Intro - How'd I get this lucky... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dubdub20003

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey, first post after lurking for a few weeks...

Life can be funny. Somehow my wife and i were in a discussion about the sometimes challenges of having the right vehicle to drive up mountains toward ski resorts, loaded we people or gear, and the many highway miles that are often between our home and the mountain... and before I knew it, we were in a discussion about buying a LC! So that's where I am now!

Apologies in advance for the dumb questions in my search and my hopefully-soon-to-be ownership. Thanks for letting me in the club.

Make sure you buy a 91-92 with the 3FE as it was the best engine Toyota has made to this day. If you check the pinned section you will see a buyers guide. It will show you what to look for. This forum also has a classified section and you might find what you are looking for under it. Good luck with the search

Make sure you buy a 91-92 with the 3FE as it was the best engine Toyota has made to this day. If you check the pinned section you will see a buyers guide. It will show you what to look for. This forum also has a classified section and you might find what you are looking for under it. Good luck with the search
Three key words in the OP post that would rule out ever choosing a 3FE version. Loaded, Mountain and Ski. With the 3FE you can only have 2 out of the 3.

I know that people sometimes get blinded by their love for a certain favorite item, even to the point of blocking out all other realities, but I cant imagine anyone choosing a stock 80 with a 3fe anywhere near the top of the list (or even on the list) of trucks to go many miles with loaded gear and then climb mountains.

Dude, really.

I also cant imagine many people agreeing that the 3FE is a better choice of engine over a FZJ or a 2uz. I have seen many folks try and put these engines in older truck but have never seen anyone try and take a 3fe and transplant into a 80 or hundred series

Last edited:
For what you are describing my 1st two choices would be a 100 or 200 series or even a sequoia.

I love my 80 but it doesn't hold a candle to the other 2 in on highway manners

I love my 2018 GX460. I paid $40,000 about a year ago. It gets 18MPG.

I've had a 100 series, very nice if you like 14MPG and a very expensive timing belt change. I understand the 80 series gets even worse MPG. Then you have the joys of a 30 year old vehicle. Great if you want something to tinker with. Not so great for long trips until it is restored.

I have a 1981 BJ44, it's perfect if the world ends.

I'm going to be in the "buy the newest you can afford" camp for this one. For the same $$ I'm betting the Sequoia will be the newest model year. So Sequoia.

I know that people sometimes get blinded by their love for a certain favorite item, even to the point of blocking out all other realities, but I cant imagine anyone choosing a stock 80 with a 3fe anywhere near the top of the list (or even on the list) of trucks to go many miles with loaded gear and then climb mountains.

Dude, really.

I also cant imagine many people agreeing that the 3FE is a better choice of engine over a FZJ or a 2uz. I have seen many folks try and put these engines in older truck but have never seen anyone try and take a 3fe and transplant into a 80 or hundred series
But you have seen lots of 100 series and other newer Toyotas converting to SAS using parts from an 80 series?? So what is your point?? This applies to all cars, types and brands across the board...

To the OP... If you have been "lurking" I'm sure that you have figured out that there are many opinions on why my land cruiser is best land cruiser. All on here love land cruisers. Some are obsessed with land cruisers and then there are those that should have immersion therapy to help with the anxiety of trying to convince everyone why their land cruiser is best land cruiser. If you have your heart set on an 80 and you feel like it will work for you and your family then that will be your best land cruiser. Keeping in mind that the newest 80 you are going to find is 25 years old. There are still some nice ones if you are patient and prepared to pay for it. They are great trucks but most all of them will need some work. Good luck with the hunt and welcome to the insanity.

I assume you’re here because you’ve settled on an 80. I also assume you’ve done your homework and can afford an 80 and all the associated costs of owning one.

With those assumptions out of the way, I applaud you and your wife’s decision to get into an 80.

I think people are trying to protect you from making a potentially bad decision but you’ve done your research right? And you have s***-loads of money that you can use on an 80 right?

Don’t get a sequoia. Get what you want.

I assume you’re here because you’ve settled on an 80. I also assume you’ve done your homework and can afford an 80 and all the associated costs of owning one.

With those assumptions out of the way, I applaud you and your wife’s decision to get into an 80.

I think people are trying to protect you from making a potentially bad decision but you’ve done your research right? And you have s***-loads of money that you can use on an 80 right?

Don’t get a sequoia. Get what you want.
AND if you do end up with a 3FE and have done your own research and assumption. You are well aware 3FE is being looked down upon in this forum. But what you don't know previously, and now you know...The F engine is what makes the Land Cruiser, not the 1FZ or the 2UZ. And yes, we can all dream of have a V8 80 series, but the reality is. the 3FE is slow, 1FZ is still slow, and 3FE will win the turtle race, and chances are 1FZ will need HG replaced. Don't get a sequoia. Get something with character and a soul.

You are well aware 3FE is what makes the Land Cruiser, not the 1FZ or the 2UZ. And yes, we can all dream of have a V8 80 series, but the reality is. 1FZ is still slow, and 3FE will win the race, and chances are 1FZ will need HG replaced. Don't get a sequoia. Get something with character and a soul.
Well said, couldn't agree more.

The 3FE was never the issue, it’s the slush box it came with. Same with the 1fz really, it’s only marginally less sluggish. A performance valve body would help, but those early 3FE trucks in particular really should’ve come with a manual IMO.

Y’all are amazing. I lurked, read, and decided on a Sequoia… and then it was vetoed for lack of character. I can probably get her to the 100, but the 80 was the easier place, hell 60 would work for her. I appreciate the validation on my original thinking… and will nudge toward 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom