Inverter wattage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
I've spent some time looking for answers and haven't found one yet so starting discussion..

I have an older 400W inverter I dug up and plan to install off of the Anderson connection that will occasionally be powering my PUMA compressor in the back of the truck. After looking around, I see most people are using 1000 or 1500 Watt inverters. Are you guys running refrigerators, hair dryers, and microwaves with your trucks? Am I overlooking a common use for an inverter?

I'd like to be able to power / charge electronics, and charge my rechargeable drills (18-20V). I'm assuming 400W will suffice but I keep seeing bigger inverters so thought I'd ask around.

Thanks!

J

I get by on 400W most of time for most of your needs listed. Where you run into problem with inverters is when motors are involved. Motors require sometime 3X the amount of starting wattage as when running. It is required for all UL listed electrical stuff to list the needed wattage to give you an idea if you have enough to run it.

I picked up a 3000W inverter while on sale for 50% off. I purchased it with the idea of being able to use some power tools. In fact I used it yesterday after the battery died on my Makita recip saw. I was picking up used shipping skids for kindling and there were three long ones that I had to cut in half to fit into my utility trailer. I plugged in my Bosch circular saw and finished the job. It started slow but after a few seconds got up to speed. Like everything, it all comes down to personal needs and preference.

I used to have a 700watt microwave in my rig with a 1200watt invertor. Everyone mooched frozen burritos and soup off me...

Drunk people in camp would put cans and junk in it...

I decided on the 1500 to power princess's blender and a coffee maker..... both are close to 1200-1500 watt draw on startup....

as long as you don't need sine wave for delicate electronics they're fairly cheap and compact.... HF has them on sale all the time - mine was 79 and I added the lifetime warranty for 18 ....

cheers

well I use a laptop and power tablets etc., would modified sine wave suffice or would it be better to use pure sine wave? is this just 'Mud OCD or common sense, I've lost any ability to tell anymore

most laptops / tablets are fine on the base inverters..... I used one on my boats inverter for years with no issues.

it's more for things like high end electronics or research / forensic stuff that's not really "field" ready normally....

100 bucks should cover it..... I plan on testing my girls blender this weekend while we go camping....

cheers !

scottyrana what model hairdryer are you running in your truck? :flipoff2:

thanks for the advice guys will go with normal inverter, prob 1000w

J

Here's another thought or two. So long as a 400 W will handle your needs, you don't need anything bigger. It tends to waste energy. Sizing the inverter to the load is important for maximum run times off the battery only.

It also convenient to have more than one inverter to minimize cords running everywhere.

If you have a big load that you'll be using often and want to maximize battery run time, consider a 12 volt alternative. Converting DC to AC uses energy. Better to have a 12 volt blender than running a 110 volt one from home on the inverter if it's going to be a long party.

We have one 400 w unit available at the rear tailgate and one under the Tuffy center console with outlet facing to the 2nd row seats. Considering getting one of those inverters that Toyota has for the dash for the front seat passenger, but haven't got around to it yet because we never have the 2nd row seats in any more.

I have a 2000 w unit around for a temp install if needed, but way overkill for most of what I do.

Not to Hijack the thread but I have a Brand New Samlex Pure SIne wave 1000W inverter for sale in the classified section under parts for sale if you are interested.

I am using a cobra 2500 watt unit mounted in my pass side rear tailgate area. It has a remote power feature which is nice as I can turn it on with a button from the center console. Runs hair dryer for the girls, grinders and power tools

If you are going to run a larger inverter, the wiring requirement on the 12V side go up with the wattage. The 1500W unit I got rec'd 2 gauge connections that were less than 6 feet long. I didn't follow the specs as I didn't want to mount the thing in the engine bay. I did however end up putting a 250A circuit breaker on it which will likely limit its capacity to less than 1500W.

If you are going to run a larger inverter, the wiring requirement on the 12V side go up with the wattage. The 1500W unit I got rec'd 2 gauge connections that were less than 6 feet long. I didn't follow the specs as I didn't want to mount the thing in the engine bay. I did however end up putting a 250A circuit breaker on it which will likely limit its capacity to less than 1500W.

Good points there. I used some cheap jumper cables that were on sale. I think they were either 4 or 6 gauge, which makes them puny for starting, but fine to cut up for a source of cheap cable. The cable run for the 400 w inverter under our console is pretty short and we could've gotten away with one or two size smaller cable. The run to the rear 400 w inverter was long enough (~15') to make using a phat cable important. Thus, another feature of using smaller inverters is they are just plain easier to wire adequately to the rear of the truck.

Just FYI, harbor freight is having a big sale right now(bigger than their usual sale) I just ordered a 400 and 1000 watt both for just under $100 shipped with tax and after one of their abundant 20% off coupons. And the shipping is 6.99 so that's better than driving over there.

***edit-the 400 watt unit may be under priced, I saw it in the mail circulated ad for 27.99 but online it is 21.99 which is less than the 200 watt units so it looks out of place. Someone may have entered the price in wrong, who knows, but it still takes the 20% off coupon to make it 17.59 or whatever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom