AFe Momentum GT Intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to purchase the AFe intake for my LX570. I had one previously on my GX460 and it really added a nice grumble to the engine and made it sound pretty burly. Except for one resonance at 2500 rpm, it was fairly decent.

The 200 series intake is similar to the GX intake and fit really well but so far I have not heard any kind of resonance at all. Its quiet at idle and I would say even up to probably 2500 rpm and then it seems to make the engine growl more as the RPM's increase. Its not annoying, it sounds good.

I did not necessarily buy this for power. But I did do a before and after set of WOT pulls in 2nd gear for comparison and was a bit surprised by the results:

AFE Pulls.JPG

So with the intake installed the MAF was showing something like a 3-4 lb/min increase in air flow. That is actually the opposite of what I saw with my GX460, which actually dropped about 10% with the AFE intake. When I asked AFE about it, they said they spoof the MAF sensor slightly so that it reads lower to help lean the engine out when at WOT. In other words, they make the ECU think less air is coming into the engine than there actually is so that it sprays a bit less fuel to counteract Toyota's very conservative AFR tuning. That is actually how they claim to get more power, not because of improvements in air flow.

So I am a little surprised to see this intake showing MORE airflow. I am probably going to ping AFe's technical team to see whats up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom