Builds Intro: Ugly Betty(so far) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Intro & Build up: Ugly Betty(so far)

I am a long time 40 addict but they were never sold in ZA and so I had to be content with lurking here. Then I found one in Aussie, put my faith,trust and a fist full of cash into the account of a guy I had never met and held my breath. With the benefit of hindsight, I should not have worried.Daniel inspected the car,negotiated the deal,baught and stored it at his house and eventually arranged for it's transport to the shipping agent. Mate, you are amazing and proved that there are still some very good people left in this world.

After 3 long months, a huge amount of paperwork and red tape I finally went to collect her at the docks.

theo04.jpg

We put a good battery to her and she fired right up and was a pleasure all the way home:D

theo09.jpg

Due to the fact that her late arrival(one month) had delayed our summer holiday departure we decided to take her along as punishment:rolleyes:

p1010264_1_.jpg

(our first night)

p1010393_1_.jpg

Now that our holiday is over the resto work(she needs lots) can begin....

Last edited:
The LX models are not very good. They have a lot of reliability problems. I think it would be better for you if you sell it to me :flipoff2:

You lucky cruiserhead :bounce:

You have a very sweet cruiser, congrats :beer:

Thanx. As you can see the funnel already lost it's head and the hunt for a Safari head is on. She came with a few surprises, some pleasant and some not..
p1010444_1_.jpg

p1010457_1_.jpg

p1010450_1_.jpg

p1010452_1_.jpg

p1010446_1_.jpg

Hi All:

Congrats on the purchase! :cheers:

Looks to be in nice condition!

May I ask, how much Aussie $ did it cost?

Enjoy the "new" rig! :beer:

Alan

x2, never seen three whipers on a 40 series before????

Thanx very much:)

great shape....an LX also

somebody swiped the rear bench seat ....that sucks....but the whole truck makes up for it....great find :)

Yeah it does and my chances of finding Zebra seats here are nil.However I suspect/hope that the 75 series bench type seats could be "convinced" to fit if you use the bracketry from the 80 series jumpseats? The front seats seam to be off a Commodore and initially I couldn't wait to chuck them but after spending some extended time in them, I am not so keen anymore:eek: .

Mechanically she seems really good with no leaks except on the idler and the knucle seals.Tierods also need replacement and the powersteering pump leaks a little.The speedo cable needs to be replaced as the needle jumps below 60 km/h and the odometer only counts in decimals:confused:. Oh yeah and the aircon can do with a regas:D

Bodywise I think she is not in good shape but I might be too sensitive as I really don't know enough. Will take some pics of the rust and post it for you guys to educate me some.

TMarx - nice rig! When you get 'er done, you and Teebag should motor up here to Lilongwe and we can compare. (I'd go your way, but my Blue Mule is WHD for ZA) :D so I don't take her out of Malawi. I'm hoping to have mine done and off the road again in about 4 months. Dis baie lekker! ;)

Very nice find. You must be very excited. Love it in every respect. Have fun!!

That is a great looking cruiser !! From here, the body looks real good as well. Now we need some off-road pics of that beautiful country over there ! :cheers:

Thanx again guys.We do love her to bits ans as soon as she is finally registered and legally on the road we will try to restore her as best we can.At the moment I am just trying to stop the existing rust from spreading further untill we can strip her down and deal with the rust on a more permanent manner. Here are some pics to show what we are up against.Any advice,comments welcome:cheers:

p1010458_1_.jpg

p1010477_1_.jpg

p1010478_1_.jpg

p1010480_1_.jpg

p1010481_1_.jpg

p1010476_1_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom