Instrument lightbulb change out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced the alternator in my 77 FJ55 and now the light on my left instrument gauge is out. Any hints on changing these bulbs? My shop manual is a little vague.

Remove the two screws on the front of the cluster. The bottom of the cluster has 2 tabs on the bottom, so you'll need to pry it from the top. Once you've gotten it loose, disconnect the circular harness plug, and the two wire leads that are held on with two nuts. Then you'll have to remove the speedometer cable from the back. It is held on with a single spring steel fitting. Lift up on the end of the fitting closest to the back of the cluster, while simultaneously pulling the cable away from the back of the cluster. You can rock it back and forth and twist slightly to help get it free.

Then your cluster should pop right out.

The lightbulb holders are twist lock. Just give him a twist, and they should come right out. And then, simply pull the bulbs out of the black plastic holders. When installing the new bulbs, keep in mind not to let your bare skin touch the glass or it can cause premature bulb failure.

Last edited:
FWIW - While @MScruiser process is correct, there is something that you need to do before you start the above. Either disconnect the battery or separate the fusible link at the battery. If not, you will possibly create a fireworks display in your dash and could short something out.

Thanks guys! Looks like an new project has been added to the list.

I can get to a few(upper, turn signals) bulbs without pulling the cluster all the way out, but it's not easy with big hands

I replaced all the bulb holders when I had it all the way out, one or more just didn't want to clip back in as well as I liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom