn't have clear coat and is already dull so not much difference between dark grey, dark blue, dark green in those out of the way areas…

Hmmm… That is an idea I hadn’t considered. I like it. Thanks!

First of all....

A vehicle will never be an "investment" neither will painting a vehicle.

IMHO that doesn't mean you shouldn't paint it. If you like your rig and you want it to look nicer and you can afford it than get it painted.

If it were me I would not put any money into a 27 year old truck with 365k miles unless I was fixing something that was broke in order to keep it running. But than again if you got plenty of money to spare than that changes things.

Realistically how much longer will your rig be around? Is it really worth the money to paint or would it be wiser to take the money for the cost of painting, invest that money, and use it for a down payment on another vehicle when your 80 series gets totalled by a drunk or a dumb teenager.....

All good points. This board is full of good advice and knowledge.

First of all....

A vehicle will never be an "investment" neither will painting a vehicle.

IMHO that doesn't mean you shouldn't paint it. If you like your rig and you want it to look nicer and you can afford it than get it painted.

If it were me I would not put any money into a 27 year old truck with 365k miles unless I was fixing something that was broke in order to keep it running. But than again if you got plenty of money to spare than that changes things.

Realistically how much longer will your rig be around? Is it really worth the money to paint or would it be wiser to take the money for the cost of painting, invest that money, and use it for a down payment on another vehicle when your 80 series gets totalled by a drunk or a dumb teenager.....
Agree. It may be throwing money away if I paint it. It doesn’t need new paint to keep running. Mainly sentimental at this point. That truck has kept me safe and has always got me back home. During the summer, it makes weekly trips deep into the forest. It regularly hauls horse feed and bedding. Each summer it pulls trailers full of hay for the winter. The passenger side proudly displays the dog’s slobber each time she hangs her head out the window. Each winter it gets my daughter up and down the mountain for winter sports. Every couple of months, it travels to the opposite sides of the state.

It has its negatives. It guzzles gas and is slow. No fancy modern technology. It has a lot of miles and needs repairs now and then. Each year, there is a bit more that needs to be done. Every year, could be the last.

Last edited:
I recently had mine repainted due to the clear coat peeling and the fading/rusting on the bumpers. It has gone from mine to both kids' and now back to being my DD. I took this opportunity to remove the factory luggage rack and replace it with a bowfin rack. I'll probably never recuperate the money invested in the paint job, but it also bring me much joy that I dont have to look at the peeling clearcoat and rusted/faded powdercoating on the steel bumpers.
IMG_8273.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom