Interesting thoughts from Toyota regarding the 250 in this week’s Automotive News (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
A couple of articles that include interesting thoughts and comments from Toyota on the new 250.

In summary. A commentary questions the now crowded 4Runner segment since it will share many components with the 4Runner and many buyers will cross shop the two vehicles. The second article is interesting in it admits the hybrid version will not support 2030 goals and further electrification or alternative fuel systems will be necessary to sustain.

I am not certain how to republish these (properly) but they should be circulating the news very soon!

We have a 2015 GX460 Base and a 2016 Limited and the vehicles have distinct differences in driving dynamics. They will differentiate if the 4Runner is part time 4wd.

The other factor is we are one of the few markets that had the 4Runner or Fortuner and didn't have the Prado.

So I get where people are coming from but Toyota has already done this almost everywhere else and we were the exception and not the rule.

A couple of articles that include interesting thoughts and comments from Toyota on the new 250.

In summary. A commentary questions the now crowded 4Runner segment since it will share many components with the 4Runner and many buyers will cross shop the two vehicles. The second article is interesting in it admits the hybrid version will not support 2030 goals and further electrification or alternative fuel systems will be necessary to sustain.

I am not certain how to republish these (properly) but they should be circulating the news very soon!

The 2030 goals are a fantasy that will be struck down/never implemented

We have a 2015 GX460 Base and a 2016 Limited and the vehicles have distinct differences in driving dynamics. They will differentiate if the 4Runner is part time 4wd.

The other factor is we are one of the few markets that had the 4Runner or Fortuner and didn't have the Prado.

So I get where people are coming from but Toyota has already done this almost everywhere else and we were the exception and not the rule.
No doubt in my mind Toyota will figure out how to get it done, plus it is likely only the upper trim levels would get the same Hybrid engine.Maybe, the Limited and TRD Pro could potentially be at risk Toyota doesn’t know for certain according to the article.

The 4Runner has a HUGE following, it will have it’s own identity and unique in its own way!

Last edited:
The 2030 goals are a fantasy that will be struck down/never implemented
The goals are ambitious and every country has different objectives and ability to implement, will interesting to see how it all works out!

No doubt in my mind Toyota will figure out how to get it done, plus it is likely only the upper trim levels would get the same Hybrid engine.Maybe, the Limited and TRD Pro could potentially be at risk Toyota doesn’t know for certain according to the article.

The 4Runner has a HUGE following, it will have it’s own identity and unique in its own way!

The 4runner will almost certainly be a bit smaller, and probably with the 2.4 Turbo without the hybrid system . There has to be some differentiation to justify the price difference. Production will also likely move out of Tahara to free up production for the LC250, and to allow them to cut costs a bit to differentiate the offerings.

The 4runner will almost certainly be a bit smaller, and probably with the 2.4 Turbo without the hybrid system . There has to be some differentiation to justify the price difference. Production will also likely move out of Tahara to free up production for the LC250, and to allow them to cut costs a bit to differentiate the offerings.
Where else could they make them? I heard there was no room in Mexico

Where else could they make them?
The Tacoma plant would make sense, they will share many components and it would immediately reduce cost with the elimination of any tariffs.

I have never heard mention of that being an actuality, just tossing out a possibility if they are trying to lower the 4Runner costs and increase 250 production.

What are the 2030 goals?

Under the proposed standards from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, fleet-wide fuel economy for new vehicles would be pushed close to 58 miles per gallon by 2032. That's up from the 49 mpg required by 2026 under the current iteration of the rules. (Because of how fuel economy is calculated for these regulations, the actual miles per gallon drivers would see on the road would be significantly lower, even for compliant vehicles.)

Automakers face hefty fees when they fall short of fuel economy requirements, which are known as Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standards.

The proposal will be open for public comment for 60 days.

What are the 2030 goals?
He doesn’t reveal which/whose/what target (likely a combination if international, internal, and WAG), just they already realize they don’t have a powertrain in place that will carry them to 2030 and are exploring all pathways.

Goes on to say how much of a challenge the Land Cruiser creates because of the nature of it’s use, especially in other countries.

Last edited:
4Runner made in North America? Count me out, for sure. I would just go get an orange 4R TRD Pro from a few years ago.

Makes a lot of sense to me that the 4runner is going to switch to the same line as the Tacoma...

Makes a lot of sense to me that the 4runner is going to switch to the same line as the Tacoma...
4Runner made in North America? Count me out, for sure. I would just go get an orange 4R TRD Pro from a few years ago.
Not trying to start that rumor and it doesn’t mention anything in the articles, just an idea that may make sense if they are sharing a lot with the Tacoma and need more production for other model lines.

Certainly would be odd, but it happened with the mini truck and didn’t seem to slow those sales down.

I'd guess production moving to the USA or Mexico is going to happen due to labor costs if nothing else. Not really a matter of if, but when. Japan has a demographic problem that makes manufacturing cars pretty challenging. It gets a lot worse in the next 10-20 years. Compared to somewhere like Mexico - if I'm going to expand my production capacity - it's a pretty easy choice between the two places.

1692137815451.png

Compare to Mexico:
1692137970571.png

Doesn’t sound like many have been inside a modern auto manufacturing plant. It’s mostly robotics doing the assembly. There’s a video online of the new BMW factory in Mexico building the 3 series. Take a look see.

Doesn’t sound like many have been inside a modern auto manufacturing plant. It’s mostly robotics doing the assembly. There’s a video online of the new BMW factory in Mexico building the 3 series. Take a look see.
Many have not, but so what? Robots or not, my understanding that there is no room in Mexico for 4runner… unless Toyota has been doing secret capacity expansion without anybody knowing about it, which would be a first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom