Introduce Yourself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My opinion on this is as follows... For now, we stay seperate. We know that those of us here want to get involved in what we've been talking about here. Some of us may not want to get involved in what they already have going... myself included. I wouldn't be against combining runs with them in the future but as far a "clubs" go I say that we stay a seperate entity. If things work out the way I'm hopng then maybe they can petition us to become a sub-club in the future. They've already lost TLCA status once for one reason or another. I would prefer that we start with a fresh slate.

That's my $.02

I have to agree with BMAN on this.
AZLCA's bylaws state that they only admit Land Cruisers into their ranks.
(Or at least they did the last time I checked. They're old site is down and
their new one is unfinished.)
The consensus here was that we didn't want to exclude the Cruiser's little
(and not so little) brothers from our forum and eventual club.
We're a big state, and the potential regional subdivision of this club works
out better (IMO) if we have more members overall.

[quote author=RHINO link=board=27;threadid=12639;start=msg121341#msg121341 date=1079332275]
sell the 2H? you meant 2F right??
re-powers are very easy in this state, all you do after install is get it inspected and you will be issued an emission standard (displacement, year whatever)
i have done much of the leg work already in anticipation for my diesel re-power.
[/quote]

I meant sell the 2F first, then sell the 2H when I go to a 12H-T. :)
But if I can just swap a 12H-t into my 60, I can leave an HJ-60 intact for womeone else to fulfill their diesel wagon dreams.

Does your method include diesel engines never offered in the US?
I'm fairly sure the emissions standard for 1983 is just exhaust opacity, and I'd
be buying a newer engine by a couple of years so it'd most likely pass that
with flying colors.

from what i understand, US or non US engine doesnt matter for a re-power, they will issue an emission standard based on a comparable year and engine. i dont know the guidelines as i only briefly asked about toyota engines never imported, i am mostly interested in the cummins 4BT. they tell me its absolutely no problem.

Hi fellow Toyota nuts!

My name is Marc Sahr... I have an 85 4Runner and a work-in-progress 71 FJ40 I just purchased a couple months ago. Been a member of TLCA for a while, got sick of the AZLCA and the "nothing but cruisers" edict which I'm glad to see this club doesn't subscribe to. I've wheeled lots of major and some not so major areas of Arizona for 30 some years now. I'm a certified Toyota nut, have owned 3 FJ40s, 4 4Runners, 3 pickups, and 2 celicas (part of me likes sports cars) ::)

I live in Fountain Hills (outside of Scottsdale). Short day trip wheeling haunts include upper and lower Sycamore Creek, Bartlett Lake (the Log Corral trail is mucho fun) and Florence Junction. I'm a 3-time participant of the 4Runner Jamboree in Johnson Valley and will be there this year (The Hammers Baby!) oh and Broken Arrow trail in Sedona (pink J**ps SUCK :mad:

Typical boring truck specs: The 4Runner has 35" BFG MTs, rear detroit locker, 3" lift with cut fenders and bumpstops, All-Pro rock sliders/rear bumper/transfer case crossmember, Power Tank, Optima red-top, RS9000s, Centerforce clutch, etc etc.

The FJ40 runs but needs work, some cosmetic but mostly fixing the hack work done by the PO. Planning the typical items (Power Steering, 4-wheel discs, possible spring-over, possible axle swap) and a family cage, 350 crate motor with automatic and marlin-low-geared 3-speed xfer case.

Happy to see this virtual club start. Let's go wheeling!

Rhino-
Cool. Thanks.
There's actually an emissions tester in my class right now. Told him I have
a few questions for him. :)
Now to start looking for a low-mileage 12H-T. :D :D :D

msahr-
Now you can sell us your Cruisers and still be a member with your other rigs. :)
Nice to see some other Toyotas chiming in.

welcome msahr,, i too enjoy the log corral run once in a while. is your avatar from that wet and tree'd section in log corral? i dont know if that water always flows but its been there every time i've gone.

BTW i met a new 40 owner this w/e and he and some friends are gonna run up to crown king. i was thinking of tagging along for support, but also to check out desoto mine, its been on my list for a while just never run it yet.

[quote author=RHINO link=board=27;threadid=12639;start=msg122332#msg122332 date=1079482909]
welcome msahr,, i too enjoy the log corral run once in a while. is your avatar from that wet and tree'd section in log corral? i dont know if that water always flows but its been there every time i've gone.

BTW i met a new 40 owner this w/e and he and some friends are gonna run up to crown king. i was thinking of tagging along for support, but also to check out desoto mine, its been on my list for a while just never run it yet.
[/quote]

The avatar is one of the "preset ones" on this board... Lately I've been to lazy/busy to make one.

I've been there a couple times and yes the water is always there. Maybe an underground stream?

I might be up for a C/K run. This weekend and next are no good but let me know!

[quote author=hj60 link=board=27;threadid=12639;start=msg122238#msg122238 date=1079471662]
msahr-
Now you can sell us your Cruisers and still be a member with your other rigs. :)
Nice to see some other Toyotas chiming in.
[/quote]

No no... that's just how many I've HAD. I only own 1 cruiser and 1 4Runner.

Broken Arrow is just funny anymore. Me and a buddy from work wheeled it in a stock Suzuki Samurai. A Jeep tour guy seriously doubted we'd make it. No Problemo. I wheeled almost the whole thing in 2wd, until an icy hill thwarted me!!

[quote author=RUSH55 link=board=27;threadid=12639;start=msg123152#msg123152 date=1079620660]
Broken Arrow is just funny anymore. Me and a buddy from work wheeled it in a stock Suzuki Samurai. A Jeep tour guy seriously doubted we'd make it. No Problemo. I wheeled almost the whole thing in 2wd, until an icy hill thwarted me!!
[/quote]

It always has been. It's not a serious trail and really only requires 4wd once or twice no matter what vehicle. The only challenge is to run devils staircase from the bottom to the top.

Way too congested for my taste.

Hey fellow cruiser heads. My name is Brad, and I've been in Tucson all my life. My folks bought a brand new 72 FJ55 when I was 6. Childhood memories of 4 wheeling trips include hanging my head out the back seat window and watching the suspension work it's magic. I was hooked early on. :) The folks sold it in 89.

Now I'm married and have a house and 3 girls, and recently an 87 FJ60. I've had the cruiser out on 3 trails so far. Reddington pass, Rice Peak in the Catalinas, and the Rosemont Camp area in the Santa Ritas.

The 60 is stock except for an ARB locker in the rear. The PO had the original springs retentioned and fortified. The thing is a real lumber wagon, even loaded down. The first big mod will be OME suspension. The list goes on forever from there :)

Hi i am john in Casa Grande
I have a FJ40 with 33x12.50 and soon a rebuilt 2f mine crapped a head at 260,000 miles also i am redoing the springs to get more flex. I mostly have been running with the local Nissan group but they have yota, gm, ford, and everything else running with them. My cruiser is stranded in washington untill i can get up there to get it.(Hopfully after EMT class)

Cool....Clint from Kingman...72 Cruiser..used slightly!

Finished up with few things... Now it's time to get it out and about. Here we are at Saguara Lake's second cove.

LC-at-the-Cove.jpg

:beer: Hi cruiser & other 4x4 heads. I'm Earl from Tucson, and drive a 70,000 mile '74 FJ-40, always a work in progress, Home spun A/C, minitruck P/S using Bill Dorey's box mount, air shocks in the rear to support a 13 gal. aux. tank, and a 2 jerry can rack I built for the drivers side using a pair of spare tire mount hinges, I'm in the process of installing a pair of Mercedes 10 way power seats, got the passenger side in, but it sits pretty high, and I may modify it before I'm done. I also own a '65 FJ-40, SBC, original 3 speed, new brakes, and another work in progress that has to go if anyone is looking for a project. I bought the '74 almost 3 years ago, it's home for the first 20 some years was behind a motor home out of San Jose Ca., and had 56,000 on it.
I have driven a lot of the southern Az. trails, including Chivo falls with no problems. Take care, Earl :beer: 3/29/04, I've given up on the seats in the '74, and re-installed the original pass side seat, as it ended up to high. Their going into the '65, as it already had buckets, rotted as they were, so someone will ride in luxury when I sell it......Earl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom