Intro Xml325 38.5's with no lift 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the grille/turn signal arrangement! Reminds me of this guy, for some reason:

BMW+8+series.jpg

I think a tube bumper with two main tubes coming up from the frame in front of the radiator, then one main bumper tube across teh front just under that valence, then incorporate round headlights into the center section. I'll draw a picture if I have time.

:edit: something like this. Maybe put an LED ligth bar in the middle under the hood.
View attachment 1257628

I like where you are going with it. I thought an led bar would fit nice in the slot too.

Fzj80 truck conversion

Last edited:
What's your plans for the air filter? Doesn't look like it will fit on the wheel well anymore.

I love the grille/turn signal arrangement! Reminds me of this guy, for some reason:

BMW+8+series.jpg

I think a tube bumper with two main tubes coming up from the frame in front of the radiator, then one main bumper tube across teh front just under that valence, then incorporate round headlights into the center section. I'll draw a picture if I have time.

:edit: something like this. Maybe put an LED ligth bar in the middle under the hood.
View attachment 1257628

With a winch in the middle behind some dimple die plate???

More welding today on the driverside fender well. Tubbing the footwell was a pain! Not looking forward to relocating all of the electronic stuff that hides in the kick panel and just above the kick panel!!
Passengers side was alot easier that the driverside. driverside has much more to fit around, such as the steering box, the shock tower, the brake lines, the brake booster and the harness entering the bay from the cab.
The sound barrier material sucks when needing to weld around it!!

More welding today on the driverside fender well. Tubbing the footwell was a pain! Not looking forward to relocating all of the electronic stuff that hides in the kick panel and just above the kick panel!!
Passengers side was alot easier that the driverside. driverside has much more to fit around, such as the steering box, the shock tower, the brake lines, the brake booster and the harness entering the bay from the cab.
The sound barrier material sucks when needing to weld around it!!

Bump for progress update????

I've done a bit, so far front inner wheel wells are all but done, modified the filter housing to run a cone filter, reconnected all of the relocated harness and got it back running. Now I can't stop driving it to finish. Pic is me driving it home frome work.

2016-06-08 20.18.33.jpg

It's like a race car now, acceleration is SOO MUCH different!!!

Now it just needs an 80 hood hinged in back as a hard tonneau cover ;)

Ok maybe one of these between the turns too
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hell yea. I need to get mine inspected so I can experience te joy of driving a dieted 80. I've cruised it around the back roads and it is comparable to my stock 2010 fj cruiser. Although the (practically) straight pipe makes it seem faster than it is.

I also did the ABS/LSPV delete and on dry pavement the thing stops too quickly. It's going to take some getting used to. No more starting to brake a 1/2 mile before stop signs.

Any thoughts on the front light setup?

Any thoughts on the front light setup?

Yeah, I robbed some projection stuff from some Lexus headlights. I'm going to mount them behind the holes the fill the hole with woven wire mesh. The center hole will get led bar.

These light-weight threads are giving me hope with my new project.

Has anyone actually weighted the complete vehicle yet? I'm very curious to see how light these cut ups are getting.

These light-weight threads are giving me hope with my new project.

Has anyone actually weighted the complete vehicle yet? I'm very curious to see how light these cut ups are getting.

I'm close. I'm done patching holes. I need an inspection and then i will try to have it weighed somewhere.

My single cab is 5100lbs, with a beefy flatbed and armor/winch/steel wheels.

View attachment 1272681

That is heavier than I would have thought. Steel wheels and 35s are heavy. Any idea how much the bed weighs? and what it's made out of?

That is heavier than I would have thought. Steel wheels and 35s are heavy. Any idea how much the bed weighs? and what it's made out of?

Not sure on the weight of the bed, but it's heavy duty. The bed has a steel frame with C channel cross members and a wood deck.

I've also got an IPOR skid, fwiw.

I'm close. I'm done patching holes. I need an inspection and then i will try to have it weighed somewhere.

My single cab is 5100lbs, with a beefy flatbed and armor/winch/steel wheels.

View attachment 1272681

I can't wait to see more weights from these kinds of builds to compare. My new hybrid project is sitting at 2900ish right now. That is with a complete chassis, engine/trans/t-case mounted, a 40" tire package on beadlocks, complete suspension minus springs, and not much body. My rough goal is 3XXXLbs empty with a pretty hefty front weight bias. My hope is that I can keep it 50/50 with people, fuel, gear, spare tire, etc for longer trips.

For context: front axle weight was about 820 lbs. more than the rear; while this isn't a perfect representation, even if I took the flatbed off the rig she'd still be pushing 1.5 tons up front. (again, this is with an ARB, M12000, IPOR skid, ARB steps, and 35's on steelies).

The 1FZ isn't light, nor are these fully boxed frames and the rest of the beef.

IMG_4943.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom