Introduction March 1971 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow land crabbers!
I've lurked around here long enough I guess.
I bought this March 1971 Fj40 about a year and half ago and I'm still writing the to-do list.
It's a three in the tree, all electrics are working.
It came to me with lots done.
Runs well (have not done compression test yet)
New: Springs with slight arc lift, clutch, brake rebuild (drums) leaking somewhere, master cylinder with booster, starter, ignition system (points), tie rods ends, shocks.
Body pretty decent firewall forward and not too bad behind other than driver's floor, rockers, quarters are perforated. Rear Floors and wheel wells seem good. Bezel is right side up!!
Also has a new winch and came with crazy super swampers installed along with the set that are on it now. I sold the swampers for almost half what I paid for the rig so....it's all good so far.
I have a line on power steering box, pump and column from an 88 FJ60 for that conversion.
No luck on the front discs yet. Those are the only mods I want to make. Maybe a floor shift one day but have not driven it that much yet so don't know if I hate the tree or not. Oh, and maybe bucket seats (I'm 6'5") but I see I'll need to move the fuel tank for that :/ Smaller steering wheel after power conversion might help with space but I think the seats need to be further back.
Looking for windshield frame, rear top hatch, front disc stuff, running board.
Actually top priority is doors. Previous owner made a pair of excellent condition doors into half doors (argh). I need doors with windows for sure!! I'm willing to part with these half doors as trade/part trade for a pair of decent complete doors.
I'm not totally new to FJ40. I had a 1980 that I sold 25 years ago and kick myself daily for parting with.
I'm mechanically inclined but daunted by the body work. Don't know if a tub replacement makes more sense than panel replacements. (i'm not rich). I'd go with steel before aluminum. Feel I should pull the body off so I can check and service the frame and replace the brake lines....and so on.
I'm enjoying this resource but am a little challenged in finding specific information sometimes.

Last edited:
Welcome to MUD!

It sounds like a nice cruiser....but

thisthreadisworthless.gif

What's going on when I'm attaching a file and it's says "attach every" whole image.... Looks like it wants to attach my whole album.

All I have right now. From last fall. Not for sale anymore. I was going to sell it but I was talked me into keeping it.

IMG_4293.JPG

The easiest front disc brake upgrade would be to swap in an entire axle from a later FJ40. My '76 has disc brakes stock, I believe that was the first year Toyota added them to the FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom