Introduction considering a 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I used to own a 60 series way back and I just wrecked my 80 series which I am afraid will be a total loss.
20200611_125845.jpg

I am seriously considering a 100 series for my next purchase. I just wanted to introduce myself because I am sure I will have some questions in the coming weeks. I have started reading the FAQ section and I am excited to learn all about the 100 series. For me it is tough to buy something I am not familiar with. I want to get another 80 series because I already know what to look for and check as far as repairs and maintenance goes.

Being busy and rushed to replace a vehicle sucks because it makes one feel like they don't have the time to do the research to make an informed purchase.

I have another year of school left to finish so I really want a vehicle that will be trouble free for the next year. The main reason I am considering a 100 series over another 80 series is because I feel like I would have a better chance of getting a rig that didn't need work for the next year. Also I dont know where I am going for my clinical rotations in January or where I will end up working after school. I could very likely get a job somewhere with emissions and much less access to offroading. Currently I have access to limitless places to explore offroad without ever getting on an interstate. But I could see myself somewhere in the next year where my adventures could include much more interstate and highway driving than I currently do. I still want a toyota suv so I can cram what little I need to move somewhere for my clinical rotations and to start a new job somewhere in the next year.

Thanks for reading and I am sure I will be posting up some questions sooner than later.

20190719_210253.jpg

The 100 is not for you unless you find a mint clean one with records, since you dont want something you'd need to work on. After all, these are 14-22 year old trucks with likely 200k+ miles

The 100 is not for you unless you find a mint clean one with records, since you dont want something you'd need to work on. After all, these are 14-22 year old trucks with likely 200k+ miles

I dont mind working on one. I am currently not in a position where I want to fork out big $$$$ for major repairs over the next year. By this time next year that will not be an issue. I have been driving an 80 series with 280,000 miles the last 6 years so I know all about owning old high mileage rigs.

The rig I am currently eyeballing has 165,000 miles on it. The owner says the timing belt was changed at 125,000 miles but has no receipts. Are the timing belts on these vehicles easy to inspect or are they inside the engine? I have to experience with the 4.7 so I have no idea.

The 4.7 is a very good motor; can take a lot of abuse and run well. If it's been maintained it's got a lot of life in it. You can always run the vin on the Toyota site to see what kind of maintenance records come back.

There are plenty of good 100s available on the market that would be fine with little more than a fluid baseline after purchase.

I dont mind working on one. I am currently not in a position where I want to fork out big $$$$ for major repairs over the next year. By this time next year that will not be an issue. I have been driving an 80 series with 280,000 miles the last 6 years so I know all about owning old high mileage rigs.

The rig I am currently eyeballing has 165,000 miles on it. The owner says the timing belt was changed at 125,000 miles but has no receipts. Are the timing belts on these vehicles easy to inspect or are they inside the engine? I have to experience with the 4.7 so I have no idea.
180-200k is right about when a lot of things need to be overhauled. Starter, alternator, some ac leaks, fan clutch, pulleys, steering rack, CVs, brake booster. Nothing is of major major money except for the brake booster at $2500.

All cruisers are maintenance pigs. Cost to run an 80/100 is a marginal difference imo. Both will have a hefty gas bill, require constant greasing of driveline components. The 80 has knuckle rebuilds while the 100 has $400 CV's that go bad every 150k miles. The 100 is way more comfy while the 80 feels more tractor-ish. Then 2UZ is a way better engine than the US market 80 series engines from a power/reliability standpoint, so that might give a slight edge to the 100 in running costs.

Spend more and get one that has a longer maintenance list, or find one as cheap as possible and get to work. Although it sounds like you want to avoid that.
You could get a 4Runner for the time being since those are pretty solid, less maintenance pigs than cruisers it seems, or a 1st gen Sequoia? Not to divert from cruisers but im under the impression those two vehicles are easier/cheaper to keep maintained

Sorry to hear about your 80. Someone asked a similar question yesterday

The 100 might be a good fit, but you'll need to budget for some repairs and baselining. Mileage can be misleading, so focus on maintenance history and condition in your search. $10k will get you in the ballpark for something without any issues. If you're looking for something more guaranteed trouble-free I'd search for something very well-cared for and perhaps target the later years (03+). Expect to pay ~$15k for something in very nice shape.

Regardless of what you buy, I'd budget a solid $2k for the first year of ownership. Heater Tees are #1 priority for a new purchase (cheap, but very important).

All cruisers are maintenance pigs. Cost to run an 80/100 is a marginal difference imo. Both will have a hefty gas bill, require constant greasing of driveline components. The 80 has knuckle rebuilds while the 100 has $400 CV's that go bad every 150k miles. The 100 is way more comfy while the 80 feels more tractor-ish. Then 2UZ is a way better engine than the US market 80 series engines from a power/reliability standpoint, so that might give a slight edge to the 100 in running costs.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but the CVs should last 300k+ if properly maintained (30k wheel bearing service including snap ring check and replace as necessary). If anything, they might need a reboot somewhere between 150k and 300k. If the CV is bad at 150k, I'm guessing there was a lack of maintenance for an extended period of time or the rig was lifted without a diff drop.

Spend more and get one that has a longer maintenance list, or find one as cheap as possible and get to work. Although it sounds like you want to avoid that.
You could get a 4Runner for the time being since those are pretty solid, less maintenance pigs than cruisers it seems, or a 1st gen Sequoia? Not to divert from cruisers but im under the impression those two vehicles are easier/cheaper to keep maintained

I have been considering a 4 runner or tacoma also but any of those in good shape with low miles are as much as the lx470 I am interested in.

The lx470 I found is a 99 with 165,000 miles for $8400. It seems like a pretty good deal. Other than some worn out seats the pictures make it look clean. The only problem is that the rig is located in Pheonix which is a long full day drive to go check it out.
I posted on the AZ state cruiser club forum to see if anyone would be willing to check it out for me if I paid them. Maybe I should post here on the 100 series forum to find somebody knowledgeable on 100 series to look it over for me.

I have been considering a 4 runner or tacoma also but any of those in good shape with low miles are as much as the lx470 I am interested in.

The lx470 I found is a 99 with 165,000 miles for $8400. It seems like a pretty good deal. Other than some worn out seats the pictures make it look clean. The only problem is that the rig is located in Pheonix which is a long full day drive to go check it out.
I posted on the AZ state cruiser club forum to see if anyone would be willing to check it out for me if I paid them. Maybe I should post here on the 100 series forum to find somebody knowledgeable on 100 series to look it over for me.

That seems pretty reasonable for a southwest truck. I didn't see it mentioned but if the timing belt was changed there is usually a sticker on the cover, or a tech can pop the cover and inspect to tell if its been done somewhat recently.

For comparison this one is for sale near me. Asking way too much IMO.

That seems pretty reasonable for a southwest truck. I didn't see it mentioned but if the timing belt was changed there is usually a sticker on the cover, or a tech can pop the cover and inspect to tell if its been done somewhat recently.

For comparison this one is for sale near me. Asking way too much IMO.

The owner says he is the 2nd owner and claims the timing belt was done at 130,000 miles but his dad's friend mechanic did it and there is no receipt. My understanding is that it is quite easy to remove the passenger side cover on the engine in order to visually inspect the timing belt. If I could get someone knowledgeable in the area to check it and if it looks decent than I would most likely go get it and drive it home. Once home I would take it to a local toyota guy who knows his stuff and let him look it over. Between my Toyota guru and myself I would get it baselined over the next couple of months.

The owner says he is the 2nd owner and claims the timing belt was done at 130,000 miles but his dad's friend mechanic did it and there is no receipt. My understanding is that it is quite easy to remove the passenger side cover on the engine in order to visually inspect the timing belt. If I could get someone knowledgeable in the area to check it and if it looks decent than I would most likely go get it and drive it home. Once home I would take it to a local toyota guy who knows his stuff and let him look it over. Between my Toyota guru and myself I would get it baselined over the next couple of months.

Even though its in the southwest I would still ask for pics of the undercarriage as well.

T-belt is important, but isn't the most expensive job to do on a 100. I'd double check CV's to see if they are leaking grease, wheel bearing play, and the condition of the steering rack. An OEM rack install will run $1.5k - 2K at a dealer, and CV's will probably run you at least 1k.

T-belt is important, but isn't the most expensive job to do on a 100. I'd double check CV's to see if they are leaking grease, wheel bearing play, and the condition of the steering rack. An OEM rack install will run $1.5k - 2K at a dealer, and CV's will probably run you at least 1k.

Thanks man, I will ask him about those things. It doesn't look like it has seen much offroad so hopefully the steering and stuff is good. I really appreciate the hints, I know all the stuff to check on an 80 series but I am lost on these 100 series rigs. Although I have been searching and reading up so I am learning quick.

That one has bad front seats and paint issue on hood. I believe it has the defective color from factory, pretty soon you will have to repaint the entire car, unless you don't care about paint. BTW, I don't see your post in the club house section. You may have posted in the wrong club house.

That one has bad front seats and paint issue on hood. I believe it has the defective color from factory, pretty soon you will have to repaint the entire car, unless you don't care about paint. BTW, I don't see your post in the club house section. You may have posted in the wrong club house.

Thanks for pointing those things out but luckily I dont care about paint a whole lot. I know all of the 80 series other than white ones had problems with the paint peeling. There were two different club forums for AZ, I think I posted on the first one.

Thanks for pointing those things out but luckily I dont care about paint a whole lot. I know all of the 80 series other than white ones had problems with the paint peeling. There were two different club forums for AZ, I think I posted on the first one.

That club doesn't exist now and its forum is less active.

Don't forget to check places like Facebook Marketplace for other rigs for sale. I was able to find more "specimen" on there than through the normal mean of Craigslist, AutoTempest, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom