Introduction - ‘84 FJ40 non-US spec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I admit I don't know the Middle East market as well as I know the 40 series. But I know if I was unable to personally inspect one that does not still have the factory paint I would stay clear. One from this region of the world would a beige one. New non stock upholstery and new paint in a color other beige to me takes the chart away from cruisers from this area. It also throws up a huge red flag which why I would need to inspect it personally. Not going to pay for work done when I would most likely need to do again. New paint makes it easy to hide the original condition of the cruiser. Mechanical is always easy to hide. Never seen anyone tear the mechanical down and take pictures of the insides. So always expect the worse. In this region would you still find drum brakes on the front axle? That is a downside of this region. Lack of disc brakes and the H55F on 83 and 84 models. Both easy to remedy.
There may be some 83 or 84 models with disk brakes but I have no personal knowledge of such. All the ones I looked at had drums up front including some 83 models. There were/are some 83/84 models that were OEM white in Saudi but they are rare. Many also do not have factory heat. There are some out there but original paint after 40 years in the desert is rare. Most have been resprayed at least once.

Arizona has a number of proving grounds including Toyota because of the heat. I did HVAC work at Toyota's proving ground back in the early ninetiess. I have a 70 and 76 that have been in the AZ desert since new. To my knowledge neither spend time in the garage before I bought them. Both have original paint. Can see the faded on the 76 which waxed out nicely.

Interesting that when they get repainted they never seen to change the color, they stay beige.

The carrot 025 (1).JPG

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_2611.JPG

The carrot 044.jpg

0007.JPG

I admit I don't know the Middle East market as well as I know the 40 series. But I know if I was unable to personally inspect one that does not still have the factory paint I would stay clear. One from this region of the world would a beige one. New non stock upholstery and new paint in a color other beige to me takes the chart away from cruisers from this area. It also throws up a huge red flag which why I would need to inspect it personally. Not going to pay for work done when I would most likely need to do again. New paint makes it easy to hide the original condition of the cruiser. Mechanical is always easy to hide. Never seen anyone tear the mechanical down and take pictures of the insides. So always expect the worse. In this region would you still find drum brakes on the front axle? That is a downside of this region. Lack of disc brakes and the H55F on 83 and 84 models. Both easy to remedy.
Yes, drums up front.

Which imported 40's have you owned? Interesting observation? Thanks
Real MUD wisdom wouldn’t discount imported 40’s… it would have pointed you to someone who knows what they are importing and is honest about overall condition.

Did you overpay? Maybe, but honestly that can happen with any impulse purchase of anything. You’re digging in and having fun.

Dig in, clean and fix it up as you go! If you have non-US specs, specifically Mideast, there are several folks here who are happy to help. My 40 came out of Saudi!

There are importers who do things right. Every truck I bring in has disk brake upgrades and full mechanical repair/restore done… bearings, bushings, seals, gaskets. We’ll rebuild an engine if the compression is poor. Some importers here bring them in as-is and are as honest as they can be about what it is. The same cautions that apply to buying sight-unseen on Craigslist from Arkansas apply to buying an imported truck.

Did you overpay? Maybe, but honestly that can happen with any impulse purchase of anything. You’re digging in and having fun.

Dig in, clean and fix it up as you go! If you have non-US specs, specifically Mideast, there are several folks here who are happy to help. My 40 came out of Saudi!

There are importers who do things right. Every truck I bring in has disk brake upgrades and full mechanical repair/restore done… bearings, bushings, seals, gaskets. We’ll rebuild an engine if the compression is poor. Some importers here bring them in as-is and are as honest as they can be about what it is. The same cautions that apply to buying sight-unseen on Craigslist from Arkansas apply to buying an imported truck.
Thank you, @Honger, couldn’t agree more. I learned my lesson and don’t regret anything. Honestly I didn’t even know Mud existed before I got the beast. Buddy had one when i was in college and I’ve been admiring 40s from afar since then. And thanks for the tip on the Arabian Cruiser Clubhouse - despite watching and searching Mud since I got it, I never saw that section. Appreciate everyone’s input, Mud is truly a great place.

Your purchase, even if you overpaid, got you into the game. You have a rare year model here in the states so over time you may indeed make up for the initial spend. Enjoy it and keep posting your work on it.

Thank you, @Honger, couldn’t agree more. I learned my lesson and don’t regret anything. Honestly I didn’t even know Mud existed before I got the beast. Buddy had one when i was in college and I’ve been admiring 40s from afar since then. And thanks for the tip on the Arabian Cruiser Clubhouse - despite watching and searching Mud since I got it, I never saw that section. Appreciate everyone’s input, Mud is truly a great place.
Saudi FJ40's are great, I have 2 of them! They're pretty simple to work on since they don't have smog or electronic ignition and they can have all the same options as US spec except a roll bar and disk brakes. My 84 the has been by daily driver for almost 10 years and will run 120KM all day long in the Saudi summer heat. BTW drum brakes are fine, properly maintained they stop great. Drive and enjoy, parts and options only limited by your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom