Intro - my '77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well guys, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my truck. I know how people love pictures on this forum, including myself. I bought the '40 two years ago this week. Since then, I've swapped the frame with a powder-coated frame from the early '70s. I added a 2.5" OME lift. 5100 Bilsteins. And then two weeks ago I sort of accidentally... 35" BFG KM2s. They were cheaper than the 33x10.5 so I figured WTH? The truck still doesn't have power steering but that is on the to-do list.

I still have a ton of little projects left to do on it. But it's on the road and I'm having a blast driving it. Even in this rain that never seems to end.

As far as the club goes, I'd love to meet up with you guys but I work on Sunday. Hopefully one of these days I'll make it out to another event on a Saturday or something.

And in case you couldn't tell from the username, my name is Mike and I drive a '77.

P1030262B.JPG

P1030263B.JPG

P1030229B.JPG

Thanks guys. Cirbo, I was a big fan of your build-up thread. I'm going to do my best to avoid the "tarted-up" look. When I bought this truck it was ready to be parted out. Instead I'm basically building a new truck piece by piece. But yeah, it'll never be close to stock. That's why I have no problem cutting it up and making modifications.

Howdy Mike!! Your cruiser looks beautiful.

Where were those pictures taken?

JohnVee, I'm looking forward seeing some local '40s and what you guys have done with them.

Johnny C, I appreciate the kind words. I took those pictures across the street from the Tega Cay Wal-Mart. That street will probably be filled with town-homes in a couple years.

I took those pictures across the street from the Tega Cay Wal-Mart. That street will probably be filled with town-homes in a couple years.

That's only about 2.5 miles from my house. PM me and let's make plans to meet up after work or this weekend.

Maybe we can have a Charlotte area "meeting" on a Thursday night at the USNWC during River Jam later this month?

I'm there every thursday and saturday night for the most part..... of course living 1 miles away from it has its perks. :grinpimp:

Sounds good guys. I haven't been there since the Brew Stash Bash because of all the rain. I'll keep an eye on the club page if you guys want to make it more formal and post it there.

Sounds like your not new to the area but welcome to the club!
Great looking 40 you got there and sounds like quality progress youve made so far.

Keep it up and keep us posted.

This was a picture of my baby taken in the waiting room at APS Muffler in Rock Hill. Only minor surgery, new tailpipe from the muffler, nearly straight back. They did the previous exhaust after the original rusted and fell off about 2 years ago. Then I changed out the frame. The new routing gets it out of the back left wheel well, so no more rubbing with the 35's. I guess Tuesday is a good day to go, by the time I got back from the ATM the guy was done. $60.

The only other stuff I've done since the last few pics are adding the Toyota badge on the front (hopefully cutting down on the Jeep guys waving), and a really sub par re-paint on tub portion (previously used the wrong Rustoleum Camo paint to cover scratches).

In the next few days, or weeks, I'm planning on adding a tach, hardtop, amp/speakers, and crossing my fingers for making the ambulance doors work.

Look for an update about a year from now when I get that stuff working.

20131112_133354b.jpg

I love APS. They did my work about 6 years ago on mine. Front engine to tailpipe with flo master muffler total cost was only $150

Mike, have you flexed your rig real well with the OME 2.5 and 35's? Any body rubbing? I ask because I'm thinking about going that route with my '70. I've got cut rears and wagon wheels just like you. I think yours looks great.

APS did the exhaust on the last two build projects I did. I'm usually pleased with their work.

Roadstr6, I appreciate the kind words. I haven't seriously flexed it yet. It's always been something. Whether it was the rusted out frame when I bought the truck, or the exhaust pipe rubbing on the rear wheel with even minor flex, there has been something stopping me. Now that I got the exhaust out of the way, I want to pick up some bump stops to keep my front fenders safe. I hear it's hard to find new ones.

Hopefully soon it'll be ready for a trip to URE and I can give you a better answer. And pics.

But this is my daily driver and I don't anticipate getting into any serious wheeling or crawling. So for now this seems like a good all-around setup for the truck.

On the subject of 35's, you guys may have noticed your 40s like to cruise along at about 55 mph. This might be obvious but I don't think I've seen anyone point it out on this site. With the larger tires it goes up to about 60 mph. Since I take the backroads and avoid the interstate I'm actually one of the faster drivers out there (as long as there aren't any red lights).

Mike, I noticed that you are missing the two rear reflectors that sit on the rear bumper just inboard of the taillights. SOR wants $40+ each for them. I found a much cheaper solution. Autozone sells a 3" round reflector that is mounted in an aluminum frame with tabs for bolting/nailing to any surface. They are less than $4 each at Autozone. I got two of these and used tin snips to trim off the tabs and then dremeled the edges smooth. The result is a 3" reflector framed in aluminum. Total diameter is 3.5". Perfect fit. I used the super high strength 3M double-sided tape to attach to the bumper. The originals had two bolts that went through the bumper with nuts on the backside. The 3M tape is strong enough that the reflector would break before the tape shears off.

Let me know when you go to URE and how the flex works out. How's the manual steering with 35's? My 32x11.5's are not easy to steer in parking lots.

That's a great tip about the reflectors. I've been contemplating whether or not to add them and get back to a stock look. Do you have any pictures of them on your truck? I was looking through your 'First Cruiser' thread and didn't see anything.

I had the 32x11.5 BFG ATs before. I don't really notice a difference in the effort required to steer. It's still a handful in parking lots but I've gotten used to it. I think going off-road with manual steering is going to be a workout. Just hoping I don't break any fingers. If anyone has advice about that, please share.

That's a great tip about the reflectors. I've been contemplating whether or not to add them and get back to a stock look. Do you have any pictures of them on your truck? I was looking through your 'First Cruiser' thread and didn't see anything.

I had the 32x11.5 BFG ATs before. I don't really notice a difference in the effort required to steer. It's still a handful in parking lots but I've gotten used to it. I think going off-road with manual steering is going to be a workout. Just hoping I don't break any fingers. If anyone has advice about that, please share.

Never wrap your fingers around the wheel in the event it whips back. This will prevent broken digits!

Just taught my wife about the thumb thing on the wheel. Never put them inside the wheel while wheel in or you will break it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom