Builds Intro: Ugly Betty(so far) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not good, see https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/196705-blue-mule-resto-malawi.html#post2938433

You forgot this one ;)

theo05.jpg

Thanx again guys.We do love her to bits ans as soon as she is finally registered and legally on the road we will try to restore her as best we can.At the moment I am just trying to stop the existing rust from spreading further untill we can strip her down and deal with the rust on a more permanent manner. Here are some pics to show what we are up against.Any advice,comments welcome:cheers:

Tmarx,

Industrial strength paint-it-on-with-a-brush red oxide primer. Scrape and brush away as much loose rust as possible, then paint on the primer. Not pretty, but it works. It'll stop a lot, or at least slow it down enough that you can take your time getting to it. I used the Cashbuild brand.

:cheers:

I love this pic. Tmarx sitting there grinning like he just got a 40, and the sweetheart in the background with that "did we really buy this?" look. :) That will change over time.

I love this pic. Tmarx sitting there grinning like he just got a 40, and the sweetheart in the background with that "did we really buy this?" look. :) That will change over time.

LOL , it is my daughter and she is already trying to find ways to convince us why the 40 should be hers.

Just an update.She was finally cleared by Interpol and the police.Yesterday she was registered in my name and now it is just the roadworthy test with liscencing before I can start stripping her :bounce:

Thanx man. This is a first for me so I am doing lots of reading and I am learning as I go.Actually the rust doesn't look as bad as I originally thought.The worst is in the hard top/gutter area.I have been wirewheeling the rusted spots on the outside of the tub and treating that, just to stop it from spreading untill I can strip her down completely.Next I will move to the inside of the tub and do the same.PO had the rust treated but not sure how good.There is way more bondo on her than rust:eek: Sofar I have found mainly smallish holes in the usual areas and a few spots where the bondo was cracked and the metal underneath has gone darker(if that makes any sense)? My thinking is to wheel the whole thing down to bare metal in order to see how bad/good she really is ?

ugly betty

Here's my Project "Ugly Betty" although she looks better now with the lift and BFGs on her. So there are two Ugly Betty's on the board now!:cheers:
hfslift 001.jpg

i wish i had your ugly betty.
i dont want to now wat mine would be called

Here's my Project "Ugly Betty" although she looks better now with the lift and BFGs on her. So there are two Ugly Betty's on the board now!:cheers:

:eek: Apologies for that, it was Swambo who named her and I didn't bother to check:doh: You are a lot further than me though and the lift and tyres looks great!
Just came back and happy to announce that she just passed her roadworthy test ! :bounce::D

:eek: Apologies for that, it was Swambo who named her and I didn't bother to check:doh: You are a lot further than me though and the lift and tyres looks great!
Just came back and happy to announce that she just passed her roadworthy test ! :bounce::D

Good news! :clap: Now, it's time to get to work ;)
:beer::wrench::wrench::wrench::beer::beer::wrench::wrench::wrench::D

Further?

I don't know about further the body is off now and I'm stripping the frame. At first I was going to do the lift and a fix up but once I saw the metal was in good shape I knew I had to preserve it or watch it rot away so I got to work.

Yours looks pretty good, what plans do you have for it?

Yours looks pretty good, what plans do you have for it?

Plans, mmm she has got most of the good stuff OEM already so once I have dealt with the rust I am thinking 4" Parabolics, 33x12.5/10.5 and the turbo I have waiting in a box in my garage:hillbilly: The plans for dealing with the rust though, seem to change as I discover the true shape of the truck which also seems to change from day to day. Yesterday I removed the old Mask bumper and found that although the bezel itself is 100% the bib is not in good shape.I also found some patch welding on the left rear corner which had not been grinded down properly(even I as a complete noob could see it).Instead it was flatened out by using lots of bondo which is probably why, just about the whole truck is covered thick with bondo :mad:. The fact that the 4*'s were never released in ZA means I have to either preserve/fabricate or import anything that I cannot source off an old 45 ser. Therefore I have to go frame-off and take the risk to galv the frame.POR15 is not availeble down here at all and importing enough of it to do the frame will cost wise not make sense as shipping is a killer. I would like to do this only once and never have to deal with the rust again.I don't want a showroom truck as she will be used regularly for trails and even short overlanding trips.I will post some pics later today so you guys can judge the state of the rust yourself.I will appreciate any advice/comments etc

Time for an update as I eventually started stripping her about 2 weeks ago.I know I am going slow but this is a first for me so I take lots of pics and make notes of just about everything. once my shop gets its new lights tomorrow, I should be able to work after dark also.

P1010448.JPG.jpg

P1010755.JPG.jpg

P1010778.JPG.jpg

P1010795.JPG.jpg

P1010838.JPG.jpg

P1010842.JPG.jpg

P1010812.JPG.jpg

P1010854.JPG.jpg

P1010855.JPG.jpg

P1010860.JPG.jpg

P1010861.JPG.jpg

P1010862.JPG.jpg