Installing idler "frost plug"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
How does one install the idler "frost plug" on the single peice case? The PO knocked out the frost plug so that is one reason why the case was leaking alll the time on the FJ45LV.

I was going to throw the frost plug in the freezer or between dry ice and then try and tap it in with some locktite to seal it up but if there is a better way, I'd like to hear it!

This is the frost plug at the one end of the idler shaft that is not sealed with the "O" ring. It's not like a regular frost plug either in that the convex surface faces out.

Yup - I put it in with the domed surface outward and smacked it good using a brass drift and big hammer. That flattens it out enough to stay in there.

Does yours not fit in? I don't see what ice would do except make it temporarily smaller. Mine needed to be bigger to stay in there.

You are dealing with a welch plug, as opposed to the more common cup plug.

A welch plug should be a perfect fit into the bore, resting on a machined shoulder in the bore. Apply sealer to outside edge before installing. With plug bottomed in bore, convex side out, smack center of plug w/ flat drift to flatten and expand it.

Useless Cruiser trivia: Welch plugs are also found at the ends of the main oil gallery on F & 2F blocks, and core holes on very early F blocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom