Intro - How'd I get this lucky... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think a nice rust-free 80 with leather interior is the nicest looking LC. 93-94s have much better brakes and transmission than the 91-92. Also has a nicer dash than later models IMO. They suck gas like 100 but are simpler and much more rugged. Better exhaust and lighter foot would help the mileage issues I'm sure.

have you look into a 100 series? Seems like that would be a better fit than a slower/hungrier/solid axle rigs based on your intended use.
I’d suggest skipping right up to the 200 for an overland rig. I was in the 200 classifieds today and became rather aroused…..

challenges of having the right vehicle to drive up mountains toward ski resorts, loaded we people or gear, and the many highway miles that are often between our home and the mountain...
Somehow folk have turned this into a "whats your favorite cruiser" and have glossed over the original post and the asked question of what is the best for driving many miles to the mountains with a loaded truck and up to the resorts.

Someone may "love" their 3fe and for somer reason think that the F in 3fe makes it the best it in no way moves it to the front of this discussion. If someone is looking for the "best" option for the described question then you have to be leaning towards a 100 or 200 series. Assuming your leaning towards an 80 because you are in this section then i would go with an 80 with the larger engine option. I live in the Ozark Mountains and while they are no where near as tall a climb as ski resorts, the 3fe in a 80 can barely keep 50 mph up the climbs. Thats with no cargo.

Now thats not to say you cant desmog and change out gears and transmission and get better performance but I am answering the question based on a normal or most abundant version of these trucks.

As for character, its in the eye of the beholder. I remember when 40 owners scoffed at 60 and 80 owners as not true cruisers. I remember and still see the hate towards IFS so a 100 or 200 cant count as cruisers. Don't even start on the "L" models.

Love whatever cruiser you want, but I don't think that pushing a 3fe 80 series is going to be the "best" option for this instance. Might be your 'Favorite" but not "Best"

Somehow folk have turned this into a "whats your favorite cruiser" and have glossed over the original post and the asked question of what is the best for driving many miles to the mountains with a loaded truck and up to the resorts.

Someone may "love" their 3fe and for somer reason think that the F in 3fe makes it the best it in no way moves it to the front of this discussion. If someone is looking for the "best" option for the described question then you have to be leaning towards a 100 or 200 series. Assuming your leaning towards an 80 because you are in this section then i would go with an 80 with the larger engine option. I live in the Ozark Mountains and while they are no where near as tall a climb as ski resorts, the 3fe in a 80 can barely keep 50 mph up the climbs. Thats with no cargo.

Now thats not to say you cant desmog and change out gears and transmission and get better performance but I am answering the question based on a normal or most abundant version of these trucks.

As for character, its in the eye of the beholder. I remember when 40 owners scoffed at 60 and 80 owners as not true cruisers. I remember and still see the hate towards IFS so a 100 or 200 cant count as cruisers. Don't even start on the "L" models.

Love whatever cruiser you want, but I don't think that pushing a 3fe 80 series is going to be the "best" option for this instance. Might be your 'Favorite" but not "Best"
Lol even my 1fz struggles in the hills. And the Ozarks are hardly high elevation.

i see your location is DC. the mountains we have around here aren't exactly massive. while i get passed by other SUV's doing 90 MPH charging up to Whitetail, I get there in my 80 getting 15 MPG just fine. Last time another guy in the parking lot complimented my 80, so there's that

my wife also agreed with my logic for needing a replacement 4x4 to compliment my daily driver sedan. for camping, ski trips, snow days, runs to home depot, etc. i've been lusting after 80's for 20 years so i went for it. i did spend more than my initial budget, but found a rust free truck w/ lots of recent upgrades and maintenance. over the last couple years in casual searching i entertained GX's and 100's but i valued simplicity and strength (solid axle) over power and comfort. no regrets. i have done all the maintenance myself so far.

the wife has an X5 if we are going as a larger family and need things like heated steering wheels, 90 MPH, and 20+ MPG.

Welcome to the obsession. If CHARACTER is a deciding factor, then yep, welcome to 80 ownership. The way I sum it up is that a 100 is a better choice in almost every rational way.... But it's not an 80. Everyone else isn't wrong though, When I'm done with my 80 journey here soon, I will gladly drive it anywhere. But that journey started with a $3,000 truck and I have sunk the cost of a decent Camry in to it. I could have started with a nicer truck, but all of these are pushing 25 years old now, they are going to need some work. If the 80 does it for you, jump in, but I think this is a surprisingly reasonable group, make sure you want it and know what you are getting in to. Like some others here, we have a GX460 for the wife / family now, and it is an awesome vehicle if you like cruisers and Toyota trucks in general, but want something more comfy and modern with low miles. I'm really afraid that I won't be able to convince the family to take the 80 on trips as they realize the GX would go damn near anywhere I'll actually take the 80. Either way, good luck with your choice and enjoy what you get !

Jason

I’d suggest skipping right up to the 200 for an overland rig. I was in the 200 classifieds today and became rather aroused…..
That’s saying something at your age.

For going skiing with the family a 80 series is not a good choice. They don't have near the safety and collision avoidance of newer SUV's. In fact they don't have any collision avoidance or stability control at all. They also only have 2 airbags. A newer sequoia has like 15 air bags. East coast mountains typically have very icy roads. A sequoia or suburban or Tahoe is a much safer choice. Also the salt on the roads will destroy a 80 series. Newer vehicles will hold up better against the salt.

Somehow my wife and i were in a discussion about the sometimes challenges of having the right vehicle to drive up mountains toward ski resorts, loaded we people or gear, and the many highway miles that are often between our home and the mountain...
A guy's a corolla can do that. What you want is a 'Soobee' WRX 4 door manual 6-speed STI in steel blue metallic with orange trim on tan leather.

Buy whatever you like. If you need to go skiing at 85mph, buy something for $100k so you fully fit the (accurate) stereotype of people that drive 85 up the mountain. Something with "M series" or olympic circles at a minimum. Also, if you need this
In fact they don't have any collision avoidance or stability control at all.
What he means is "a person without a phone in their hand who can operate their vehicle." This can be solved by learning to drive.

All joking aside - the real message here is that your lovely bride immediately jumped on board with you buying a fun truck. I'd just focus on that and, again, buy what ya like.

Make sure you buy a 91-92 with the 3FE as it was the best engine Toyota has made to this day. If you check the pinned section you will see a buyers guide. It will show you what to look for. This forum also has a classified section and you might find what you are looking for under it. Good luck with the search
The earlier 80 series are inferior to the late model ones in almost every way, this is misinformation. Drum brakes, no full floating axles, worse engine.

The best years are 96-97, period.

The earlier 80 series are inferior to the late model ones in almost every way, this is misinformation. Drum brakes, no full floating axles, worse engine.

The best years are 96-97, period.
Objectively, your post is misinformation.

To pile on here.... "The earlier 80 series are inferior to the late model ones in almost every way, this is misinformation. Drum brakes, no full floating axles, worse engine." is a strong statement. You list the facts in drums, semi floater and different engine. That's pretty much it, so hardly "almost every way". I'll add no airbags or ABS in the earliest trucks. Does that make it garbage ? Nope, little slower, yes, a little less safe, maybe. But the 3FE fans will point out that the engine is even more of a tank than the 1FE. They also have that indestructible cloth interior that many prefer. And while general consensus / conventional wisdom is that that latest 95 - 97 vehicles are the best, there are a lot of different opinions. Don't forget the middle kids, 93 (mostly) / 94 have ABS and full floater axle and the 1FZ with a tank transmission, but we got to keep the older more interesting dash and the T O Y O T A grille, so totally worth the lack of airbags. :beer:

Jason

Buy whatever you like. If you need to go skiing at 85mph, buy something for $100k so you fully fit the (accurate) stereotype of people that drive 85 up the mountain. Something with "M series" or olympic circles at a minimum. Also, if you need this

What he means is "a person without a phone in their hand who can operate their vehicle." This can be solved by learning to drive.

All joking aside - the real message here is that your lovely bride immediately jumped on board with you buying a fun truck. I'd just focus on that and, again, buy what ya like.
well said

when i showed my wife a pic of the blue 80 i was interested in, the first words out of her mouth were "get it". then "how much". i focused on the first part. i may have gone over budget but its a nice truck :). we now have 3 blue vehicles in the driveway so that's becoming our thing i guess

“I'll add no airbags or ABS in the earliest trucks”

Two of the biggest benefits. On a brand new truck? No. On a 30 year old one? Absolutely.

The ABS is something else to break, and I’d like to know how effective it is with an extra 3000 pounds of ARB metal, 35’s and a 6 inch lift. Plus, if the 3FE is so slow, who needs ABS? 😂

And for real - I do not want a 25-30 year old hand grenade with a rusted pin mounted in the steering wheel just waiting to kick me in the face like a bee stung mule. Old airbags are the devil.

I went looking for the generic bumper sticker, but I found perfection. Who did this ?

2022-02-25 10-38-15_Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser NO AIRBAGS WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN sticker! _ eBay.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom